1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 13:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes I do, just like I would view the Nazi regime as filth for coming up with medical innovations at the expense of Jewish medical prisoners.
    Does Ben Carson's admission that he used fetal tissue in his medical research render him "filth" IYO?
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 13:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Since they are not allowed to profit but merely to recoup "reasonable expenses" according to the law, the premise of this post is faulty.

The other issue is for another thread.
    Just curious, have you watched any of those videos? It's clear they're trying to do quite a bit more than just cover costs. It's a profit center.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 13:48
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Just curious, have you watched any of those videos? It's clear they're trying to do quite a bit more than just cover costs. It's a profit center.
    I've read transcripts. No, it isn't "clear" at all - the types of payments mentioned could not possibly be anything more than reimbursements for expenses.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:14
    I've read transcripts. No, it isn't "clear" at all - the types of payments mentioned could not possibly be anything more than reimbursements for expenses.
    Planned Parenthood operates as a non profit with government subsidies, and contributions from people who support their efforts. I'm betting their books are significantly "cooked'. Forty or fifty bucks a pop for organs or tissue isn't small. Lots of millionaires were created on smaller sales than those.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:17
    Since they are not allowed to profit but merely to recoup "reasonable expenses" according to the law, the premise of this post is faulty.

The other issue is for another thread.
    These are parallel issues. One group is being allowed to profit from the sale of human tissue, and others are not.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:19
    Yeah medical research has never helped anyone.
    That wasn't my argument.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    These are parallel issues. One group is being allowed to profit from the sale of human tissue, and others are not.
    For the second time, the law makes clear they cannot profit from the donation of fetal tissue, so your premise is faulty.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 16:48
    For the second time, the law makes clear they cannot profit from the donation of fetal tissue, so your premise is faulty.
    You know probably better than I that non profits, aren't always so non profit. Somebody makes money, not that that's a bad thing. Just admit it, and eliminate the non profit, tax exempt status.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 17:20
    You know probably better than I that non profits, aren't always so non profit. Somebody makes money, not that that's a bad thing. Just admit it, and eliminate the non profit, tax exempt status.
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if the donator is a non-profit or for profit entity the law bares anyone from making a profit off any transaction involving the donation of fetal tissue.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 17:221 edit
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if the donator is a non-profit or for profit entity the law bares anyone from making a profit off any transaction involving the donation of fetal tissue.
    Then if there is a profit at Planned Parenthood, perhaps there should be prosecutions. Of course everyone obeys the law, particularly leftists.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 17:54
    Then if there is a profit at Planned Parenthood, perhaps there should be prosecutions. Of course everyone obeys the law, particularly leftists.
    I seriously doubt that payments of $100 or less for fetal tissue are anything but reimbursements for expenses. Experts in the field say that there is no way one could profit at those levels:

We also asked experts in the use of human tissue for research about the potential for profit. Sherilyn J. Sawyer, the director of Harvard University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s “biorepository,” told us that “there’s no way there’s a profit at that price.” She continued in an email:

Sawyer, July 20: In reality, $30-100 probably constitutes a loss for [Planned Parenthood]. The costs associated with collection, processing, storage, and inventory and records management for specimens are very high. Most hospitals will provide tissue blocks from surgical procedures (ones no longer needed for clinical purposes, and without identity) for research, and cost recover for their time and effort in the range of $100-500 per case/block. In the realm of tissues for research $30-100 is completely reasonable and normal fee.

Jim Vaught, president of the International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories and formerly the deputy director of the National Cancer Institute’s Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research, told us in an email that “$30 to $100 per sample is a reasonable charge for clinical operations to recover their costs for providing tissue.” In fact, he said, the costs to a clinic are often much higher, but most operations that provide this kind of tissue have “no intention of fully recovering [their] costs, much less making a profit.”

Carolyn Compton, the chief medical and science officer of Arizona State University’s National Biomarkers Development Alliance and a former director of biorepositories and biospecimen research at the National Cancer Institute, agreed that this was “a modest price tag for cost recovery.” Compton told us in an email: ” ‘Profit’ is out of the question, in my mind. I would say that whoever opined about ‘profit’ knows very little about the effort and expense involved in providing human biospecimens for research purposes.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/unspinning-the-planned-parenthood-video/
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 18:10
    Potentials aren't realities.
    These "potentials" involving fetal tissue became "realities":

tissue from fetuses has been used since the 1930s for a variety of purposes. Perhaps most famously, the 1954 Nobel Prize in medicine was awarded to researchers who managed to grow polio vaccine in fetal kidney cell cultures.

In another example, Leonard Hayflick created a cell line from an aborted fetus in the early 1960s that has been used to create vaccines against measles, rubella, shingles and other diseases. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, told the journal Nature in 2013 that “[t]hese cells from one fetus have no doubt saved the lives of millions of people.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/unspinning-the-planned-parenthood-video/
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 05:441 edit
    http://onenewsnow.com/pro-life/2015/07/21/livers-and-a-lamborghini-more-baby-selling-footage

A second Planned Parenthood official has been recorded discussing the sale of baby parts, this time joking that she hopes to buy an Italian sports car with the revenue.

The first undercover video (see bottom video) by the Center for Medical Progress showed ...[text shortened]... such as – ‘lowball’ and her desire for a ‘Lamborghini.’ These are human lives – not specimens."
    Is this canabism?
    Why sell body parts if not for that?
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 08:15
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Is this canabism?
    Why sell body parts if not for that?
    Is this even the English language?
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 08:21
    The pursuit of happiness is OK just so long as you are not murdering people along the way.

What is ironic is, the pursuit of happiness is not OK when it comes to economic freedom according to hypocrites like you.
    Your ideological (because otherwise it is totally meaningless here) appeal to economic freedom is the sort of argument that has been justified slavery (people become property), colonialism, genocide of the native Americans, use of military force to demand "open markets" and ongoing attacks against the rights of workers as against employers, devastation of the natural environment in pursuit of resources... Inter alia.

What is not okay is placing property rights at the heart of your value system.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree