1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 06:03
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Climb down off your soapbox you charlatan.
    The fact that you are comfortable with sleezy misogyny - or even if it makes you snigger, as your shallow "whores" remark indicates - does not make me a charlatan. I think any move towards making RHP Debates Forum like a jocks' locker room should be resisted, politely. Nothing 'cheap' about that objective.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 06:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    The fact that you are comfortable with sleezy misogyny - or even if it makes you snigger, as your shallow "whores" remark indicates - does not make me a charlatan. I think any move towards making RHP Debates Forum like a jocks' locker room should be resisted, politely. Nothing 'cheap' about that objective.
    Yeah OK. Keep your cheap shot and pretend you've taken the high road. You go girl. Keep these forums squeaky clean. LOL. Apparently you believe only women engage in prostitution so you are offended. Whodey and I obviously regard it as an equal opportunity slur. You sexist pig. I think you owe us all an apology.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 06:20
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Whodey and I obviously regard it as an equal opportunity slur. You sexist pig. I think you owe us all an apology.
    >> Allegedly corrupt male politicians.

Cue references to theft, genocide and Nazism, or whatever.

>> Allegedly corrupt woman politician.

Cue sniggery-snide and degrading sexual insults.

You and whodey clubbing together here and exhibiting your true colours is no skin off my nose.
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 06:321 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    There has been a lot of talk of late regarding Senator Mary Landrieu's trading her vote on healthcare for $300 million. As Jay Leno said, "Glenn Beck called her a high calss prostitute, and Rush Limbaugh called her the most expensive prostitute in the history of prostitutes, and Ellot Spitzer called and asked for her number." 😀
    Every time I see a post like this I get sick to my stomach because it demonstrates how woefully ignorant so many are about the democratic process in the USA. We will most likely not recover from the lack of education that these kinds of charges illustrate. For the umpteenth time I will say it again: if a representative in a democracy can negotiate legislation that results in an advantageous outcome for their constituents that is NOT an example of corruption. Corruption (and prostitution) is when laws are passed to benefit those who can provide the representative with a monetary reward for acting in their behalf (for example an insurance company that can provide large donations for a re-election campaign.) Calling someone a name for actually fulfilling their elected function is actually a dead give-away that this argument is being made for the sole purpose of undermining democracy and subverting the will of the people. The original poster and his supporters have about as much interest in democracy as rats do in corn silo security. They don't want to end corruption - they just want to tilt the cup so all the goodies flow their way. The fact that they try to achieve this by throwing feces rather than flowers just shows what intellectual resources they have available. It is no big surprise however because I'm fairly certain that their mothers never were proud of them. Just as I am ashamed that they were never educated to value our precious democracy.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 00:314 edits
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Every time I see a post like this I get sick to my stomach because it demonstrates how woefully ignorant so many are about the democratic process in the USA. We will most likely not recover from the lack of education that these kinds of charges illustrate. For the umpteenth time I will say it again: if a representative in a democracy can negotiate legis d of them. Just as I am ashamed that they were never educated to value our precious democracy.
    Wrong. Obama promised no more earmarks and to help end this sort of corruption, even though, as you say, it is "legal" and "part of the democratic process". So go ahead and defend the status quo that Obama vowed to change, by realize you are in a very small minority of folks. Its time for a change and reform and I think we need a new party to begin the process.

The only reason people are up in arms about this NHC legislation is because it is the first time for many that they have begun to pay attention. Why, you ask? It is because it personally effects them. Their very lives depend upon it as well as the economic future for themselves as well asf their children. This issue I think will turn out to be the Waterloo for the status quo in Washington....or at least I can hope, can't I?
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 05:501 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wrong. Obama promised no more earmarks and to help end this sort of corruption, even though, as you say, it is "legal" and "part of the democratic process". So go ahead and defend the status quo that Obama vowed to change, by realize you are in a very small minority of folks. Its time for a change and reform and I think we need a new party to begin the pr ...[text shortened]... out to be the Waterloo for the status quo in Washington....or at least I can hope, can't I?
    Wrong! This is not an example of earmark (look it up) but I'm not so foolish to hope (or even expect) that you will ever know what you're talking about (or indeed have an original thought.) You've shown time and again that you are only capable of repeating what some equally ill-informed source has poured into your head. Go away and actually learn something.
  7. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 13:27
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Every time I see a post like this I get sick to my stomach......For the umpteenth time I will say it again: if a representative in a democracy can negotiate legislation that results in an advantageous outcome for their constituents that is NOT an example of corruption......

Just as I am ashamed that they were never educated to value our precious democracy.
    Do you mean negotiate in the open or behind closed doors?

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/517/health-care-reform-public-sessions-C-SPAN/

Precious democracy? Don't you mean precious Republic?
    http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/AmericanIdeal/aspects/demrep.html
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 13:44
    Originally posted by monster truck

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/517/health-care-reform-public-sessions-C-SPAN/

From a realistic perspective I think Obama has done pretty good based on Politifact

Tracking Obama’s promises

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

Promise Kept 79

Compromise 25

Promise Broken 9

Stalled 58

In the Works 226

Not Yet Rated 114

Unfortunately their tracking system has just begun and it would have been interesting to see how Bush would have done.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/blog/2009/jan/25/why-we-havent-checked-bushs-promises/
    [quote]Why we haven't checked Bush's promises

Posted by Bill Adair :: Published on Sunday, January 25th, 2009 at 08:53 a.m.

Well, judging from our record-shattering traffic, the Obameter is off to a great start. Many of you have asked if we will do a similar examination of President Bush's promises.

Unfortunately, we don't have plans to do so. Here's why:

With a very limited staff, we have to deploy our resources wisely. We know that the Obameter will have great value over the long-term because of the tremendous interest in the new presidency (and not just because of Obama; we had planned to do the same thing if McCain won).

Over the coming months, Americans will be curious how Obama is faring with his agenda. They can find out by checking our Obameter, which will provide an up-to-the-minute report card. We hope you will keep you coming back to the site to see how the report card has changed.

A Bush report card (Bush-O-Meter?) would have a great one-time value and some good historical value. I wish we could do it. But it would not have nearly as much long-term value as checking the current president.

We have to deploy our resources wisely so we can continue to do ground-breaking journalism. And we're not only producing new Obameter items every day, we're also producing Truth-O-Meter items on members of Congress and others in Washington. So for now, that means we'll be focusing on Obama and the new Congress.[/b]
  9. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:051 edit
    I agree his record looks pretty good so far!

It certainly would have been nice if this particular bill (considering it's importance) could have been negotiated in the light of day and at a slower pace. Some bipartisan support would have been helpful as well.

That is a pipe dream for sure.

Instead, I think this issue has further polarized our nation.

🙁
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:07

Do you eat hot dogs? Grow up! (You wouldn't mind it if ambrosia was being ladled onto your plate.)

We have a democratic republic - can't have one without the other - learn something besides how to cut and paste.
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:10

It certainly would have been nice if this particular bill (considering it's importance) could have been negotiated in the light of day and at a slower pace. Some bipartisan support would have been helpful as well

🙁
    OK - you and I will slowly negotiate your eventual bankruptcy and destitution - you send me $100 every day until you have nothing and I promise I'll consider whether I should take it or not in a bipartisan sort of way.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:111 edit

It certainly would have been nice if this particular bill (considering it's importance) could have been negotiated in the light of day and at a slower pace. Some bipartisan support would have been helpful as well

🙁
    In the land of fast food and soundbites I think "light of day" is an unrealistic accomplishment. For example, Sarah Palin's "Death Panels" accusation not only earned a "Pants of Fire" rating from Politifact.com - it earned the distinction of winning politifacts Lie of the Year award. 30 percent of the public believed the lie and thought death panels were part of the bill.

When you can make the most ridiculous of assertions and still fool a freaking third of the public with it... something is wrong.

Edit: Also, bipartisanship is NOT going to happen. More important than content, the Republicans do not want the Democrats to pass an important bill. ANY bill.
  13. Standard membermonster truck
    Walleye Guy
    Gone fishin'
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:17
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    In the land of fast food and soundbites I think "light of day" is an unrealistic accomplishment. For example, Sarah Palin's "Death Panels" accusation not only earned a "Pants of Fire" rating from Politifact.com - it earned the distinction of winning politifacts Lie of the Year award. 30 percent of the public believed the lie and thought death panel ...[text shortened]... n content, the Republicans do not want the Democrats to pass an important bill. ANY bill.
    Ayuh.

< Previous post edited >

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree