1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 13:401 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/despite-apos-overwhelming-apos-evidence-164314550.html

This story caught my eye, another man accused by multiple women of rape. The man in question is a Scientologist and has had the church do a lot of his dirty work for him legally.

This also reminds me of the revolving pedo door in the Catholic church as priests hide behind the legal connections of the church.

I also believe that Harvey Weinstein hid behind the political powers that be. I would even go so far as to say that if Hillary had won, none of the allegations against him would have come out, but since she lost, someone must pay. After all, he spent a large amount of money giving to the Clinton cause and was very pro Hillary. No one crossed him for decades, actors such as Russell Crowe and Matt Damon would even go on Crusades for him attacking those in the press in the past who thought about breaking a story on him. But now, the thrill is gone, Dims are mad, and they want someone to suffer as they plot a new political course devoid of the loser Hillary.

I think the issue here is the legal system in the US which is dependent upon wealth. You have the money, you can do as you pretty much please. And if you don't have the money, just hide behind those who do.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 20:07
    http://www.npr.org/2014/05/23/315129859/sex-abuse-allegations-getting-protestant-churches-to-come-clean
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 20:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 08:38
    Power corrupts, everyone knows it.
    In the 80's, when I was studying "agogiek" which is roughly pedagogy but aimed at adults in group situations, it was already widely known that handicapped people in institutions were more likely than average to be abused. It was widely known that to prevent this, the institutions had to incorporate job-rotation.
    By rotating the employees, the levels of abuse would decrease significantly. One part of systematic abuse is that nobody speaks out, basically because they get to know the offenders well, etc. And then by intimidation or mitigating circumstances the chances of people speaking out declines. So, by rotating between teams and institutions, people don't get too cosy with each other.

What you see in business (and Hollywood is a business) is that the people who call the shots have a form of supreme power. And nobody questions it. You want the job, you do as your told. However, there's always an executive. There's always people in the close circle of the abuser. They know. They don't speak up.
    If this circle was constantly rotated, you'd protect a lot more people.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 12:40
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    In the 80's, when I was studying "agogiek" which is roughly pedagogy but aimed at adults in group situations, it was already widely known that handicapped people in institutions were more likely than average to be abused. It was widely known that to prevent this, the institutions had to incorporate job-rotation.
    By r ...[text shortened]... . They don't speak up.
    So basically what this is, is nobody having any morals or backbone.

I guess that sounds about right, nobody wants to stop the gravy train because people are pussies who don't want to go to the trouble of standing up for themselves or their morality, if they have any. And since no one even wants to stand up for themselves, they sure as hell aren't going to stand up for anybody else.

Maybe what people need is an example to follow. Maybe we need another Howard Beale, another "mad prophet of the airwaves".

But we know what happened to Beale. Sacrificed on the altar of ratings. The public is fickle. This month, it's sexual harassment. What's it gonna be next month? Remember, it doesn't even have to be all that shocking, just "sensational".

Jaded is the new black. 😞
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 14:03
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    By r ...[text shortened]... . They don't speak up.
    Does this concept get applied to leftist political leaders?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 14:14
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    So basically what this is, is nobody having any morals or backbone.

I guess that sounds about right, nobody wants to stop the gravy train because people are pussies who don't want to go to the trouble of standing up for themselves or their morality, if they have any. And since no one even wants to stand up for themselves, they sure as hell aren't going ...[text shortened]... it doesn't even have to be all that shocking, just "sensational".

Jaded is the new black. 😞
    Is it sad that we have to invoke a fictional movie character from 40 years ago to exemplify speaking truth to power?

It seems to me that in the real world, the weak have to gain a toehold on power to encourage their speaking out. Someone has to be the one whose just-can't-take-it-any-more-ness is met by sufficient support from people having power, to get public and legal traction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree