1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:20
    Originally posted by sh76
    By the way, for all your claims that I abandon discussions, when are you going justify your assertion that I "airbrushed Canada out of D-Day" when, in fact, I did no such thing?
    Five beaches. Two British. One Canadian. Two American.

"It was primarily a British-American thing".

Ouch!

Sorry to have sussed you out. Wriggle on. Squirm if you must. As you well know, I will grant you full respect if you climb down.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:21
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Why does it matter?

It wasn't in the name of christianity, nor any religion.
    Did the 9/11 "pilots" do the equivalent of "crossing themselves" as they made their final approach towards the twin towers?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:22
    Originally posted by FMF

"It was primarily a British-American thing".

Ouch!

Sorry to have sussed you out. Wriggle on. Squirm if you must. As you well know, I will grant you full respect if you climb down.
    US: 21 Divisions
    UK: 19 Divisions
    Canada: 5 divisions

All of the major commanders were American or British.

"It was primarily a US-British operation" = accurate

I don't believe you'll grant me full respect no matter what I do. You're a bully and bullies don't respect people who back down.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:251 edit
    The intent of the people that ordered it is what matters. It was done with the intent to end the war and spare the United States the need to invade Japan, which would have cost hundreds of thousands of casualties. Justified or not, comparing it to the murder of an abortion doctor in the name of preventing abortions because they are antithetical to Christian doctrine is not accurate.
    I'm sorry, but I don't see the motivations as very different. Both are justifying their killing on the basis of saving lives in the future.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:27
    US: 21 Divisions
    UK: 19 Divisions
    Canada: 5 divisions

All of the major commanders were American or British.

"It was primarily a US-British operation" = accurate

I don't believe you'll grant me full respect no matter what I do. You're a bully and bullies don't respect people who back down.

Don't be a woosie.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:33
    Originally posted by FMF

Don't be a woosie.
    "Primarily" still makes his comment accurate.

Does this off-topic discussion serve any purpose in this thread?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Did the 9/11 "pilots" do the equivalent of "crossing themselves" as they made their final approach towards the twin towers?
    I know its hard for your litte brain to understand, especially with that crown above your head, queen of hypocrisy, but the terrorist did what they did in the name of Islam, for they were members of a Islamic terrorist organisation. The people who bombed hiroshima were following orders from the US government (that is secular by the way) and it was based entirely on non-religious reasons.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "Primarily" still makes his comment accurate.
    He didn't even know. You'd never have let him get away with it if it were your hobby horse. But Hiroshima is your "on-topic" hobby horse tonight. What a twat you are, when all is said and done.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    He didn't even know. You'd never have let him get away with it if it were your hobby horse. But Hiroshima is your "on-topic" hobby horse tonight. What a twat you are, when all is said and done.
    Stop being so juvenile.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:45
    I know its hard for your litte brain to understand, especially with that crown above your head, queen of hypocrisy, but the terrorist did what they did in the name of Islam, for they were members of a Islamic terrorist organisation.
    A bunch of criminals - or "members of a Islamic terrorist organisation", as you put it. What is your point? I asks sh76 "did the 9/11 "pilots" do the equivalent of "crossing themselves" as they made their final approach towards the twin towers?" which you seem to regard as 'irrelevant'. But you see, I asked him: "Are you saying that the crew of Enola Gay didn't cross themselves as they went in on the bombing run?" To which the answer was: "The intent of the people that ordered it is what matters." So in this context, who is it you are claiming - from "Islam" as it were - ordered the 9/11 attacks?
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    A bunch of criminals - or "members of a Islamic terrorist organisation", as you put it. What is your point? I asks sh76 "did the 9/11 "pilots" do the equivalent of "crossing themselves" as they made their final approach towards the twin towers?" which you seem to regard as 'irrelevant'. But you see, I asked him: "Are you saying that the crew of Enola Gay didn't ...[text shortened]... ho is it you are claiming - from "Islam" as it were - ordered the 9/11 attacks?
    It doesn't matter if they crossed themselves, the purpose of their mission wasn't religious nor did it have anything to do with religion.

Does that answer your question?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:50
    I know its hard for your litte brain to understand, especially with that crown above your head, queen of hypocrisy, but the terrorist did what they did in the name of Islam, for they were members of a Islamic terrorist organisation. The people who bombed hiroshima were following orders from the US government (that is secular by the way) and it was based entirely on non-religious reasons.
    It's really not that simple. The goals of the leaders of the 9/11 terrorists is broadly nationalist and anti-colonialist as well as religious.

The US government in 1945 was composed of people who accepted Christian ethical principles (at least in theory) and who tended to justify Hiroshima based on the same.

So the issue is more nuanced than presented.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:50
    Stop being so juvenile.
    You're a great debater, let down only by your own juvenility. You personalize everything and yet berate others for personalizing things. You hijack threads and yet berate others for doing what you decree to be the same thing. You dish out trite personal insults - ad infinitum - but have aglass chin when it is reciprocated. I understand your need to be the despised loner. Prickly in every direction. Yes, yes. But don't forget that, despite your abilities and despite your willingness to apply rigour to the art of debate, you are a standing joke, and famous for your lack of charm and humour. Failure to recognize this is a type of juvenility that goes way way beyond mine.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:52
    Does that answer your question?
    No. Because my question was "Who is it from "Islam" that you are claiming ordered the 9/11 attacks?"
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:54
    It's really not that simple. The goals of the leaders of the 9/11 terrorists is broadly nationalist and anti-colonialist as well as religious.

The US government in 1945 was composed of people who accepted Christian ethical principles (at least in theory) and who tended to justify Hiroshima based on the same.

So the issue is more nuanced than presented.

it was a wartime measure, the only justifications for the bombing were military, not religious.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree