1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 17:55
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I have taught in NYC public schools and tremendous number of resources are spent getting kids out of the hallway. There are kids who cut classes and just bang on doors outside classrooms, they enter rooms they do not belong in, they somtimes encourage kids in the classroom to leave the room without permission. This causes enough of a disruption that th ...[text shortened]... guards. If ID badges could help save some of the hundreds of thousands of dollars I'm for it.
    I'm shocked.

The liberals who voted to abandon discipline in favor of counseling sessions assured us that all children are sensitive, caring creatures at heart who only respond positively to affection; whereas asking them to do something they didn't want to do like "sit down and shut up" would damage their psyches especially if they actually had to do it.

Very well. Monitor where the little darlings are -- but don't damage their delicate psyches when they scare a helpless freshman out of his mind into trading badges with them.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 18:14
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    I'm shocked.

The liberals who voted to abandon discipline in favor of counseling sessions assured us that all children are sensitive, caring creatures at heart who only respond positively to affection; whereas asking them to do something they didn't want to do like "sit down and shut up" would damage their psyches especially if they actually had to d ...[text shortened]... psyches when they scare a helpless freshman out of his mind into trading badges with them.
    I'm not sure why you take a shot at liberals (normally justified) but then take a liberal position on privacy when ID tags which could help with record keeping, could cheaply and effectively help prevent school disruptions and even help solve crimes.
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 19:36
    I'm not sure why you take a shot at liberals (normally justified) but then take a liberal position on privacy when ID tags which could help with record keeping, could cheaply and effectively help prevent school disruptions and even help solve crimes.
    Is privacy a liberal position? I don't want the government monitoring MY whereabouts.

Kids should be learning personal responsibility -- they will need it. If they learn it, they will be better citizens, in my view. Greater personal responsibility is a hallmark conservative plank -- not that I adopt a viewpoint just because somebody slapped the label "conservative" on it.

I try to judge each point on the merits. A lot of the time, I find I agree with conservatives, but not all the time.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 20:09
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Is privacy a liberal position? I don't want the government monitoring MY whereabouts.

Kids should be learning personal responsibility -- they will need it. If they learn it, they will be better citizens, in my view. Greater personal responsibility is a hallmark conservative plank -- not that I adopt a viewpoint just because somebody slapped the labe ...[text shortened]... nt on the merits. A lot of the time, I find I agree with conservatives, but not all the time.
    I don't see how identifying and locating students who are breaking rules and facilitating the punishing process of those people interferes with personal responsibility. It merely allows school to make sure students meet their end of the bargain by being where they belong and not where they interfere with the education of others.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 15:35
    I don't see how identifying and locating students who are breaking rules and facilitating the punishing process of those people interferes with personal responsibility. It merely allows school to make sure students meet their end of the bargain by being where they belong and not where they interfere with the education of others.
    Doesn't it say something about the parents to be bringing up such unruly children? I would bet those disrupters live in single parent homes where mom or dad works and the kids do what they want at home as well.

It sounds like a larger problem than just the disruption these kids cause at school.

It sounds to me security guards are more in order than RFID tags.

The only thing that sounds like it would work in that regard is the buried RFID tags they have been sticking inside the bodies of newborn babies and pets where they
    can be tracked if they are kidnapped or gotten lost in a giant subway system or something.

If kids grow up all with buried ID tags they would not be able to bully a kid into swapping.

But it does sound like a much larger societal issue than just the kids acting like asssholes at school.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree