1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 05:26
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I don't do it. I steer clear of stats because polls always have an agenda...
    "Polls" and "stats" are not one in the same, Wajoma. But if it suits you to imply this, go ahead. My views on the world are constantly reaffirmed and challenged by data. I change my mind. I hold 'doubt' and open-mindedness to be intellectual virtues.

On the other hand, you - every so often, when you are in a self-regarding mood - claim that your views are somehow vindicated or "tested" by simply stating and restating your Randian 'certainties' on this Forum. And you do this by proudly eschewing all real world evidence and data (I still recall your there is no diabetes problem because I don't accept any figures about diabetes debating gambit a few months back), or trying to insult other posters (albeit less so of late), and - more often than not - sidestepping direct, engaging questions or refusing to explain your assertions when they become internally incoherent, as they often do.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 06:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Polls" and "stats" are not one in the same, Wajoma. But if it suits you to imply this, go ahead. My views on the world are constantly reaffirmed and challenged by data. I change my mind. I hold 'doubt' and open-mindedness to be intellectual virtues.

On the other hand, you - every so often, when you are in a self-regarding mood - claim that your views are so ...[text shortened]... to explain your assertions when they become internally incoherent, as they often do.
    Yeah cheers, I think you know what was implied, 'survey' might have been a better word, (Failed English and left school at 15) that's nice that you claim to feel you might be open minded, but doubt is not a virtue, it is something to be settled.

You change your mind? great news, so do 6 billion other people.

I test my views almost everyday by looking at the real world, at the evidence, and in this case the evidence says stats, like the media, has a slant. And as a spectator here it really is quite funny to see stats presented by a stats advocate but the minute some opposing stats are presented invariably we see "correlation is not causation".

Stating a view is not testing a view. (Don't recall the diabetes thing) I don't profess to be an especially eloquent or adept representative of Rand or Objectivism, nor do I claim to be an objectivist, but one thing that cannot be claimed of objectivism is 'incoherence'. Consistency is absolutely imperative, whether you agree with the philosophy or not, it is consistent, which makes it, when presented by a more able spokesperson than my good self, extremely coherent.
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 07:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Several "right-wingers" here at RHP also apportion part of the blame the last republican President. Have you not noticed this?
    We should make note of this, can it please be recorded somewhere, such that we can refer to it in future.

Oh the inanity of it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 07:34
    ...doubt is not a virtue, it is something to be settled.

You change your mind? great news, so do 6 billion other people.
    The ability to bring doubt to bear upon one's opinions and assumptions, weigh evidence that contradicts one's convictions, and thus change one's mind is a virtue I think, and one in short supply in the public and political domain. Have you never changed your mind about anything?
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 07:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    The ability to bring doubt to bear upon one's opinions and assumptions, weigh evidence that contradicts one's convictions, and thus change one's mind is a virtue I think, and one in short supply in the public and political domain. Have you never changed your mind about anything?
    "You change your mind? great news, so do 6 billion other people."

I'm one of those 6 billion, or whatever the pop is now. But doubts are to be overcome, the only good thing about them is settling them.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 08:15
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]Comparison of Economic Conditions – Jan 2008 to Jan 2011

Category...........................Jan-08.......Jan-11..... Difference

Unemployment Rate...........4.80%...... 9.40%...... 142%............... Higher
    Foreclosure Rate (Residential)1.9%..... 3.90%...... 200%....... Higher
    Median Home Sales Price... $232,400 ...[text shortened]... $150 billiion.Lower
    Residential Const. Spending.$395 billion..$220 billion..-$175 billion.Lower[/b]
    Obama didn't become President until January 2009 and it is August 2011 now. So your choice of baselines is bizarre.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 08:36
    I'm one of those 6 billion, or whatever the pop is now. But doubts are to be overcome, the only good thing about them is settling them.
    There is no such thing as an open mind that doesn't entertain and embrace doubt. There. That's a bumper sticker for you.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 08:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    There is no such thing as an open mind that doesn't entertain and embrace doubt. There. That's a bumper sticker for you.
    You could try that on a bumper sticker, I doubt you'd sell many.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 08:45
    You could try that on a bumper sticker, I doubt you'd sell many.
    Fair enough. I'll leave the bumper sticker ideology stuff to you experts. 😉
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:53
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Reid and Obama obstructed, and made no written proposals of their own.
    For what it's worth, norm, I agreed with most of what you said in your post before this one. But I for one am tired of this line that Democrats never produced any written budget proposals of their own.

Obama announced on television more times than I can remember that he would be willing to consider cuts to entitlement programs given that Republicans were willing to consider closing tax loopholes and enacting modest tax rate increases. Obama and Boehner early on in their negotiations suggested they were in the same ballpark as one another in terms of what size of a deal they would be willing to consider, and that package appeared to be double the size (at the minimum) of the package agreed to last week.

House Republicans wasted time writing up their CCB bill knowing all the while that neither the Senate nor Obama would support that plan. They passed the Boehner version of "compromise" under the same circumstances, even as they were forced to move the provisions of the Boehner version to the right to appease TEA Party Republicans rather than to the left to appease Democrats and have a chance at passing something that would survive in the other branches of government. All the while, Obama and Reid were trying to negotiate a plan with whatever Republicans would come to the table so that when they did introduce a bill, it actually would pass.

So my question is, why does that situation grace the Republican party with the moral high ground? It's nothing more than a political posturing act and a media soundbite. Democrats could have introduced 200 futile bills to the Republicans' failed 2; instead they attempted to work out a plan that they knew would actually pass a divided system of government.
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 18:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-flashback-my-presidency-will-be-a-one-term-proposition-if-economy-doesnt-turn-in-3-years/

Staying with the theme of predictions like my last thread, Obama predicted that if things do not turn around in 3 years, he would not seek a second term.

So we have 6 months to go. If nothing changes or gets worse, should he s ...[text shortened]... In addition, what criteria can or should be used to assess if things are not "turning around"?
    No, but the congressional majority should.
  12. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 06:541 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. The U.S. economy is hugely better now than it was in September 2008. Seeing as Obama is still probably going to get re-elected, suggesting he should resign is a level of facetiousness that says more about jaundiced partisanship than authentic political analysis.
    hugely?
    In what way? unemployment is dropping like a stone, and GDP is climbing like a rocket?
    He can't resign, he has to finish his 4 year ride like a big boy... but no Library for him...

8/9/11 Daily Temperature

In the next presidential election, do you think Obama will

lose in a landslide
    59%
    lose in a close vote
    33%
    win in a close vote
    7%
    win in a landslide
    1%

Total Votes: 9349

stay tuned...
  13. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 07:04
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    For what it's worth, norm, I agreed with most of what you said in your post before this one. But I for one am tired of this line that Democrats never produced any written budget proposals of their own.

Obama announced on television more times than I can remember that he would be willing to consider cuts to entitlement programs given that Republ ...[text shortened]... mpted to work out a plan that they knew would actually pass a divided system of government.
    and he did present his budget which failed 67-0..
    The credit rating would have stayed AAA had the Tea Party been able to shut that bill down, and get a vote on some real changes.... no, senior citizens woul not have missed their monthly SS checks.. we should have pushed even harder, but there is another day coming soon....
    when will people learn that you have to earn more than you spend, and you don't start by putting a 1/2 assed Healthcare plan into law while in the middle
    of an economic down turn?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree