Roxana Saberi

SubscriberFMF
Debates 20 Apr '09 10:00
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 10:00
    Is the Roxana Saberi situation a case of quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur or is it a case of integer vitae scelerisque purus?

What about those who say the Saberi case illustrates that iuris ignorantia est cum ius nostrum ignoramus?

Or is this thread perhaps , on final reflection, a case of quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 12:45
    You gonna have to learn to speak English if you gonna come to this country boy
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 12:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the Roxana Saberi situation a case of quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur or is it a case of integer vitae scelerisque purus?
    BBC headline:

Iran 'to release' reporter Saberi

An Iran court has cut jailed US-Iranian reporter Roxana Saberi's sentence to two years suspended and she will be freed later on Monday, her lawyer says.

Text here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/middle_east/8043768.stm

All well and good. But if she was in fact a spy, and if her acquittal was simply brought on by "an international outcry" rather than the facts of the case, is this perhaps a miscarriage of justice?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '09 12:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    BBC headline:

[b]Iran 'to release' reporter Saberi

An Iran court has cut jailed US-Iranian reporter Roxana Saberi's sentence to two years suspended and she will be freed later on Monday, her lawyer says.

Text here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/middle_east/8043768.stm

All well and good. But if she was in fact a spy, and if her acquittal was ...[text shortened]... tional outcry" rather than the facts of the case, is this perhaps a miscarriage of justice?[/b]
    nobody cared about your "what if's" a month ago, why bump this thread again?

what if she was just a reporter caught up in the insane asylum called iran
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 12:43
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    nobody cared about your "what if's" a month ago, why bump this thread again?
    Because she's just been released. Haven't you seen the news?

And my OP had absolutely nothing in it about "what ifs"! How could you possible get the wrong end of the stick like that?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '09 13:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because she's just been released. Haven't you seen the news?

And my OP had absolutely nothing in it about "what ifs"! How could you possible get the wrong end of the stick like that?
    "All well and good. But if she was in fact a spy, and if her acquittal was simply brought on by "an international outcry" rather than the facts of the case, is this perhaps a miscarriage of justice?"

Sounds like a "what if" to me.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 13:51
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Sounds like a "what if" to me.
    Yes but you claimed there were "what ifs" in my OP a month ago. It seem you are mistaken.

Where was the "what if" in the OP, Sam?
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:28
    She's cute. A former Miss N Dakota for crying out loud. Free her.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:552 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

What about those who say the Saberi case illustrates that iuris ignorantia est cum ius nostrum ignoramus?

Or is this thread perhaps , on final reflection, a case of quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur?
    You ask whether she got out because Iran found itself in a position of put up or shut up, or because the Iranian justice system was convinced of the reporter's uprightness and lack of wickedness.

Evidence or data insufficient ... we can but speculate.

Or perhaps it is a case where ignorance of the law shows us we or she do not know our own rights?

In Iran? A woman has rights? Iran respects "rights" in the same sense we use that word? Iran has a legal system in any sense of that term we would understand? that is, something not arbitrary and capricious in the extreme?

We don't really know.

no -- the answer is that this is all just a waste of our time, for this is merely a supercilious demonstration by a non-lawyer who wants us to mistake his cut and paste use of Latin maxims for his saying something profound or even substantively valuable.

in short, he's just having a laugh.
  10. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes but you claimed there were "what ifs" in my OP a month ago. It seem you are mistaken.

Where was the "what if" in the OP, Sam?
    More likely for the Iranians, it was a case of gladiator in arena consilium capit!

As for you, FMF, antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem!

🙂
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    no -- the answer is that this is all just a waste of our time, for this is merely a supercilious demonstration by a non-lawyer who wants us to mistake his cut and paste use of Latin maxims for his saying something profound or even substantively valuable.

in short, he's just having a laugh.
    Indeed I was just having a laugh. And quite obviously so. Shame you had to turn it into yet another opportunity to dish out your trademark, humourless, personal abuse.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 00:473 edits
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    As for you, FMF, antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem!
    LOL. My point exactly!

After all, as I said in the OP, quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur!

Which roughly translates as "Using Latin maxims to seem like one is saying something profound or even substantively valuable."

A stint on the windswept crags may not be necessary if there is an international outcry over the mishandling of my case by this thread's Humour Police!

😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree