Poorest States run by Republicans

Poorest States run by Republicans

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

Kind of counter to the right wing narrative here:

Eighteen of the 19 poorest states have legislatures where both chambers are Republican controlled. New Mexico (46th richest, fifth poorest) is Democratic. But there isn’t another blue or purple state until you get to purple Maine (31st richest, 20th poorest) with its “split” legislature of one party in each chamber. All the states in between (such as Tennessee and Florida) are Republican, both chambers. So is Michigan, where Republicans hold all high state offices (where Donald Trump won in 2016). Above New Mexico, you jump all the way to middle of the pack Vermont (27th richest, 24th poorest) to find a state with both legislative chambers held by Democrats.

But all five richest states have both legislative chambers controlled by Democrats – Maryland, New Jersey, Hawaii, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Overall, Democrats dominate the 20 richest states.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2018/10/21/midterms-poorest-states-have-republican-legislatures/1694273002/

Maybe a willingness to spend money in investment for public infrastructure works a bit better than just cutting taxes as far as the economy goes? Other theories are welcome.

EDIT: Of the five highest income States (all run by Democratic legislatures), 4 are among the top 12 in tax burden and Massachusetts is 18th. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

q

Moves
22 Oct 18

I think you are implying that tax rate caused the wealth when it is more likely to be the other way around. Wealthier states feel they have the luxury of taxing and investing more and poorer states know that they don't have that luxury. In the end you obviously need a certain amount of infrastructure but you don't want to make the tax burden so high that people continually move to avoid taxes (as many people in my home state).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
I think you are implying that tax rate caused the wealth when it is more likely to be the other way around. Wealthier states feel they have the luxury of taxing and investing more and poorer states know that they don't have that luxury. In the end you obviously need a certain amount of infrastructure but you don't want to make the tax burden so high that people continually move to avoid taxes (as many people in my home state).
One would think that with all those productive people fleeing the high tax States that the median income in them would quickly fall. Do you have empirical evidence to support this?

K

Germany

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
All of the world's most prosperous economies have relatively high taxes and substantial public sectors. How do you explain this?

w

Moves
22 Oct 18

@no1marauder said
Kind of counter to the right wing narrative here:

Eighteen of the 19 poorest states have legislatures where both chambers are Republican controlled. New Mexico (46th richest, fifth poorest) is Democratic. But there isn’t another blue or purple state until you get to purple Maine (31st richest, 20th poorest) with its “split” legislature of one party in each chamb ...[text shortened]... en and Massachusetts is 18th. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/
And I think if you polled CEO's most would be Dims as well.

Yep, the party of elitists is the Dim party

q

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
All of the world's most prosperous economies have relatively high taxes and substantial public sectors. How do you explain this?
When you are prosperous you enjoy certain luxuries including helping those who produce the least.

w

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
When you are prosperous you enjoy certain luxuries including helping those who produce the least.
Marxist Leftists are all about making money.

That is how they define success and human worth.

It's all about class warfare and getting your piece of the pie.

q

Moves
22 Oct 18

@no1marauder said
One would think that with all those productive people fleeing the high tax States that the median income in them would quickly fall. Do you have empirical evidence to support this?
I don't think it is necessarily the most productive or the most wealthy. As you know, in New York it is common for retirees to snowbird (live in Florida or another warmer area for the winter). These people take advantage of cheaper land in a low tax area while they they benefit from the weather at a time when they don't need to be in any one place because they aren't working. Similarly a lot of younger people with smaller business or job where they can move go to lower tax areas also down south so they can afford to purchase more.
You can look at states and population growth and and the top 10 states include places like Texas, Florida and Nevada plus which, it is my understanding have lower tax rates.

K

Germany

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
All of the world's most prosperous economies became prosperous after implementing relatively high taxes and substantial public sectors. How do you explain this?

w

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

@kazetnagorra said
All of the world's most prosperous economies became prosperous after implementing relatively high taxes and substantial public sectors. How do you explain this?
I think I understand the problem here.

States that are not Progressive are not enlightened. Their knuckles drag the ground as they walk and if it were not for the loving tender hearted policies of the Dims, like throwing welfare crumbs to the conservative poor folk, they would all be dying in the streets.

After all, Progressives have all the answers for everyone.

Oddly enough, the same answers also apply to everyone.

q

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
That's just simply untrue. There is a huge cost to raising taxes and we should fight our government's seemingly never ending desire to expand and choke out the private sector.

w

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
That's just simply untrue. There is a huge cost to raising taxes and we should fight our government's seemingly never ending desire to expand and choke out the private sector.
But...but....they are rich.

Can't this just go on forever?

K

Germany

Moves
22 Oct 18

@quackquack said
As a matter of fact, it is simply true.

w

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
As a matter of fact, it is simply true.
But...but....conservatives and the GOP are the greedy ones.

Why is they want to be poor?

K

Germany

Moves
22 Oct 18

@whodey said
But...but....conservatives and the GOP are the greedy ones.

Why is they want to be poor?
That's a good question, whodey. Why do you favour economic policies that you know reduce prosperity in your society?