Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 12:32
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44290312

    This is an interesting idea, to impose fines and jail time sexual harrassment. The major downside to this law is the following:

    "The bill, which preserves the anonymity of alleged victims, also criminalises incitement to sexual harassment, as well as falsely reporting an incident to the authorities."

    I understand punishing false reports, but I have a feeling this will backfire on women who fail to prove their accusations are real, and will unintentionally punish victims. But here's the bigger problem:

    "It also stipulates alleged victims cannot withdraw a complaint or fail to report an incident to the police."

    This could also end up punishing the victim for not reporting an incident. What if a woman was a victim of a Harvey Weinstein-type, a powerful man able to ruin a woman's image and career for not complying with his demands? The harassment law does say it guarantees anonymity for the accusers; but I'm sure it won't be hard for perpetrators to narrow down who brought forth charges, based on the details of the trial. I can see many scenarios where this can go wrong.

    But, I at least applaud SA's willingness to put forward laws making sexual harassment illegal. That's more than the U.S. has done. From the article:

    "The document also creates an obligation for public and private institutions to make all necessary arrangements to prevent harassment."

    Bravo.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55370
    29 May '18 12:43
    Originally posted by @vivify
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44290312

    This is an interesting idea, to impose fines and jail time sexual harrassment. The major downside to this law is the following:

    "The bill, which preserves the anonymity of alleged victims, also criminalises incitement to sexual harassment, as well as falsely reporting an incident to the authorities."

    ...[text shortened]... ic and private institutions to make all necessary arrangements to prevent harassment."

    Bravo.
    When you read the last line of the article "The kingdom has announced a ban on women's drivers will end next month, despite opposition from conservatives" everyone should be confident that the Saudi's are the model of women's rights.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 12:47
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    When you read the last line of the article "The kingdom has announced a ban on women's drivers will end next month, despite opposition from conservatives" everyone should be confident that the Saudi's are the model of women's rights.
    Applaud the steps toward progress. That encourages more of it.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81230
    29 May '18 12:581 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44290312

    This is an interesting idea, to impose fines and jail time sexual harrassment. The major downside to this law is the following:

    "The bill, which preserves the anonymity of alleged victims, also criminalises incitement to sexual harassment, as well as falsely reporting an incident to the authorities."

    ...[text shortened]... ic and private institutions to make all necessary arrangements to prevent harassment."

    Bravo.
    "But, I at least applaud SA's willingness to put forward laws making sexual harassment illegal. That's more than the U.S. has done."

    are you just stupid, or what do you get out of lying?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 13:37
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    [b]"But, I at least applaud SA's willingness to put forward laws making sexual harassment illegal. That's more than the U.S. has done."

    are you just stupid, or what do you get out of lying?[/b]
    Is sexual harassment illegal in the U.S.? Can I go to jail for making lewd comments about a woman's body? Can I even be fined for it?

    If not, STFU.
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81230
    29 May '18 14:02
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Is sexual harassment illegal in the U.S.? Can I go to jail for making lewd comments about a woman's body? Can I even be fined for it?

    If not, STFU.
    YES! it is...

    "In the United States, sexual harassment has been deemed illegal. It’s been illegal since 1964, but ever since, our country has done little in the way of taking an active role in stopping sexual harassment in the workplace. This can be seen in the lack of additional laws protecting victims of sexual harassment, and the varying laws from state to state that relate to harassment."

    https://fairygodboss.com/career-topics/sexual-harassment-laws

    You blissful idiot!
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 14:251 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    YES! it is...

    "In the United States, sexual harassment has been deemed illegal. It’s been illegal since 1964, but ever since, our country has done little in the way of taking an active role in stopping sexual harassment in the workplace. This can be seen in the lack of additional laws protecting victims of sexual harassment, and the varying laws ...[text shortened]... ssment."

    https://fairygodboss.com/career-topics/sexual-harassment-laws

    You blissful idiot!
    Your link only covers sexual harassment in the workplace. Unlike Saudi Arabia, sexual harassment is not illegal in public places.

    That was easy.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7285
    29 May '18 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Is sexual harassment illegal in the U.S.? Can I go to jail for making lewd comments about a woman's body? Can I even be fined for it?

    If not, STFU.
    A person's body, please. Or women will still be the weaker gender, needing to be pampered, while men remain the refuse that can just be tossed in jail because it's worthless. Thar serms to be what Greer and Dworkin want, but a real feminist should be better than that.
  9. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    29 May '18 16:45
    The law seems poorly constructed. The victim is punished for failing to report the incident but is also punished if unable to produce compelling evidence.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 17:40
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    A person's body, please. Or women will still be the weaker gender, needing to be pampered, while men remain the refuse that can just be tossed in jail because it's worthless. Thar serms to be what Greer and Dworkin want, but a real feminist should be better than that.
    In a society that stones women to death for adultery (while her male accomplice may get 100 lashes, but still lives another day), such protections are needed. Respect for women is openly and proudly trashed, but Saudi Arabia is making strides to change that; so while this law may seem extreme to westerners, it's an understandable and necessary step for their society.
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81230
    29 May '18 22:331 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Your link only covers sexual harassment in the workplace. Unlike Saudi Arabia, sexual harassment is not illegal in public places.

    That was easy.
    from the article I posted...

    "In the United States, sexual harassment has been deemed illegal. It’s been illegal since 1964, but ever since, our country has done little in the way of taking an active role in stopping sexual harassment in the workplace."

    read that slowly...might help
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 May '18 23:451 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    from the article I posted...

    "In the United States, sexual harassment has been deemed illegal. It’s been illegal since 1964, but ever since, our country has done little in the way of taking an active role in stopping sexual harassment in the workplace."

    [b]read that slowly...might help
    [/b]
    You took one sentence out of context of an entire article about the legality of sexual harassment in the workplace, demanding sexual favors, etc. When it says sexual harassment is illegal, it's talking about the workplace.

    Still easy.
Back to Top