1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 17:381 edit
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-secretly-met-kentucky-clerk-refused-gay-marriage-080339619.html

(Reuters) - Pope Francis met a Kentucky county clerk, who was jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, during his visit to the United States last week, the Vatican said on Wednesday."I do not deny that the meeting took place, but I have no comment to add," Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said in a statement.
    Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis and her husband met the pope during the Washington leg of his U.S. visit, she and her lawyer told American media.
    The Davis couple traveled to Washington and met the pope at the Vatican embassy last Thursday, ABC News and CBS News reported.
    "It was really very humbling to even think that he would want to, you know, meet me or know me," Davis told ABC. "I put my hand out, and he grabbed it, and I hugged him, and he hugged me and he said, 'Thank you for your courage'."
    "He told me before he left, he said, 'Stay strong.' That was a great encouragement," Davis said.
    Davis said knowing that the pope agreed with what she was doing "kind of validates everything."
    ABC said the pope gave Davis a rosary, which she plans to give to her Catholic parents.
    The pope, speaking to reporters as he returned home from his 10-day trip to the United States and Cuba on Monday, said government officials had a "human right" to refuse to discharge a duty if they felt it violated their conscience.
    Davis was jailed for five days in September for refusing to comply with a judge's order to issue the licenses in line with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling.
    Davis has said her beliefs as an Apostolic Christian prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Her church belongs to a Protestant movement known as Apostolic Pentecostalism.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 21:20
    Why does everyone think the Pope met her in secret? Is he ashamed to meet with her?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 21:35
    Where did all the Pope fans go? :'(
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 04:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-secretly-met-kentucky-clerk-refused-gay-marriage-080339619.html

(Reuters) - Pope Francis met a Kentucky county clerk, who was jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, during his visit to the United States last week, the Vatican said on Wednesday."I do not deny that the meeting took place, but I have no c ...[text shortened]... same-sex couples. Her church belongs to a Protestant movement known as Apostolic Pentecostalism.
    Kim Davis can resign her job any time if her faith won't permit her to issue gay marriage licenses, instead she seizes every opportunity for a photo op, and to stay in the spotlight as much as possible. Secret or not, her meeting with the Pope is just another publicity stunt. I'm not impressed.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 07:41
    Why does everyone think the Pope met her in secret? Is he ashamed to meet with her?
    The fact that he met with her is confirmation enough, there was no need to make anything of it and as has been pointed out a person has a human right to desist from any action that a government agency insists upon if that action is a violation of their conscience.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 11:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The fact that he met with her is confirmation enough, there was no need to make anything of it and as has been pointed out a person has a human right to desist from any action that a government agency insists upon if that action is a violation of their conscience.
    But the Pope came to her like Nicademus in the dead of night.

What does that say about the Catholic church?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 11:56
    Originally posted by bill718
    Kim Davis can resign her job any time if her faith won't permit her to issue gay marriage licenses, instead she seizes every opportunity for a photo op, and to stay in the spotlight as much as possible. Secret or not, her meeting with the Pope is just another publicity stunt. I'm not impressed.
    What are are you babbling about again bill?

The Pope chose to see her, not the other way round.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:08
    What are are you babbling about again bill?

The Pope chose to see her, not the other way round.
    Actually the Pope's Vatican people did the choosing. Some reports suggest it was more on the issue of conscientious objection, than same sex marriage. However, CO's don't whine about being jailed. It's the point.

http://time.com/4057446/pope-francis-kim-davis-conscientious-objection/
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 19:37
    Pope Francis has denied having a private meeting with Kim Davis, the US city official who was jailed for refusing to issue a gay marriage licence, saying the "brief greeting" with her during a general "audience" in Washington does not equate to a support of her position.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pope-francis-denies-private-meeting-support-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-1522131

Facts are such a nuisance sometimes.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 23:34
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Pope Francis has denied having a private meeting with Kim Davis, the US city official who was jailed for refusing to issue a gay marriage licence, saying the "brief greeting" with her during a general "audience" in Washington does not equate to a support of her position.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pope-francis-denies-private-meeting-support-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-1522131

Facts are such a nuisance sometimes.
    Well sure, now that it has gone public the PC Pope is blushing in shame.

And your point is?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 05:21
    Well sure, now that it has gone public the PC Pope is blushing in shame.

And your point is?
    The point is that Davis claimed the Pope met with her in private and supports her position. The first is blatantly false (she was one of "several dozen"😉 and as to the second:

“The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects.”

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/the-real-story-behind-the-1269547693457462.html

Admittedly right wingers making stuff up is a "dog bites man" story but it's worthwhile to get the facts out.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 12:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The point is that Davis claimed the Pope met with her in private and supports her position. The first is blatantly false (she was one of "several dozen"😉 and as to the second:

“The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its partic ...[text shortened]... ght wingers making stuff up is a "dog bites man" story but it's worthwhile to get the facts out.
    For the record, I don't believe the Pope wanted to meet with Davis. It appears that the Vatican invited her, not the Pope.

This from a yahoo news article.

The statement stressed that “the only real audience” — private meeting— “granted by the Pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family.” As CNN reported Friday afternoon, that student, Yayo Grassi, happens to be an openly gay man who brought along his partner of 19 years. “Three weeks before the trip, [Pope Francis] called me on the phone and said he would love to give me a hug,” Grassi told CNN.

So it appears the Pope wanted to meet a gay man and his partner but not Davis. This is interesting since it is the position of the Catholic church that gay sex is an abomination to God.

What a conflicted man the Pope must be. He wishes to overturn the teachings of such things as gay sex and abortion but is powerless to do so. Maybe he could start his own church or something.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 12:21
    For the record, I don't believe the Pope wanted to meet with Davis. It appears that the Vatican invited her, not the Pope.

This from a yahoo news article.

The statement stressed that “the only real audience” — private meeting— “granted by the Pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family.” As CNN reported Friday afternoon, t ...[text shortened]... y sex and abortion but is powerless to do so. Maybe he could start his own church or something.
    You're an amazingly ignorant person. The Pope hardly wants to "overturn the teachings" of the Church regarding gay sex and abortion. Nowhere in those teachings, however, is there a rule banning him from meeting with gays or women who have had abortions. Do you think Jesus would have espoused such a rule?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 12:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're an amazingly ignorant person. The Pope hardly wants to "overturn the teachings" of the Church regarding gay sex and abortion. Nowhere in those teachings, however, is there a rule banning him from meeting with gays or women who have had abortions. Do you think Jesus would have espoused such a rule?
    The Pope cowers away from people who make a religious stand against what the church calls an abomination, while embracing those who are actively involved in it.

The Pope tells women who have abortions that they will be absolved, while not protesting what the church deems mass murder. Instead, he opts to give lectures about global warming.

Of course, this is no surprise since the Catholic church took the same approach under Nazi Germany. When is Rome do as the Romans do I suppose.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 13:081 edit
    The Pope cowers away from people who make a religious stand against what the church calls an abomination, while embracing those who are actively involved in it.

The Pope tells women who have abortions that they will be absolved, while not protesting what the church deems mass murder. Instead, he opts to give lectures about global warming.

Of course, th ...[text shortened]... church took the same approach under Nazi Germany. When is Rome do as the Romans do I suppose.
    You're a constant pathetic liar with a pathological hatred of Jesus' Church.

Here's what this Pope has said:

Because God is first; God is always first and makes the first move,” he said. “I have a dogmatic certainty: God is in every person’s life. God is in everyone’s life. Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else — God is in this person’s life. You can, you must try to seek God in every human life. Although the life of a person is a land full of thorns and weeds, there is always a space in which the good seed can grow. You have to trust God.”

Could there possibly be a message more in tune with the Gospels? Certainly not your hate filled, ignorant screeches.

The whole article is a good one; maybe you'll learn something about Christianity as it was meant to be.http://www.catholicvote.org/news-alert-pope-francis-follows-jesus-on-abortion/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree