Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 00:18
    I noticed this story in the Guardian Website while doing some background reading for Duchess's Syria thread. I really think offering a life times supply of burgers to anyone who gets themselves up the duff by a World Cup Star is a little bit beyond what might be thought of as good ethics. Do advertisers have any kind of grip on reality?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/20/burger-king-world-cup-pregnant-offer-apology-russian
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 00:35
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I noticed this story in the Guardian Website while doing some background reading for Duchess's Syria thread. I really think offering a life times supply of burgers to anyone who gets themselves up the duff by a World Cup Star is a little bit beyond what might be thought of as good ethics. Do advertisers have any kind of grip on reality?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/20/burger-king-world-cup-pregnant-offer-apology-russian

"Get impregnated by World Cup stars and win free Whoppers, says Burger King
    Burger King’s Russian division has apologized for a social media campaign offering
    free burgers for life to women who get pregnant by football players."

"I noticed this story in the Guardian Website while doing some background reading for Duchess's Syria thread."
    --DeepThought

What relation could this possibly have to my thread about Yemen?

Surely, this promotion could be criticized for being sexist and ageist, appealing only to
    women of child-bearing age. It reinforces the trope that, after winning on the sports
    field or the battlefield, victorious men should expect sexual access to women as a prize.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 00:58
    Originally posted by @duchess64

Burger King’s Russian division has apologized for a social media campaign offering

"I noticed this s ...[text shortened]... ports
    field or the battlefield, victorious men should expect sexual access to women as a prize.
    >What relation could this possibly have to my thread about Yemen?

It doesn't, but most online news sites advertise other stories on the pages they display and I saw it when looking at one of the stories about Yemen. It's extraneous information.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 01:32

"I noticed this s ...[text shortened]... ports
    Surely, this promotion could be criticized for being sexist and ageist, appealing only to
    women of child-bearing age. It reinforces the trope that, after winning on the sports

So, you're going to lodge your complaint about it here? Why don't you tell the Russians about it? They are the ones who did this.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill

So, you're going to lodge your complaint about it here? Why don't you tell the Russians about it? They are the ones who did this.
    "Surely, this promotion could be criticized for being sexist and ageist, appealing only to
    women of child-bearing age."
    --Duchess64

Mchill apparently needs to have my sarcasm clearly labeled before he can recognize it.

"Why don't you tell the Russians about it? They are the ones who did this."
    --Mchill

Mchill apparently overlooked (at best) this from the original article:

"And it’s not just Russia; Burger King has a global track record of misogynistic marketing.
    In Singapore the company advertised a seven-inch burger with overtly sexual imagery
    and a tagline saying “It’ll blow your mind away.” The model featured in the 2009 advertising
    campaign later came forward to say she had no idea her image was going to be used in that way."
  6. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 02:18
    What relation could this possibly have to my thread about Yemen?
    Maybe he accidentally did a headlines search for "Semen."