1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 14:291 edit
    Most people believe the size of "government" is too large, and government spending must be reduced. unless of course it affects them. i.e.

1. Oil company exec's want to reign in runaway government spending unless it adversely affects their big fat government subsidy payments.

2. Construction workers want government spending cut, except when it may cost them their jobs due to highway or other infastructure funds being cut.

3. Military contractors want government spending cut, except when it affects their lucrative defense contracts.

4. Farmers want government spending cut except when it affects their farm subsidies.

5. Law enforcement officials want government spending cut, except when a cutoff in federal money might cost them their jobs.

6. Veterans want government spending cut, except when it may reduce their benefits.

And the list goes on and on. Everyone wants government spending cut, as long as it does not adversely affect them. Is it possible we have seen the enemy...and it is us??😲
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 14:31
    Originally posted by bill718
    Most people believe the size of "government" is too large, and government spending must be reduced. unless of course it affects them. i.e.

1. Oil company exec's want to reign in runaway government spending unless it adversely affects their big fat government subsidy payments.

2. Construction workers want government spending cut, except when it may cost ...[text shortened]... ut, as long as it does not affect them. Is it possible we have seen the enemy...and it is us??😲
    I agree. The government should not be giving certain people special breaks. Everyone should be under the same rules.

Glad to see you agree with me. Repeal Obamacare America!
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 14:32

2. Construction workers want government spending cut, except when it may cost ...[text shortened]... ut, as long as it does not affect them. Is it possible we have seen the enemy...and it is us??😲
    Do you want government spending cut?
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 15:22

2. Construction workers want government spending cut, except when it may cost ...[text shortened]... g as it does not adversely affect them. Is it possible we have seen the enemy...and it is us??😲
    Had the government stayed small to begin with we wouldn't have people wanting to reduce spending except for our own interests. Stop social programs and have family look out for one another. Get government out of funding private companies. Stop bailouts. I would be willing to give up social security if that meant we have a fundamental change in society and a much much more limited federal government. How about you?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 15:35
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Had the government stayed small to begin with we wouldn't have people wanting to reduce spending except for our own interests. Stop social programs and have family look out for one another. Get government out of funding private companies. Stop bailouts. I would be willing to give up social security if that meant we have a fundamental change in society and a much much more limited federal government. How about you?
    One great way of reducing the size of the government is to get it out of the business of social engineering.

In the case of the United States, that would be easy to do if we'd simply follow the rules set out by the Constitution.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 17:30
    Originally posted by Eladar
    One great way of reducing the size of the government is to get it out of the business of social engineering.

In the case of the United States, that would be easy to do if we'd simply follow the rules set out by the Constitution.
    Getting government out of social engineering would be social engineering that would require taking over the government. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 17:35
    Originally posted by JS357
    Getting government out of social engineering would be social engineering that would require taking over the government. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    Letting people live in a free society and make their own decisions is in no way social engineering.

In other words, you are wrong. But why should I be surprised that you can't see the truth, you are a liberal.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 17:55
    We need to reduce government. It's what the Founding Fathers would've wanted.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 18:203 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Letting people live in a free society and make their own decisions is in no way social engineering.

In other words, you are wrong. But why should I be surprised that you can't see the truth, you are a liberal.
    You aren't thinking realistically about this. Imagine yourself having the power to establish the kind of society you think we should have. Where would you start? Whatever your answer is, that would be step one in a program of social engineering. I think we are already so far away from your ideal world that we can't get there at all, but the only way it would even be possible would take tons of social engineering.

PS They are tearing down our old bay bridge. Engineers are planning how to do it.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 18:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    We need to reduce government. It's what the Founding Fathers would've wanted.
    LOL. Having fun? 🙂
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 02:461 edit

2. Construction workers want government spending cut, except when it may cost ...[text shortened]... g as it does not adversely affect them. Is it possible we have seen the enemy...and it is us??😲
    It is like the credit crisis.

Before the credit crisis, mortgage companies were putting people in homes they could not afford to boost sales, so both consumers and those in the mortgage industry were happy. Then those in government were bragging to the American people about all time high home ownership statistics so the politicians were happy, especially since the poor were helped to have homes they could not afford. Those in Wall Street were happy because they were repackaging these bad mortgages into incomprehensible investments that not even Warren Buffett could figure them out, thus boosting sales.

It seemed everyone was happy....till the bubble burst. And so it goes with the federal Leviathan known as the US federal government.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 02:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    You aren't thinking realistically about this. Imagine yourself having the power to establish the kind of society you think we should have. Where would you start? Whatever your answer is, that would be step one in a program of social engineering. I think we are already so far away from your ideal world that we can't get there at all, but the only way it would e ...[text shortened]... ngineering.

PS They are tearing down our old bay bridge. Engineers are planning how to do it.
    Progressives have been doing this for generations.

During FDR's reign of terror people had to be convinced to embrace social security because they simply felt that they did not need it. However, today the public thinks that their very existence depends on such programs.

Over a century of continuous social engineering with the aid of public education and state run media, the US public has been transformed. Kids now have been indoctrinated enough to control them and not afforded basic critical thinking ability to tell the difference.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 06:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    Progressives have been doing this for generations.

During FDR's reign of terror people had to be convinced to embrace social security because they simply felt that they did not need it. However, today the public thinks that their very existence depends on such programs.

Over a century of continuous social engineering with the aid of public education an ...[text shortened]... enough to control them and not afforded basic critical thinking ability to tell the difference.
    My point is that any major change in the social system from its current state will require social engineering, even if the mechanism of change is demolition and a free for all.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 13:201 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    LOL. Having fun? 🙂
    Why is it funny if I say it, but taken seriously if others say it? 😛
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 15:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Why is it funny if I say it, but taken seriously if others say it? 😛
    Because you are a laughing stock.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree