1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 03:22
    How do we develop worth or self esteem and is it important?

What say you?
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 03:24
    Originally posted by whodey

What say you?
    See you analyst lately did ya?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 03:332 edits
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    See you analyst lately did ya?
    It seems to me that there are two possible sources for self esteem

1. Looking inward.
    2. Looking outward

Let's consider the first approach. I have watched a few Disney films an they all seem to give the same message. The message is, your value is hidden on the inside. All you need to do is look inward to find it.

However, consider this. Self esteem is the highest among criminals behind bars. They obviously have found all of their self worth from within. After all, society has utterly rejected them.

http://www.metro.us/news/prisoners-have-higher-self-esteem-than-community-members/tmWnam---5abzqfBTGp2ak

It seems that the higher the self esteem, the higher the narcissism.

However, if we took the later approach, that self esteem is cultivated from the outside, then Barak Obama must be God's gift to humanity with his Nobel Peace Prize and someone like me who has been critical of him, according from comments from posters on this site, I'm the dung of the earth.

That simply seems absurd as well. We all know politics suck. We all have been on the team where all the players got an award of some kind, many of whom did not deserve them. We also know that many of our bosses, if not all, have no idea who does the most and who is worth the most as incompetent in their jobs are promoted and others are not.

Because human beings are so subjective and/or ignorant, human praise and condemnation seems rather hollow to me.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 06:14

1. Looking inward.
    2. Looking outward

Let's consider the first approach. I have watched a few Disney films an they all seem to give the same message. The message is, your value is hidden on the inside. All you need to do is look inward to find it.

However, consider this. Self ...[text shortened]... ings are so subjective and/or ignorant, human praise and condemnation seems rather hollow to me.
    Barack Obama was the best President you lot have had in decades. Trump is the worst Prssident you lot have had, ever.
    Your inability to recognise and act on this juxtaposition is what makes your country weak and is tearing you apart.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 10:182 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Barack Obama was the best President you lot have had in decades. Trump is the worst Prssident you lot have had, ever.
    Your inability to recognise and act on this juxtaposition is what makes your country weak and is tearing you apart.
    More shallow praise.

Never forget, Barak Obama led to Trump, along with politicians like him. Barak Obama flat out lied to the American people time and time again. Health care is perhaps the cornerstone of his lying. Here people are putting their trust in him that their premiums will not go up, that they will be able to keep their same doctor and same health care insurance and that he will not raise taxes on the Middle Class. However, it was all a big lie and ended up becoming the largest tax on the Middle Class in US history. If it had been anyone else who cost the American people trillions of dollars and forcing them to alter their health care for the worse, they would have been in jail.

To top it all off, he wrote an Executive order that bypassed his own law. How is that even Constitutional?

His foreign policy was in shambles. You had him destroy Libya, only to hand it over to ISIS. He let prisoners go in club Gitmo who promptly went back to fighting with terrorists. He drew red lines in the sand in Syria that made the US look foolish. And he made a deal with Iran that simply gave them a huge pile of cash that accomplished nothing other than funding terrorism sponsored by Iran in the Middle East. Perhaps his only accomplishment was killing Bin Laden.

The thing you fail to see with Obama was he was strictly a partisan President. He had no ability to reach across the isle, which is why the Dims lost big in 2010 and later resulted in Trump winning. Your inability to understand this speaks volumes as to the failure of subjective thought.

Notice I said nothing positive about Trump, nor have I much on these threads.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 10:29
    ...he was strictly a partisan...
    Lmao.

Pretty comedic stuff there, Whodey.

😀
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 10:441 edit
    How do we develop worth or self esteem ...
    1. Stop lying non stop and making a fool of yourself.
    2. Not from Disney films. (unless perhaps you are a very pretty teenage girl, but even then, probably a bad idea).
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 11:37
    Surely none of you think Obama deserved the Nobel Peace prize.

At least admit that.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 11:57
    Surely none of you think Obama deserved the Nobel Peace prize.

At least admit that.
    "Obama"...

Hmmm... had to look up that name. Turns out he used to be the president of the USA. Not anymore though. Apparently a guy called Donald Trump is the current president.

Any reason why you are talking about this "used to be president" instead of this "current president"?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 12:021 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    "Obama"...

Hmmm... had to look up that name. Turns out he used to be the president of the USA. Not anymore though. Apparently a guy called Donald Trump is the current president.

Any reason why you are talking about this "used to be president" instead of this "current president"?
    Because Obama is an example of those outwardly praising him.

With Trump, I don't really have any examples.

I could even throw in a few clips of Chris Matthews on CNN have orgasmic grunts talking about how wonderful Obama was.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 12:08
    Because Obama is an example of those outwardly praising him.

With Trump, I don't really have any examples.

I could even throw in a few clips of Chris Matthews on CNN have orgasmic grunts talking about how wonderful Obama was.
    YouTube

So, that's why you keep talking about this Obama dude and that woman called "Hilldog" or something. Now it makes perfect sense.

Cause you know, for a moment I thought you did so because of partisan reasons. Silly, eh?

😵
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 12:20
    I posted this in the debate forum as well as the spirituality forum.

The reason I posted it here is, this is a political forum. I think the question needs to be asked to assess whether we have natural rights.

Is man above all others in the animal kingdom, or should we simply be treated as our fellow mammals?

And how do we treat animals? We herd them around on a whim, lock them in zoos, use them as beasts of burden, and kill and eat them.
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 12:35

What say you?
    Pills, whiskey and self help books
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 12:37
    Originally posted by mchill
    Pills, whiskey and self help books
    Pills and whiskey?

According to you, America is in good shape with regards to self esteem.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 15:59

1. Looking inward.
    2. Looking outward

However, consider this. Self ...[text shortened]... ings are so subjective and/or ignorant, human praise and condemnation seems rather hollow to me.
    I reckon narcissism is self-esteem gone mad.

Narcissism (type 2: Trump) develops between the ages of 3 to 6.
    It's generally brought about by a narcissistic mother-figure.

Where most children learn:
    - Me
    - then You
    - then Us

That last part goes wrong and everything which doesn't boost the "me" becomes a threat to be dealt with. So everything "me" becomes all important (ie a damaged ego which has to be protected at all costs).

Self-esteem is then (it my initial statement is correct) is what happens when this process doesn't break down.
    The ego isn't damaged and the "me, you and us" become a boost to the ego.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree