Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    18 Nov '12 09:21
    Sports subject in an argumentative forum. Let's go!
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    18 Nov '12 14:12 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Sports subject in an argumentative forum. Let's go!
    I don't know if he's the greatest qb. Some would consider Joe Montana to be the greatest.

    Or if you mean the greatest player regardless of position, I think OJ or Barry Sanders were greater players. Bo Jackson possibly, if his career wasn't shortened by injuries. Deion Sanders was also a greater player, in my opinion.
  3. 18 Nov '12 16:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    I don't know if he's the greatest qb. Some would consider Joe Montana to be the greatest.

    Or if you mean the greatest player regardless of position, I think OJ or Barry Sanders were greater players. Bo Jackson possibly, if his career wasn't shortened by injuries. Deion Sanders was also a greater player, in my opinion.
    Who was the greatest quarterback or running back ever is debatable.

    The greatest football player ever is Jerry Rice. No other player dominated their respective position to the point that you can't make a serious case for someone else being better.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Nov '12 16:17
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Sports subject in an argumentative forum. Let's go!
    While Peyton may be the most talented QB ever and to me he's the most fun to watch of any QB ever the way he audibles on every play, I don't think he came through in the big spot a high enough % of the time to be called the best ever.

    Between the pick he threw against NO in the super bowl and the number of time he couldn't beat the Pats, I think you just might have to give the not to Brady or Montana. It's a bit of a shame because I'm pretty sure he had more talent than Brady and if he were on the Pats, I'm sure he could have won as much or more, but based on how they did head to head it's hard to rank him above Brady.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Nov '12 16:19
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Who was the greatest quarterback or running back ever is debatable.

    The greatest football player ever is Jerry Rice. No other player dominated their respective position to the point that you can't make a serious case for someone else being better.
    The best player I ever saw was probably Barry Sanders. Rice was great, no doubt. But for the guy who did more with less around him year in and year out, Sanders was just incredible. He's the only RB I've ever seen that could do well without a good o-line.
  6. 18 Nov '12 16:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    While Peyton may be the most talented QB ever and to me he's the most fun to watch of any QB ever the way he audibles on every play, I don't think he came through in the big spot a high enough % of the time to be called the best ever.

    Between the pick he threw against NO in the super bowl and the number of time he couldn't beat the Pats, I think you just mig ...[text shortened]... s much or more, but based on how they did head to head it's hard to rank him above Brady.
    I was always partial to Dan Marino. He is certainly one of the great QB's of the game.
    If he was on a better team through out his career, there is no telling what he would of done. Maybe got a Super Bowl ring at the very least.

    But Peyton is smashing all of his records (or,has smashed them all ? not really sure) and he is my favorite to watch in action.

    As far as who was the "greatest player ever", I can't really say.
  7. 18 Nov '12 17:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The best player I ever saw was probably Barry Sanders. Rice was great, no doubt. But for the guy who did more with less around him year in and year out, Sanders was just incredible. He's the only RB I've ever seen that could do well without a good o-line.
    Barry Sanders was always my favorite to watch. The trouble with calling a player the greatest ever is that its a team sport. If Barry sanders had played behind the cowboys o-line, he may have had a 2500 yd season. At least he would have had several 2000 yd seasons. He may have retired out of sheer boredom. You can't hardly argue that Rice wasn't the greatest receiver that ever played, but he also played on one of the greatest teams ever.

    To that end, you have to look at the teams that Manning played on. I certainly wouldn't call any of them great. Some were pretty good, but all of them, without Manning, would have been 10 win teams at best.

    Edit: stupid spelling mistakes, I can't just leave them alone.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Nov '12 17:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I was always partial to Dan Marino. He is certainly one of the great QB's of the game.
    If he was on a better team through out his career, there is no telling what he would of done. Maybe got a Super Bowl ring at the very least.

    But Peyton is smashing all of his records (or,has smashed them all ? not really sure) and he is my favorite to watch in action.

    As far as who was the "greatest player ever", I can't really say.
    Marino is very similar to Manning. Great, great player; not such a great team around him. Manning has a SB win and was much better year in and year out in leading his team to excellent records.

    Marino may have been the best pure passer in history, but I have to put him behind Brady, Montana and Manning. I don't know about Unitas. He was before my time.
  9. 18 Nov '12 18:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    The best player I ever saw was probably Barry Sanders. Rice was great, no doubt. But for the guy who did more with less around him year in and year out, Sanders was just incredible. He's the only RB I've ever seen that could do well without a good o-line.
    The thing is you can make reasonable arguments that other RB's are better. Walter Payton, for example, is a very reasonable assessment for the best ever.

    You really can't make a reasonable argument that any reciever was better than Jerry Rice.
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    18 Nov '12 19:27
    I think Michael Vick and Doug Floutie are two most fun to watch QB's of all time.
  11. 18 Nov '12 19:36
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Sports subject in an argumentative forum. Let's go!
    Who T F is Peyton Manning and is He the Greatest ever what?
  12. 18 Nov '12 20:12 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Who T F is Peyton Manning and is He the Greatest ever what?
    He is a quarterback, used to play for the Colts now i don't know who he plays for, flip
    sake dude, even i have heard of him. I also heard of Dan Marino, used to play for the
    Dolphins I think.
  13. 18 Nov '12 20:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    He is a quarterback, used to play for the Colts now i don't know who he plays for, flip
    sake dude, even i have heard of him. I also heard of Dan Marino, used to play for the
    Dolphins I think.
    Yeah but then you are a very active parishioner of the Global Village Robbie, whereas I have barely heard of 'San Marino'. did He play for the 'Dolphins' too, what sort of music do they like anyway? New Wave I expect.
  14. 18 Nov '12 20:54
    Peyton Manning is good, but he's nothing like Garry Kasparov.
  15. 18 Nov '12 21:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Peyton Manning is good, but he's nothing like Garry Kasparov.
    Now your talking, and He has a 'K' in His Name.