1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 20:511 edit
    I'm looking for an algorithm that anyone can use to provide a very basic estimate of the value of a privately held company. It can be based on earnings, assets, age, IP, inventory, whatever.

I realize there's nothing that's going to be precise. But does anyone (perhaps with a business background) know of any specific algorithm that is accepted as a legitimate way to roughly ballpark the value of a business?
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm looking for an algorithm that anyone can use to provide a very basic estimate of the value of a privately held company. It can be based on earnings, assets, age, IP, inventory, whatever.

I realize there's nothing that's going to be precise. But does anyone (perhaps with a business background) know of any specific algorithm that is accepted as a legitimate way to roughly ballpark the value of a business?
    For any capital sum you should know the annual return on investment you want.

If you can estimate the annual net income generated by a business, then you can calculate the capital sum that would deliver that same income as a ROI.

Alternatively,some people focus on how many years it takes to earn back their investment. A reasonable number of years might be a function of the type of business. It may be that you are not confident beyond a given horizon.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 22:18

Here's a "simple" model presented:

https://www.grantthornton.com/staticfiles/GTCom/files/GT%20Thinking/Business%20Reporting%20Resource%20Center/the_gartner_business_value_m_139413.pdf
  4. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 22:212 edits

Well, you can use the P/E model. Its mostly used as a sanity check and shouldn't stand alone, but its a basic model for evaluating the value of a company.
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 23:35
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Well, you can use the P/E model. Its mostly used as a sanity check and shouldn't stand alone, but its a basic model for evaluating the value of a company.
    Privately held company.
    Nevermind.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 03:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Here's a "simple" model presented:

https://www.grantthornton.com/staticfiles/GTCom/files/GT%20Thinking/Business%20Reporting%20Resource%20Center/the_gartner_business_value_m_139413.pdf
    Thanks, no1.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 13:48

In my opinion no. Algorithms are handy tools for many fields, but the best way of determining the value of any business is the old school methods of either assets minus liabilities, or in the case of publicly traded companies the total value of all the company stock minus liabilities.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 17:082 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    In my opinion no. Algorithms are handy tools for many fields, but the best way of determining the value of any business is the old school methods of either assets minus liabilities, or in the case of publicly traded companies the total value of all the company stock minus liabilities.
    Aside from the fact that what you described is an algorithm (a simple one, but still an algorithm), your opinion does not really answer the question.

First, "assets" like goodwill and potential of intellectual property held by the business may be impossible to measure and value. So, calling those things "assets" just kicks the can until you define "assets."

Second, in the case of public companies, liabilities is presumably factored into the stock price. Total market capitalization is certainly a valid way to price publicly traded companies. But privately held businesses do not have readily available stock price.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Dec '14 17:33
    Aside from the fact that what you described is an algorithm (a simple one, but still an algorithm), your opinion does not really answer the question.

First, "assets" like goodwill and potential of intellectual property held by the business may be impossible to measure and value. So, calling those things "assets" just kicks the can until you define "assets." ...[text shortened]... licly traded companies. But privately held businesses do not have readily available stock price.
    Well, I guess you've answered your own question then...
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 15:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    Well, I guess you've answered your own question then...
    Not exactly.

What I eventually settled on was the present value of the company's average annual earnings over the past three years over the next 10 years assuming the company's projected growth rate plus the fair market value of the company's inventory.

Not perfect, but as a general proxy, it will do.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 19:151 edit
    double post

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree