1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:06
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/gop-war-on-science-gets-worse

Yessir, republicans have our best interest at heart.

NOT.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '16 14:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/gop-war-on-science-gets-worse

Yessir, republicans have our best interest at heart.

NOT.
    Most of the "scientists" are not really. They are ideologues, who already believe a myth, and want government to enforce their views.

As long as there are credible differing views, government ought not be taking sides with the view that promotes more government and more taxation. You do see the conflict of interest, don't you?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    10 May '16 15:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Most of the "scientists" are not really. They are ideologues, who already believe a myth, and want government to enforce their views.

As long as there are credible differing views, government ought not be taking sides with the view that promotes more government and more taxation. You do see the conflict of interest, don't you?
    Who do you imagine will be able to discern what views are "credible," if not the experts in the field (i.e. scientists)?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '16 15:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who do you imagine will be able to discern what views are "credible," if not the experts in the field (i.e. scientists)?
    When "scientist" hide behind the title, they become not scientists, but elitists. Ordinary people can understand science it it is properly presented.

If you throw dung at me and say its good for me, that I'm too stupid to see the truth, then you are the stupid one. In science, truth is never decided by consensus, or majority vote. In the past scientific consensus was almost always wrong and overturned by some kook minority.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    10 May '16 15:41
    When "scientist" hide behind the title, they become not scientists, but elitists. Ordinary people can understand science it it is properly presented.

If you throw dung at me and say its good for me, that I'm too stupid to see the truth, then you are the stupid one. In science, truth is never decided by consensus, or majority vote. In the past scientific consensus was almost always wrong and overturned by some kook minority.
    When "scientist" hide behind the title, they become not scientists, but elitists.

Which scientists have "hidden behind their title" and have thus become "elitists"?

Ordinary people can understand science it it is properly presented.

Some (incomplete) level of understanding, sure. But what's your point?

Can you give some recent examples of the scientific consensus being "wrong" and "overturned by some kook minority"?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 May '16 15:591 edit

As long as there are credible differing views, government ought not be taking sides with the view that promotes more government and more taxation.
    "They are ideologues, who already believe a myth, and want government to enforce their views"
    yes, those damn evil tyrannical scientists, bent on world domination.

"You do see the conflict of interest, don't you?"
    do you? oil industry gives bribes to your elected representatives and pay up a couple of "scientists" to downplay the harm they are causing. your elected representatives pass laws favoring oil and coal industry. no conflict of interest there, huh?

meanwhile, large clean energy industry lobbyist are paying millions of dollars to US congressmen... pfff, wait no they don't, there are no such millionaires.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '16 16:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "They are ideologues, who already believe a myth, and want government to enforce their views"
    yes, those damn evil tyrannical scientists, bent on world domination.
    Scientists, just like other professions, disagree.

There are many scientists who don't buy into the consensus. If you took the time to actually read some of the conflicting evidence, you might not either.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '16 16:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]When "scientist" hide behind the title, they become not scientists, but elitists.

Which scientists have "hidden behind their title" and have thus become "elitists"?

Ordinary people can understand science it it is properly presented.

Some (incomplete) level of understanding, sure. But what's your point?

If you throw dung at ...[text shortened]... ecent examples of the scientific consensus being "wrong" and "overturned by some kook minority"?
    Yes, I could, but it would be a waste of time.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    10 May '16 19:14
    If you are not prepared or unwilling to defend your positions on this forum, I recommend you don't posit them.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '16 21:10
    So you are ok with fluking repubs killing science and therefore letting the US become second or third class scientifically in the world and China, Brazil, India and the like become world leaders in science.

Just another sign of the decline in the US. I hope you choke on your derision and paranoia.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '16 23:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you are ok with fluking repubs killing science and therefore letting the US become second or third class scientifically in the world and China, Brazil, India and the like become world leaders in science.

Just another sign of the decline in the US. I hope you choke on your derision and paranoia.
    Democrats are no more scientifically inclined than are Republicans, in fact less so, because they tend to use bogus science to support their pet projects which usually involve more taxation and government spending. Some "scientists" enjoy working for the government, always having a teat to suck on. True scientists work without government support, and in many cases buck the trends. Man caused global warming is the biggest science/government scam in a while, although there have been others.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '16 23:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Germany
    Moves
    11 May '16 06:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It's no secret that the well-educated favour Democrats - which also to me seems like the obvious least worst of two poor choices - but I suppose that in normbenign's world, only non-scientists can be true scientists.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 May '16 08:08
    Scientists, just like other professions, disagree.

There are many scientists who don't buy into the consensus. , you might not either.
    "Scientists, just like other professions, disagree. "
    not on this. the overwhelming majority of scientists agree on the main issue. but yes, you are right, they do disagree on who will be screwd by our actions, our children or our grandchildren.

"There are many scientists who don't buy into the consensus. "
    no. they are few. and bought.

"If you took the time to actually read some of the conflicting evidence"
    i did. it reeks of oil industry ordered science. there isn't one scientist out there who disagrees on the science who can't be linked in some way with someone interested in profiting from oil or coal or whatever.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree