1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 20:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Population growth correlates with poverty, not wealth, not it's more likely that the no-income-tax states simply have more population growth (and the resulting economic growth) because they are poorer and/or contain more ethnic groups who have more children (e.g. Hispanics).
    Well, population growth via childbirth correlates with poverty, but population growth via migration generally correlates with wealth. Which form of growth are these low-tax states experiencing (or is it both?)
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 20:13
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Well, population growth via childbirth correlates with poverty, but population growth via migration generally correlates with wealth. Which form of growth are these low-tax states experiencing (or is it both?)
    tell it to California.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 20:20
    here's a pointed comment from the Comments section of the link in the OP:

* 4 hours ago

* Mike Percy replied:

The Gates can (and indeed have) structure their finances to bypass these income taxes. I'm not sure what Sr. is bringing home these days, but somehow I suspect his income pales compared to his wealth. I *know* Jr.'s income is but a pittance.

If they were serious, they'd be talking about taxing wealth. They're not, though.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 20:43
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    flogged? ha, how tender-minded you are!

I want the rich decapitated in the public squares, and their money evenly distributed among the peasantry.
    but not in colombia, eh?
  5. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 07:20
    They could both just be correlations. However, you can easily see that the author of the OP is either ignorant or dishonest by not correcting for population size when talking about economic growth. Population growth correlates with poverty, not wealth, not it's more likely that the no-income-tax states simply have more population growth (and the resulti ...[text shortened]... per capita growth, but even then you would only be able to establish correlations, not causes.
    Here's a good quote from Wiki:

"The relationship between tax rates and poverty is disputed. A study comparing high tax Scandinavian countries with the U. S. suggests high tax rates are inversely correlated with poverty rates. The poverty rate, however, is low in some low tax countries such as Switzerland. A comparison of poverty rates between states reveals that some low tax states have low poverty rates. For example, New Hampshire has the lowest poverty rate of any state in the U. S., and has very low taxes (46th among all states). It is true however that in those instances, both Switzerland and New Hampshire have a very high household income and other measure to levy or offset the lack of taxation. For example, Switzerland has Universal Healthcare and a free system of education for children as young as four years old. New Hampshire has no state income tax or sales tax, but does have the nation's highest property taxes."

===

High property taxes are a great way of getting to the goal of taxing "net worth" rather than income -- so kudos to New Hampshire.

A home is not an investment because it doesn't earn any income and costs a pile to maintain. The only thing that got people buying homes like crazy was deducting mortgage interest -- which is nuts. All that did was drive property prices up -- and we see where that lead.

A crazy tax code really screws your economy.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 09:101 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358

"The relationship between tax rates and poverty is disputed. A study comparing high tax Scandinavian countries with the U. S. suggests high tax rates are inversely correlated with poverty rates. The poverty rate, however, is low in some low tax countries such as Switzerland. A comparison of poverty rates between states prices up -- and we see where that lead.

Like I said, the tax burden in Switzerland is (slightly) higher than in the US, so the comparison is not that great. The main reasons Switzerland manages to provide a decent living standard with fairly low taxes (and still be able to afford heavy subsidies on health care and education) are that Switzerland has no army and that it is a haven for people from other countries to evade taxes or harbor their criminal money. By the way, Switzerland does have a progressive taxation system, and also taxes property.

As for mortgage deductions, we can both agree it's a stupid measure.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 10:15
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'd like the rich flogged, please. Thanks.
    Now that's more like it. We'll make an angry demagogue out of you yet. 😉

Or should I say: 😠
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 10:50
    So whats the consensus. If the rich pay more taxes and there's more public funds to go around, are they likely able to make more money or less in that type of environment?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 10:54
    Originally posted by kmax87
    So whats the consensus. If the rich pay more taxes and there's more public funds to go around, are they likely able to make more money or less in that type of environment?
    I don't think there is a general answer to that question. It depends on what the public funds are spent on.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 11:27
    I don't think there is a general answer to that question. It depends on what the public funds are spent on.
    oh the usual suspects like infrastructure that benefits the poor, like affordable public housing widely distributed across the housing market in question,(to avoid a mass build up of psychological defeat, that is one of the great problems that tends to accumulate in the projects) so they can absorb positive pictures of successful families all around them.

Add to this free access to education all the way through college and free healthcare as well.

I dont see why people distance themselves from other people doing it tough in their own back yard.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 16:23
    Originally posted by trev33
    but not in colombia, eh?
    (sarcasm)
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 15:58
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    flogged? ha, how tender-minded you are!

I want the rich decapitated in the public squares, and their money evenly distributed among the peasantry.
    What if someone wants to poor treated that way?
    What a stupid thing to say?
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 16:00
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703882404575520241519315372.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

* OCTOBER 5, 2010

The Bill Gates Income Tax

* If Washington's most famous billionaires are really worried about their state's finances, they'd write personal checks to the government and leave everyone else alone.

by Arthur Laffer

Mr. ...[text shortened]... %, personal income grow by 64.1%, and population increase by 15.5%.

(table)

If you had the government go after wealth instead of income they would be
    crying to big time. As it stands now they can hide what have, go after that, they
    will no longer be sending in money to raise taxes on other people instead of them.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 16:022 edits
    Originally posted by spruce112358

"The relationship between tax rates and poverty is disputed. A study comparing high tax Scandinavian countries with the U. S. suggests high tax rates are inversely correlated with poverty rates. The poverty rate, however, is low in some low tax countries such as Switzerland. A comparison of poverty rates between states prices up -- and we see where that lead.

"A crazy tax code really screws your economy."

10% should be the tax code, no matter what you earn, easy think of all the
    trees you'd save and lawyers and accountants you'd put out of work. 🙂
    Kelly
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 17:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What if someone wants to poor treated that way?
    What a stupid thing to say?
    Kelly
    Some people are really incapable of getting a joke- you're one of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree