1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:40
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Due to quantitative easing one could argue that we have already defaulted on our debt, yet our credit rating remains unchanged.
    Why's that? Inflation?
    http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=CPIAUCSL

Oh, let me guess, the imaginary numbers in your head are the real ones for inflation.
  2. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:46
    I thought this was an informative story about what a non issue a cut to the US credit rating would be.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/138706125/what-a-credit-ratings-cut-could-mean-for-the-u-s
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why's that? Inflation?

Oh, let me guess, the imaginary numbers in your head are the real ones for inflation.
    The inflation numbers may not have gone up, but prices at the grocery store have. Prices at the gas pump are up too. That might not be inflation's fault, but nobody really cares when it comes time to vote. They're gonna blame the people in office because milk is up 50 cents a gallon.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    The inflation numbers may not have gone up, but prices at the grocery store have. Prices at the gas pump are up too. That might not be inflation's fault, but nobody really cares when it comes time to vote. They're gonna blame the people in office because milk is up 50 cents a gallon.
    So...real bond prices should be calculated in terms of eggs at the grocery store?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:52
    I thought this was an informative story about what a non issue a cut to the US credit rating would be.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/138706125/what-a-credit-ratings-cut-could-mean-for-the-u-s
    Downgrades are not that innocuous because they can serve as coordination mechanisms for selling.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:02
    Why's that? Inflation?

I didn't say anything about inflation.

Jean Chatzky on the Today show this morning said that we may get a credit downgrade even if the debt ceiling is raised.
  7. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:03
    So...real bond prices should be calculated in terms of eggs at the grocery store?
    All I'm saying is that the average voter isn't that interested in bond prices. They care about prices of things they buy on a weekly basis. Our economic system is so complicated most people are totally shut out of it.
  8. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:04

Jean Chatzky on the Today show this morning said that we may get a credit downgrade even if the debt ceiling is raised.
    That's the same thing they said in the npr story I linked. One guy said he would have downgraded the credit rating 10 years ago.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:16
    All I'm saying is that the average voter isn't that interested in bond prices. They care about prices of things they buy on a weekly basis. Our economic system is so complicated most people are totally shut out of it.
    That's another conversation, though, isn't it? This was about quantitative easing being equivalent to default.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 16:17

Well, then, can you explain why QE means the US is "already defaulting on [its] debt"?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 19:11
    Well, then, can you explain why QE means the US is "already defaulting on [its] debt"?
    Because it is like cheating. QE leads to the bonds having less returns.
    If the returns remained the same it would not be cheating.
    China has made this claim among others.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 19:581 edit
    Because it is like cheating. QE leads to the bonds having less returns.
    If the returns remained the same it would not be cheating.
    China has made this claim among others.
    How does the QE leads to the bonds having less returns if not for inflation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree