1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 15:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why should I care equally about all animals? I certainly don't care much about the suffering of insects, for example.
    If you don't care about the suffering of all animals, why should you care about the suffering of ANY animals?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 15:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    If you don't care about the suffering of all animals, why should you care about the suffering of ANY animals?
    That's KN point, that I don't understand. Why is it hypocritical to choose which animals I care most about?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 15:592 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    I guess there's a line where an animal is capable of "suffering". I don't think that a fruit fly "suffers". It's very likely that a cow does "suffer". But I don't think there's any way to prove any of this. No human can really know what it's like to be a cow or a fruit fly. Everyone has to draw his own line.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:25
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    There's a pub near me that has rabbit and bacon pie on the menu.

There was also a pub somewhere in England that started putting squirrel on the menu until enough people complained and it was eventually taken off.

[b]Nobody eats this traditional dish any more

I wouldn't say nobody.[/b]
    http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=squirrel

4 recipes found while searching for squirrel in the entire archives.

1. Squirrel Pot Pie
    2. Succulent Squirrel
    3. Squirrel in Cream
    4. Squirrel Road Kill Brunswick Stew
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Nobody eats this traditional dish any more. Why not, is it a dish once enjoyed by a social underclass that does not exist any more, or is it just cruel to even consider baking a little bunny?

poachers got 'em all! rabbits extinct in england! global warming!
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes

As for deer. PLEASE - I'm begging all the chefs!! Someone in the US come up with a recipe that will make deer meat ultra-popular. Even better if you can make it work at a fast food outlet. The deer population around here is getting WAY out of control.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) of mule deer, whitetailed deer, elk (wapiti), and moose. TSEs are caused by unusual infectious agents known as prions. To date, CWD has been found mainly in cervids (members of the deer family). First recognized as a clinical "wasting" syndrome in 1967 in mule deer in a wildlife research facility in northern Colorado, USA, it was identified as a TSE in 1978 and has spread to a dozen states and two Canadian provinces.[1] CWD is typified by chronic weight loss leading to death. There is no known relationship between CWD and any other TSE of animals or people. Although there have been reports in the popular press of humans being affected by CWD, a study by the CDC failed to find any relationship.[2]
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In Thailand, fried insects are a popular snack. But I'm not sure why western societies choose the "main three".
    post-modern farm-to-supermarket economy.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:32
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) of mule deer, whitetailed deer, elk (wapiti), and moose. TSEs are caused by unusual infectious agents known as prions. To date, CWD has been found mainly in cervids (members of the deer family). First recognized as a clin ...[text shortened]... press of humans being affected by CWD, a study by the CDC failed to find any relationship.[2]
    so are you opposed to eating deer meat, or meat in general?

the condition you describe is very similar to what causes "mad cow disease" - yet people's appetite for beef is as strong as ever.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:34
    http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=squirrel

4 recipes found while searching for squirrel in the entire archives.

1. Squirrel Pot Pie
    2. Succulent Squirrel
    3. Squirrel in Cream
    4. Squirrel Road Kill Brunswick Stew
    After deer, squirrels are the next thing that we're being overrun with. Are any of these recipes likely to catch on with the public?

Or is there some sort of prion that causes "mad squirrel disease" that we should be worrying about instead?
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:37
    we're in a recession ... just put it in people's heads .... send the recipe for Squirrel Recession Pie to the local Letters to the Editor column, your squirrel pop will go down in no time ...

many years ago i recall a couple of Vietnamese guys being cited for trapping doves in the park ...
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:58
    we're in a recession ... just put it in people's heads .... send the recipe for Squirrel Recession Pie to the local Letters to the Editor column, your squirrel pop will go down in no time ...

many years ago i recall a couple of Vietnamese guys being cited for trapping doves in the park ...
    many years ago i recall a couple of Vietnamese guys being cited for trapping doves in the park

after deer and squirrels, the next thing on the list are the pigeons. Those Vietnamese guys should've been given a full time job eradicating them. Then we can move on to starlings...
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 17:00
    [b]many years ago i recall a couple of Vietnamese guys being cited for trapping doves in the park

after deer and squirrels, the next thing on the list are the pigeons. Those Vietnamese guys should've been given a full time job eradicating them. Then we can move on to starlings...[/b]
    http://www.google.com/search?gbv=2&hl=en&q=starling+pie&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 20:21
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why should I care equally about all animals? I certainly don't care much about the suffering of insects, for example.
    I don't think insects suffer very much. Their nervous systems are pretty simple.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 20:22
    I guess there's a line where an animal is capable of "suffering". I don't think that a fruit fly "suffers". It's very likely that a cow does "suffer". But I don't think there's any way to prove any of this. No human can really know what it's like to be a cow or a fruit fly. Everyone has to draw his own line.
    Philosophically, nobody can truly prove anything except that they themselves exist and that they experience sensory perceptions.

However, we can use reason here. Examine the organism's biology and behavior and look for similarities to human biology and behavior.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 20:24
    I think the difference is that fish are not raised domestically in the same way. They are more often caught wild, so you cannot choose the most efficient source of fish flesh and raise mass numbers of them...or at least it's not done as often as with land animals. Right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree