1. silicon valley
    Moves
    25 May '10 03:03
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100040652/we-must-live-more-sustainably-says-jeremy-seven-homes-irons/

We must live more sustainably' says Jeremy 'Seven Homes' Irons

By James Delingpole Politics Last updated: May 23rd, 2010

Irons has just announced his plans to become an eco-campaigner. He wants to be a bit like Michael Moore, he says, only not “as silly”. Sounds fun, Jezza. Tell us more.

The increasing global population would put an intolerable strain on the world’s resources, Irons said, and the gulf between developing countries and westerners living a bountiful “pie-in-the-sky” existence must be addressed.

“One always returns to the fact that there are just too many of us, the population continues to rise and it’s unsustainable,” he said in an interview with The Sunday Times. “I think we have to find ways where we’re not having to scrap our effluent junk and are a really sustainable planet.”

Natural systems of selfregulation may stop population growth, he said: “I suspect there’ll be a very big outbreak of something because the world always takes care of itself.”

The 61-year-old actor went on to speculate that either disease or war, “probably disease”, could become nature’s way of halving the population.

What is it about Greenies and their pervy yearning for the apocalypse which is going to teach us all a lesson for messing with mother Gaia?

And what is it about people with seven homes? This is the same number as are currently owned by our terrifying new environment minister Chris “Chicken Licken” Huhne. Al Gore, the Prince of Wales and Zac Goldsmith have similar numbers, I’m sure.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    25 May '10 07:561 edit
    "The world always takes care of itself." An absurd snippet from a warped mind. "The world" doesn't do anything. It doesn't want anything. The Earth has no goals, no interests. It doesn't retaliate. There is something annoyingly naive about this persistent projection of human emotions to a lump of rock orbiting an insignificant star in the Milky Way.

Here's what we should do. We should make the Earth a nice place to live for humans, and we should make it so that humans in the future can enjoy it, too. If you want to increase the sustainability of the current human lifestyle - and it is sustainable with some easy measures - increase the taxation on energy and fossil fuel use. Subsidize sustainable alternatives. Invest in nuclear power. The free market will take care of everything else.

As for people with seven homes - perhaps they have as many wives. I surely would cheat on my wife (not that I intend to ever get married) if she was Tipper Gore.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 May '10 08:31
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    What is it about Greenies and their pervy yearning for the apocalypse which is going to teach us all a lesson for messing with mother Gaia?
    Belief in an apocalypse is hardly unique to greenies. It seems to be a psychological phenomenon that is triggered by just about any excuse. I have even experienced minor forms of it myself. It is just exciting to thing that massive changes are about to take place (even though they might be to our detriment).
    In reality though most people who talk about a coming apocalypse, do not necessarily believe it, or only half believe it. For example, if Jeremy 'Seven Homes' Irons was to build a house that could be quarantined and start stocking up on food etc, then I would say he believes what he says, if not, he is just speculating and/or going for scare tactics.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 May '10 08:34
    “One always returns to the fact that there are just too many of us, the population continues to rise and it’s unsustainable,”
    This is something that I believe has not been proved. We currently do not live in a long term sustainable manner, but that does not mean that we cant without reducing the worlds population. It is obvious that current population growth cannot continue indefinitely as there must come a point when the surface of the earth just isn't big enough, but we are still a long way from reaching that point, and continued population growth is not guaranteed.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 May '10 11:21
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100040652/we-must-live-more-sustainably-says-jeremy-seven-homes-irons/

Irons has just announced his plans to become an eco-campaigner. He wants to be a bit like Michael Mo ...[text shortened]... Licken” Huhne. Al Gore, the Prince of Wales and Zac Goldsmith have similar numbers, I’m sure.
    Its simple really. These fat cats feel guilty for the lives of debauchery and excessive materialism. They then turn their attention to everyone else who lives below their level of materialism and say, "No, you can't have that", while continuing to clip along at their current pace unabated. In fact, why not buy house #8, especially if a war or plague breaks out. Wouldn't that be nice!!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 May '10 11:261 edit
    The answer is simple really. Raise energy prices and health care costs and taxes in general to the point that people can barely survive financially, if at all. Then increase unemployment levels and make it next to impossible to find work and also continue wars abroad and then use corporate welfare to steal from the average Joe. At this point life won't seem to be worth living for most.

Wait a second, we are doing all the above now!! Of course, the last step is to legalize suicide and actually promote it as a source to all your woes.

Brilliant!! I think that Obama should make me his population czar.

😀
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 May '10 11:32
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    "The world always takes care of itself." An absurd snippet from a warped mind. "The world" doesn't do anything. It doesn't want anything. The Earth has no goals, no interests. It doesn't retaliate. There is something annoyingly naive about this persistent projection of human emotions to a lump of rock orbiting an insignificant star in the Milky Way.

...[text shortened]... y would cheat on my wife (not that I intend to ever get married) if she was Tipper Gore.
    It's hilarious really. Here we are such a tiny dot in a seemingly limitless universe and we have people like this telling us that the population growth is unsustainable. Nitwit.

Of course, I happen to believe in a God who is in control of such things. I suppose there are those out there that would call this annoyingly niave as well, but hey, I'm not the one trying to do his job, am I? 😀
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 May '10 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Belief in an apocalypse is hardly unique to greenies. It seems to be a psychological phenomenon that is triggered by just about any excuse. I have even experienced minor forms of it myself. It is just exciting to thing that massive changes are about to take place (even though they might be to our detriment).
    In reality though most people who talk about a d say he believes what he says, if not, he is just speculating and/or going for scare tactics.
    I agree -- it's much more exciting to be living in a time which is either the "Dawning of the Age of Aquarius" or "The Coming of the Great Apocalypse". You'll sell a lot more books if the title is "Dow 36,000" or "Dow 3600", than if it is "Dow Stays Near 10,000 and Then Gradually Rises".
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 May '10 12:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's hilarious really. Here we are such a tiny dot in a seemingly limitless universe and we have people like this telling us that the population growth is unsustainable. Nitwit.

Of course, I happen to believe in a God who is in control of such things. I suppose there are those out there that would call this annoyingly niave as well, but hey, I'm not the one trying to do his job, am I? 😀
    And what if it is God who is telling everyone to stop recklessly worshipping at an Altar of Economic Growth?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 May '10 13:12

...[text shortened]... y would cheat on my wife (not that I intend to ever get married) if she was Tipper Gore.
    What KN said...

except for cheating on Tipper Gore...

and not getting married. 😛
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 May '10 13:24

Irons has just announced his plans to become an eco-campaigner. He wants to be a bit like Michael Mo ...[text shortened]... Licken” Huhne. Al Gore, the Prince of Wales and Zac Goldsmith have similar numbers, I’m sure.
    Right you are!! We should live in the most polluting way we can. Let's pump as much toxic waste into our air, earth, and water as possible. That will teach those "greenies" a thing or two. Because that is what made America great.🙄
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    25 May '10 16:04

As for people with seven homes - perhaps they have as many wives. I surely would cheat on my wife (not that I intend to ever get married) if she was Tipper Gore.
    he's got four kids!!! it must not be too bad, being married to Tipper.

most people i know max out at two. where does Gore get off? 😠
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    25 May '10 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I agree -- it's much more exciting to be living in a time which is either the "Dawning of the Age of Aquarius" or "The Coming of the Great Apocalypse". You'll sell a lot more books if the title is "Dow 36,000" or "Dow 3600", than if it is "Dow Stays Near 10,000 and Then Gradually Rises".
    "Gradually Sinks", and then the Sun went out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree