1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 01:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    As I said, if the populace is wicked the natural reaction of the state is to impose more laws to constrain them. It does nothing to improve the morality of the populace, rather, it merely inhibits the oppurtunity to continue doing evil things.
    I am asking you to explain why you think the Nakoula Basseley Nakoula case demonstrates that the U.S. is "an immoral state" with a government that is "making everything illegal". Are you aware of the crimes Nakoula was convicted of? Do you think his crimes should have been ignored by the state?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 01:141 edit
    The state should not have anything to say about who can get married and who should not. In fact, buying a marriage liscence is down right retarded. Why is the state involved?
    Getting the state out of the business of protecting married people [and their children] and defining their rights and responsibilities through laws, and the enforcement of those laws, may take another generation, or two or three. In the meantime, do you think the institutionalized discrimination against homosexuals should simply be allowed to continue?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 01:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am asking you to explain why you think the Nakoula Basseley Nakoula case demonstrates that the U.S. is "an immoral state" with a government that is "making everything illegal". Are you aware of the crimes Nakoula was convicted of? Do you think his crimes should have been ignored by the state?
    Crimes? The man was sentenced for fraud in 2010 and apparently one of the conditions of his probate was to not use the internet without permission from his parol officer. Is this a crime? If he did he certainly broke the rules, but to say it is a crime seems a bit hysterical. So they are looking into whether or not the film proves that he broke his parol. Had it not been for the film, they would not be investigating him at all even though they seem to indicate that the making of the film is not really what is on trial here due to 1rst amendment rights.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 01:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Getting the state out of the business of protecting married people [and their children] and defining their rights and responsibilities through laws, and the enforcement of those laws, may take another generation, or two or three. In the meantime, do you think the institutionalized discrimination against homosexuals should simply be allowed to continue?
    You in no way need marriage to protect couples or their children. This is absurd.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 02:34
    Crimes? The man was sentenced for fraud in 2010 and apparently one of the conditions of his probate was to not use the internet without permission from his parol officer. Is this a crime? If he did he certainly broke the rules, but to say it is a crime seems a bit hysterical. So they are looking into whether or not the film proves that he broke his parol. ...[text shortened]... te that the making of the film is not really what is on trial here due to 1rst amendment rights.
    How much money did he steal from people? Do you think the state should have ignored his crimes?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 02:35
    You in no way need marriage to protect couples or their children. This is absurd.
    Do you think the institutionalized discrimination against homosexuals should be perpetuated until you get what you want in terms of marriage laws?
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 05:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think the institutionalized discrimination against homosexuals should be perpetuated until you get what you want in terms of marriage laws?
    I do not think the zoo will allow what you want in terms of marriage.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 04:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    How much money did he steal from people? Do you think the state should have ignored his crimes?
    Who said anyone ignored them? He was out on parol FMF.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 04:28
    Who said anyone ignored them? He was out on parol FMF.
    And he was arrested when his breaking of the conditions came to the authorities' attention. The parole/probation was part of his punishment for stealing somewhere in the region of $1,000,000 from ordinary fellow citizens. You still have not explained how the U.S. enforcing these laws demonstrates that it is "an immoral state" with a government that is "making everything illegal".
  10. Joined
    08 Sep '12
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 03:26
    My first thought is a question, do the two words or ideals belong in the same sentence?
    The only thing i am sure that any government in history has proven is that you can not legislate morality. Yet we as the public body continue to try. I once heard that the truest definition of insanity was "to do the same thing over and over the same ay and expect a different out come." Possibly if we could take the greed out of mankind we would not have to worry so mecu about morality?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 14:38
    Originally posted by wizard100947
    [b]My first thought is a question, do the two words or ideals belong in the same sentence?
    The only thing i am sure that any government in history has proven is that you can not legislate morality.b]
    Then you don't know your history. For example, before slavery was made illegal in the US the consensus was that slavery was "OK". However, years after being made illegal the thought of it is repugnant to all.

It is a sobering reminder of how we are mere lemmings.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 06:00
    Consider the following quotes from James Madison and Benjamin Franklin and from Charles De Montesquieu.

First Madison's quote:

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

Now from Ben Franklin:

"The Constitution is likely to be well ...[text shortened]... le of government to enforce morality? If not, what laws, if any, are devoid of morality?
    This is what I have to say to you: this is it. This one counts. Liberals don't like laws, and logic; they like feelings and and being able to pick and choose.

We get this one wrong, and it might well herald the end of the Republic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree