1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Sep '16 06:22
    11 September 1973, to be exact.
    The 1973 Chilean coup that left Allende dead and Pinochet in power.
    Supported by the US.
    Backed by the CIA.

Thousands of dead or disappeared.
    A "systematic suppression of political parties and the persecution of dissidents to an extent that was unprecedented in the history of Chile."

Pinochet also implemented radical neoliberal policies (check out the Chicago boys if you want a dystopian nightmare).

And as if supporting the coup wasn't horrifying enough (meddling in an other country's politics... pfffff... I'm sure the yanks would love others doing that to them) the US provided Pinochet's junta with "substantial economic support between 1973 and 1979".

Now, Britain, France and West Germany... the moral knights of legend... continued selling weapons to Pinochet. Even though everyone knew he was a violent dictator. Why? Because the US imposed a weapons embargo on Chile (even though they continued to support Pinochet via the CIA) and Europe, well, couldn't help make a bit of money now, could they?

Oh well.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Sep '16 10:401 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Supported by the US.
    Backed by the CIA.

A "systematic suppression of political parties and the persecution of dissidents to an extent that was unprecedented in the history of Chile."

Pinochet also implemented ra ...[text shortened]... et via the CIA) and Europe, well, couldn't help make a bit of money now, could they?

Oh well.
    Good ol' US loves that date.
    Bush was head of CIA while we overthrew Chile's democratically elected president (read: killed) to install Pinochet who's reign of terror was unabated and ultimately unprosecuted.
    After 500 days of house arrest in the UK nearly two decades later, Bush again--- this time as president himself of the US--- back-door'ed Pinochet's release on "surreal" grounds.
    All part of the New World Order he'd been threatening for quite some time.
    A year and a half later, he gets his son in on the action on 9/11 once again.
    Maybe we should call it Boxcutter Rebellion...
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 01:19
    Supported by the US.
    Backed by the CIA.

Pinochet also implemented ra ...[text shortened]... et via the CIA) and Europe, well, couldn't help make a bit of money now, could they?

Oh well.
    What happen to the thread about celebrating life Shav?

What a downer you have become. 😞
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 08:34
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Good ol' US loves that date.
    Bush was head of CIA while we overthrew Chile's democratically elected president (read: killed) to install Pinochet who's reign of terror was unabated and ultimately unprosecuted.
    After 500 days of house arrest in the UK nearly two decades later, Bush again--- this time as president himself of the US--- back-door'ed Pinochet' ...[text shortened]... ets his son in on the action on 9/11 once again.
    Maybe we should call it Boxcutter Rebellion...
    Actually William Colby was head of the CIA when Allende was overthrown.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Colby
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 14:122 edits
    What I don't fully understand about this is why exactly the U.S was involved. I know Allende was a Marxist, and given Marxism's association with communism, I understand why the U.S. wouldn't want to back Allende (especially since it was the at the height of the Cold War).

But what exactly were the reasons given by the U.S. for this support of Pinochet? Anyone know?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 14:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    What I don't fully understand about this is why exactly the U.S was involved. I know Allende was a Marxist, and given Marxism's association with communism, I understand why the U.S. wouldn't want to back Allende (especially since it was the at the height of the Cold War).

But what exactly were the reasons given by the U.S. for this support of Pinochet? Anyone know?
    You've answered your own questions; Allende was a Marxist, it was during the Cold War and the US government preferred military dictators to elected leftists. This was hardly a new policy; Mossadegh in Iran and Arbenz in Guatemala were 1950s examples of US backed military coups for the same reasons.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 19:13
    Supported by the US.
    Backed by the CIA.

Oh well.
    Only one question, if you had a son would he look like Pinochet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree