2. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 12:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/8453223.stm

Smart move by Palin. Smart move by Fox.

Thoughts?
    When I saw the headline 'Palin takes Fox news job' on the independent's website I thought it was Michael. Turns out it's some other comedian.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 12:28
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Turns out it's some other comedian.
    Lulz

Rec'd
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Thoughts?
    if Palin is just focusing on making money - very smart move.

But if Palin really wants to become president - bad move. Right now her "brand" has become "wacky dingbat that everyone is laughing at". Nobody is going to feel comfortable with that person being commander-in-chief.

I suspect that Palin is much smarter than her "brand" makes it seem. Forget 2012, there's not enough time. She needs to drop out of the spotlight for a couple years, during which she can spend lots of time becoming an expert in wide-ranging areas of domestic and foreign policy. And she needs to spend time with people doing policy research so she can have a whole agenda of new fresh ideas about the problems the US is facing.

She can then re-emerge sometime around 2013 or so, and present a totally new image as a "smart woman who really IS a maverick, and who really IS going rogue with ideas that really ARE fresh and new". I know she has it in her. Anyone who gives her kids names like Track and Trig is capable of doing this.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 13:49
    Originally posted by Melanerpes

But if Palin really wants to become president - bad move. Right now her "brand" has become "wacky dingbat that everyone is laughing at". Nobody is going to feel comfortable with that person being commander-in-chief.

I suspect that Palin is much smarter than her "brand" makes it seem. Forg ...[text shortened]... t in her. Anyone who gives her kids names like Track and Trig is capable of doing this.
    Palin knows she is unelectable. She's just cashing in on her fifteen minutes of fame.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 14:40

I suspect that Palin is much smarter than her "brand" makes it seem. Forg ...[text shortened]... t in her. Anyone who gives her kids names like Track and Trig is capable of doing this.
    This is a bit of a over statement. Her brand as you say,is actually "Reagan conservative" She sold over a million books in the second week of sales.No one else in the GOP could come close to this imo.I would not say everyone is laughing at her.

"Right now her "brand" has become "wacky dingbat that everyone is laughing at"
    -melenerpes
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 15:25
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This is a bit of a over statement. Her brand as you say,is actually "Reagan conservative" She sold over a million books in the second week of sales.No one else in the GOP could come close to this imo.I would not say everyone is laughing at her.

"Right now her "brand" has become "wacky dingbat that everyone is laughing at"
    -melenerpes
    Ronald Reagan was one of the all-time great political "brands". He looked like the heroic sheriff walking right off the set of an old Western. He was what John Wayne could only aspire to be. He was majestic. Only Reagan could say "there you go again" and pull it off so well.

I experienced the Reagan era. I experienced his brand. Sarah Palin is no Ronald Reagan.

Maybe that's the problem. She's been trying too hard to be a "Reagan conservative". Seems like EVERYONE in the party is trying to be a "Reagan conservative". But no one watches Westerns anymore. The Cold War is over. It's a new era. The Republicans are like Lola at the Copacabana still hoping there'll be another "show"

Palin needs to leave all that behind, figure out what it means to be a "Palin conservative" and then actually go rogue.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Thoughts?
    Absolutely smart move by both.

Fox wants viewers. This HAS to result in a viewers bump, at least initially. Even people who don't like her want to see her. Even people who think she's an idiot want to see her like they want to see a train wreck.

Nobody is going to turn off Fox to protest Sarah Palin. Whoever would be inclined to do so has already done so.

Smart move by Palin as well. Obviously for money and fame, but politically as well. I think that there's maybe a 1% chance that Palin becomes President of the United States. But if she does, she's not going to do so by appealing the left or even to the moderates. That ship has sailed. The only way she wins is if the tea party movement gains so much power and momentum from a disastrous Obama administration that the far right simply sweeps into power.

Mitt Romney can win the Presidency by pointing to MassCare and saying "Look; I'm in touch with independents and moderate Dems." Palin cannot. Democrats and left-leaning independents are no more likely to vote for Palin that they are to push for a Constitutional Amendment allowing GW Bush to run for a third term.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 15:44
    Ronald Reagan was one of the all-time great political "brands". He looked like the heroic sheriff walking right off the set of an old Western. He was what John Wayne could only aspire to be. He was majestic. Only Reagan could say "there you go again" and pull it off so well.

I experienced the Reagan era. I experienced his brand. Sarah Palin is no Ronal ...[text shortened]... igure out what it means to be a "Palin conservative" and then actually go rogue.
    LOL I hear ya! Where is Bonanza when you need it? Big Valley,The Rifleman?

I know Palin is no Reagan,I am not saying she is. She claims to be a Reagan conservative.

Personally, I do not think she can make even a real run at President let alone become President. She does have a big following though and does strike a chord.

I just do not agree w/your statement "everyone" is laughing at her.The left is,the main stream media is, that is for sure.They are not the majority and do not accuratley represent the heart of America.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 16:341 edit
    LOL I hear ya! Where is Bonanza when you need it? Big Valley,The Rifleman?

I know Palin is no Reagan,I am not saying she is. She claims to be a Reagan conservative.

Personally, I do not think she can make even a real run at President let alone become President. She does have a big following though and does strike a chord.

I just do not agree at is for sure.They are not the majority and do not accuratley represent the heart of America.
    the reason I say "everyone is laughing at her" is because they remember all the flubs she made during the 2008 campaign when she was clearly not ready to be VP. She was busy dealing with Alaska issues and all of a sudden she was thrust into the limelight and being asked questions about foreign policy and all she could think of saying was how she could see Russia from her house.

the other reason was because she quit as governor. No Mas!! Perhaps she had a legitimate need to de-stress or something (although vulnerability to stress wouldn't be a good trait for a president). But whatever the real reason was, it seems as if she did so because she was more interested in spending full-time being a conservative celebrity than having to do boring stuff like governing a state. So any time that anyone mentions her as a possible presidential candidate, you get all the jokes about how she'll quit before inauguration day.

Okay - I concede that her fans aren't laughing at her - but pretty much everyone else is. She needs to get out of the spotlight. She has to think long and hard about what it really means to be commander-in-chief. She's going to have to find a way to overcome the "quitter" label (is there any label harder to overcome than that?). She might have to get elected to some other office and COMPLETE her term.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 16:53
    It's just Fox News cementing its role as the only true "Fair and Balanced" news network. Now they are even showing the news from the viewpoint of the mentally challenged.
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 17:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's just Fox News cementing its role as the only true "Fair and Balanced" news network. Now they are even showing the news from the viewpoint of the mentally challenged.
    Thats funny.But I would like to see you run a state as Governor. The woman is very competant but, is not polished as a D.C. politician.And I think that is the appeal for many.
    Cut her some slack.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 17:131 edit
    Thats funny.But I would like to see you run a state as Governor. The woman is very competant but, is not polished as a D.C. politician.And I think that is the appeal for many.
    Cut her some slack.
    I would make a bad politician since I'm not a very good liar. However, in terms of policy and ideology I would naturally be a vastly better governor than Sarah Palin.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 17:14
    I would like to see you run a state as Governor.
    Moreover, I would like to see KazetNagorra complete his term as Governor and then run again.
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 17:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I would make a bad politician since I'm not a very good liar. However, in terms of policy and ideology I would naturally be a vastly better governor than Sarah Palin.
    Really? What is your ideology and what would your policy be?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree