Ron Paul's debt ceiling solution

Ron Paul's debt ceiling solution

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jul 11

Originally posted by Palynka
Well, I already said that selling ALL would be a problem because of that. The Fed should obviously keep a significant amount but I don't see it needing to sell ALL of them either anytime soon. It also has tons of other assets it might use, given the balance sheet expansion although I agree they are far from perfect substitutes.

Increasing the reserve requirement is a bad alternative, IMO. It's contractionary and that's not the idea.
It wouldn't kick the can that much further down the road; the projected deficit for the next fiscal year is $1.3 trillion which almost equals the entire amount of Treasury securities the Fed currently holds.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jul 11
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
It wouldn't kick the can that much further down the road; the projected deficit for the next fiscal year is $1.3 trillion which almost equals the entire amount of Treasury securities the Fed currently holds.
I completely agree, I also said that earlier to another poster...

MB

Moves
20 Jul 11

The whole point in Ron Paul bringing this up is to show that we can avoid economic disaster long enough to reduce spending if the will is there. The August 2nd deadline is artificial unless the fed wants the economic disaster that they warn about.

Raising the debt ceiling is stupid. We can't do this forever and expect things to be fine.
All we have to do is get serious about cutting military spending, but some people insist on running the country like an empire and putting our children and grandchildren into economic slavery while occupying much of the world.

It is amazing to me how most economists don't get it. It is like they have been conditioned to go down the road toward austerity. Then again, the real agenda here is probably to raise taxes. Either way we get screwed. I guess some people just deserve what they get, but it is a shame the rest of us must get dragged down with you clueless idiots. You know who you are!

Planet Rain

Moves
20 Jul 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
The whole point in Ron Paul bringing this up is to show that we can avoid economic disaster long enough to reduce spending if the will is there. The August 2nd deadline is artificial unless the fed wants the economic disaster that they warn about.

Raising the debt ceiling is stupid. We can't do this forever and expect things to be fine.
All we have ...[text shortened]... s a shame the rest of us must get dragged down with you clueless idiots. You know who you are!
Yes, military spending needs to be way reduced. Reduce military spending by 10% per year for at least the next 5 years, until the overall military budget is decreased by nearly half. Then maybe continue to inch it down by 5% for another 5 years. This would save trillions over the course of the next decade, and would allow for overhauling infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) and keeping Medicare and Social Security solvent for the foreseeable future.

The slashing will have to be partially offset by intelligent spending elsewhere, though, because the "military-industrial complex" is quite real and is a pillar of the U.S. economy. This means increased funding of research and development, which is far more beneficial to people (and the economy) than building bombs anyway. There could be a renewed commitment to space exploration also, which always stimulates science education and creates scads of spinoff technologies with applications even in medicine.

Raising the retirement age incrementally up to 70 or 72 is also necessary to help keep Social Security solvent, though it'll have to be done in an incremental fashion and be phased in for people under 50, say. I know there's discussion about this in another thread. Anyway if we were to raise the retirement age too much too soon we'd wind up with a much greater unemployment problem among the young.

Also we could sell Alaska back to Russia.

d

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by Soothfast
Yes, military spending needs to be way reduced. Reduce military spending by 10% per year for at least the next 5 years, until the overall military budget is decreased by nearly half. Then maybe continue to inch it down by 5% for another 5 years. This would save trillions over the course of the next decade, and would allow for overhauling infrastructure ( ...[text shortened]... greater unemployment problem among the young.

Also we could sell Alaska back to Russia.
I would agree with selling Alaska if Sarah Palin went with it. Forget about serious budget cuts to the military, it's not going to happen because of all the people it would put out of work. Also, you want to raise the retirement age to pay for space exploration?

Moves
28 Jul 11

The problem is that the rating agencies will downgrade our credit rating for the long term, and we won't be able to sell bonds in the future because they won't be worth anything due to the rating. It sounds good, but it's amateur economics.

MB

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by Kunsoo
The problem is that the rating agencies will downgrade our credit rating for the long term, and we won't be able to sell bonds in the future because they won't be worth anything due to the rating. It sounds good, but it's amateur economics.
Due to quantitative easing one could argue that we have already defaulted on our debt, yet our credit rating remains unchanged. Ron Paul's solution is no worse and no less temporary.
The bonds are worth less because of the fed's quantitative easing. Same result.
Why would the credit rating change with one and not the other?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
28 Jul 11

sounds ok, but i have to go with the military reduction myself. when in doubt, cut military spending. more than enough money tied up in there and no need to further enable the warmongers.

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Due to quantitative easing one could argue that we have already defaulted on our debt, yet our credit rating remains unchanged. Ron Paul's solution is no worse and no less temporary.
The bonds are worth less because of the fed's quantitative easing. Same result.
Why would the credit rating change with one and not the other?
Because the message we would be sending is that the bonds have no value. It won't even be a question of interpretation. By definition, it's exactly what we would be saying.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Because the message we would be sending is that the bonds have no value. It won't even be a question of interpretation. By definition, it's exactly what we would be saying.
they don't have any value. but keep in mind that anybody who will be buying them will be using currency that has no value, so in the end, it makes no difference if we trade them for something of no value or if we destroy them.

Planet Rain

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by dryhump
Forget about serious budget cuts to the military, it's not going to happen because of all the people it would put out of work. Also, you want to raise the retirement age to pay for space exploration?
How could you draw so nigh the point and still miss it? I propose increased space exploration (among other things) precisely so that cuts to the military will not put people out of work. This should have been crystal clear to anyone who can fog a mirror. I assume now we can strike your asinine interrogative from the record.

Planet Rain

Moves
28 Jul 11

Planet Rain

Moves
28 Jul 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
sounds ok, but i have to go with the military reduction myself. when in doubt, cut military spending. more than enough money tied up in there and no need to further enable the warmongers.
Military spending is the Sacred Cow no one wants to seriously call into question in the seat of power of the U.S. Empire.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
28 Jul 11

Military spending is the Sacred Cow no one wants to seriously call into question in the seat of power of the U.S. Empire.
yes, a sure sign that everyone in both houses, the executive branch and judicial branch are bought and sold. the us government is completely compromised. the whole thing has to be shut down and rebooted.

d

Moves
28 Jul 11

How could you draw so nigh the point and still miss it? I propose increased space exploration (among other things) precisely so that cuts to the military will not put people out of work. This should have been crystal clear to anyone who can fog a mirror. I assume now we can strike your asinine interrogative from the record.
I didn't miss the point, I just think you are seriously underestimating the scope of the problem when it comes to reducing the military budget. Also, if you are proposing spending the money saved on something else, then you're not really saving any money. I would rather see the money spent on infrastructure or education than the military myself, but government jobs are government jobs, they come out of the same revenue pool, regardless. Over 5 million people are directly and indirectly (through contracted work) employed by the pentagon, what politician has the courage to rock that boat?