1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:201 edit
    Nominations? Shortlists?

The Charleston Daily Mail says it's Sarah Palin for energizing conservative America when it is/was on the mat and seemingly rudderless. http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/6511

Some would perhaps say it's President Barack Obama for winning the U.S. election with a famously insurgent campaign against the Washington D.C. establishment. Or, if that is too 2008 for you, how about nominating his wife Michelle Obama for being, er... the most powerful woman in America.

Frontpage Magazine awards the accolade to Glen Beck whose show now attracts a far bigger audience than his competitors on CNN, MSNBC and Headline News combined and attracts 20 times the audience of Hardball with Chris Matthews on MSNBC. http://frontpagemag.com/2009/12/31/frontpages-man-of-the-year-by-david-forsmark/

Time Magazine named Ben Bernanke: "The main reason Ben Shalom Bernanke is TIME's Person of the Year for 2009 is that he is the most important player guiding the world's most important economy. His creative leadership helped ensure that 2009 was a period of weak recovery rather than catastrophic depression..." http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/1,28804,1946375_1947251,00.html

Or could it be President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono who succeeded in becoming the first democratically elected leader to be be re-elected, peacefully and cleanly, in the world's third biggest democracy.

Could it be Rwandan human rights activist Esther Mujawayo-Keiner for all the work she did as a Rwandan human rights activist.

Who should it be, according to RHP Debates Forum?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:38
    Obama.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Obama.
    i thought he won 2008.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:51
    The U.K.'s Independent offers a few more possibilities that might give us a more outside the box winner:

The Congolese gynaecologist Denis Mukwege.

Chinese free speech campaigner and political prisoner Liu Xiaobo.

Bolivia's first indigenous president Evo Morales.

Afghani women's rights activist and (banned) legislator Malalai Joya.

U.S. broadcaster Amy Goodman.

British gay rights campaigner and glutton for physical punishment Peter Tatchell.

See here: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-amid-dark-times-meet-the-most-inspiring-people-of-2009-1852835.html
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:52
    nobody.

they all failed this year.

did anything get resolved?

copenhagen was just the cherry on the snowcone.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 07:52
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i thought he won 2008.
    Hence my little proviso in the OP.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 08:01
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    nobody.

they all failed this year.
    Who is "they"? Nobody in the world deserves a Person Of The Year nomination?
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 08:24
    Jiang Yu, for flipping off the UK, and showing the way to the New World Order for the 21st century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akmal_Shaikh

Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Jiang Yu said, "Nobody has the right to speak ill of China's judicial sovereignty. We express our strong dissatisfaction and opposition to the British Government's unreasonable criticism of the case. We urge the British to correct their mistake in order to avoid harming China-UK relations."[29]
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 08:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who is "they"? Nobody in the world deserves a Person Of The Year nomination?
    yeah.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 08:44
    Obviously it's Osama Bin Laden.

I mean the man's had superpowers, armies, merceneries and everything searching for him for almost a decade... and still, like the Scarlet Pimpernel of old, he remains invisible.

Not only that, he's doing all this on kidney dialysis. In one of the worst regions of the planet!!!

Only Blowfeld and Darth Vader get anywhere near his superior evil genius (well, maybe Lex Luther does too).

Man of the year? Man of the decade!
    And I can only assume there's a nobel peace prize in there somewhere too.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 10:211 edit
    An op-ed from The New York Times:

Tiger Woods, Person of the Year

As we say farewell to a dreadful year and decade, this much we can agree upon: The person of the year is not Ben Bernanke, no matter how insistently Time magazine tries to hype him into its pantheon. The Fed chairman was just as big a schnook as every other magical thinker in Washington and on Wall Street who believed that housing prices would go up in perpetuity to support an economy leveraged past the hilt. Unlike most of the others, it was Bernanke's job to be ahead of the curve. Yet as recently as June of last year he could be found minimizing the possibility of a substantial economic downturn. And now we're supposed to applaud him for putting his finger in the dike after disaster struck? This is defining American leadership down.

If there's been a consistent narrative to this year and every other in this decade, it's that most of us, Bernanke included, have been so easily bamboozled. The men who played us for suckers, whether at Citigroup or Fannie Mae, at the White House or Ted Haggard's megachurch, are the real movers and shakers of this century's history so far. That's why the obvious person of the year is Tiger Woods. His sham beatific image, questioned by almost no one until it collapsed, is nothing if not the farcical reductio ad absurdum of the decade's flimflams, from the cancerous (the subprime mortgage) to the inane (balloon boy).

As of Friday, the Tiger saga had appeared on 20 consecutive New York Post covers. For The Post, his calamity has become as big a story as 9/11. And the paper may well have it right. We've rarely questioned our assumption that 9/11, "the day that changed everything," was the decade's defining event. But in retrospect it may not have been. A con like Tiger's may be more typical of our time than a one-off domestic terrorist attack, however devastating.

Rest here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/opinion/20rich.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 11:19
    I nominate Chesley Sullenberger.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 11:58
    Can't say I have been really impressed with any man (or woman) this year.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 12:02
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Obviously it's Osama Bin Laden.

I mean the man's had superpowers, armies, merceneries and everything searching for him for almost a decade... and still, like the Scarlet Pimpernel of old, he remains invisible.

Not only that, he's doing all this on kidney dialysis. In one of the worst regions of the planet!!!

Only Blowfeld and Darth Vader get anyw ...[text shortened]... an of the decade!
    And I can only assume there's a nobel peace prize in there somewhere too.
    And you think he is still alive ? 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 12:10
    Originally posted by phil3000
    And you think he is still alive ? 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    You don't have to be alive to be man of the year. Much as you don't really have to be a man of peace to receive the Nobel Peace prize.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree