1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 01:39
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I took the test and I was exactly where Ghandi was. I know little about him other than I totally disagree whith his definition of terrorism. -1.9 on one scale and -4. something on the other. I didn't write them down before closing the site. I think there is a good chance the test is biased somewhat.
    Do you consider yourself more liberal than any mainstream American politician in your lifetime?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 01:41
    I took the test and I was exactly where Ghandi was. I know little about him other than I totally disagree whith his definition of terrorism. -1.9 on one scale and -4. something on the other. I didn't write them down before closing the site. I think there is a good chance the test is biased somewhat.
    I had taken the test before and came out:

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.03

which makes me a very left wing libertarian, which means: anarchist.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 01:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you consider yourself more liberal than any mainstream American politician in your lifetime?
    No, because I really haven't got a clear picture of what liberal is. On some issues I would be considered liberal by some. Other issues I am considered a right wing looney job. Sometimes I think we are quick to label and classify without really getting to know someone. A few issues discussed will not be enough to really know someone.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 02:051 edit
    No, because I really haven't got a clear picture of what liberal is. On some issues I would be considered liberal by some. Other issues I am considered a right wing looney job. Sometimes I think we are quick to label and classify without really getting to know someone. A few issues discussed will not be enough to really know someone.
    I just say that because your test results place you far to the left (and down towards anarchist) than any mainstream American politician in your lifetime.

(Well, okay, maybe there's an exception somewhere that I don't recall offhand.)

If you don't think that's the case, the test must be flawed or you must not understand yourself politically. I say that because I'm in the same boat.
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 02:15
    I just say that because your test results place you far to the left (and down towards anarchist) than any mainstream American politician in your lifetime.

(Well, okay, maybe there's an exception somewhere that I don't recall offhand.)

If you don't think that's the case, the test must be flawed or you must not understand yourself politically. I say that because I'm in the same boat.
    I think the left right paradigm has boxed a lot of folks in. I am democrat so I believe in pro choice. Or, I am Republican so I have to believe in giving tax breaks to the rich. There is some variation there within the ranks, but most people look at one issue and make a judgement based on this paradigm. I personally have nothing against a homosexual being commander in chief, but also think homosexuals should not serve with the rank and file soldier. Does that make me liberal. Does that make me a bigot? I despise racism. You may be onto something about the test being flawed. I used to be pretty much in agreement with anything Ronald Reagan said. Not now though.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 15:41
    I think that's part of generalissimo's point:

He's saying that this isn't really a "left-right" question and yet the test still uses the takers answer to place him to the right or left of the spectrum.

Then again, maybe that question only is used for the y-axis of the spectrum (the authoritarian-libertarian axis) determination. I guess you can argue more ...[text shortened]... more authoritarian and less libertarian. Maybe that answers your question, Generalissimo?
    Then again, maybe that question only is used for the y-axis of the spectrum (the authoritarian-libertarian axis) determination. I guess you can argue more supporting one's country means more authoritarian and less libertarian. Maybe that answers your question, Generalissimo?

Again, that still has the same problem, an authoritarian is not necessarily a patriot, and a libertarian isn't necessarily incapable of being patriotic.

That question was one of the many other questions that are irrelevant, when determining where you stand.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 16:00
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Again, that still has the same problem, an authoritarian is not necessarily a patriot, and a libertarian isn't necessarily incapable of being patriotic.
    Well, not "necessarily" perhaps, but there is a connection.

I can buy the idea that one who would "support his country under all circumstances" (or whatever the question was) leans more towards the authoritarian side and one who doesn't believe in supporting one's country because it's one's country leans more towards the libertarian side.

None of the questions are designed to individually be absolute barometers; that's why there are so many questions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree