1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:01
    The UK Government are selling the Royal Mail.

The IPO is 7 times over subscribed. This would indicate probable long term profitability in the company.

It would also indicate it has been undervalued by the government. Therefore the taxpayer is not getting a fair price for its asset.

If it will be profitable in the long term, why is the government selling this asset?
    At the moment everyone owns this national institution and shares in its successes. But when it is sold only those rich enough to buy shares will benefit from the profits.

It strikes me that after privatisation, the public can only lose (service level and cost) and the shareholders only win (as it is largely a monopoly).

(ps I have applied for shares, not because I agree with the sale but because I'll make a few hundred quid for doing nothing.... which I feel is a bit immoral)
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:04
    Originally posted by invigorate
    The UK Government are selling the Royal Mail.

The IPO is 7 times over subscribed. This would indicate probable long term profitability in the company.

It would also indicate it has been undervalued by the government. Therefore the taxpayer is not getting a fair price for its asset.

If it will be profitable in the long term, why is the government ...[text shortened]... le but because I'll make a few hundred quid for doing nothing.... which I feel is a bit immoral)
    Well in the UK it's really the Queen's ministers in government, right? Who are you to tell the Queen what she can own in her own country?
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:05
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well in the UK it's really the Queen's ministers in government, right? Who are you to tell the Queen what she can own in her own country?
    I have to lick the Queens backside every time I send a letter - don't remind me!
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:09
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I have to lick the Queens backside every time I send a letter - don't remind me!
    Bwahahahhahaha 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree