26 Jan '16 21:131 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 03:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Have you ever even picked up a guitar? Do you know what notes most guitars are tuned to? Do you have any idea what drop C tuning is? Any idea how a mandolin is tuned and what it is close to in tuning? I doubt you ever even held a mandolin.

Which is most likely why you had to resort to insults. You really don't give a crap about music, what you really give a crap about are liberals. Tree huggers are the devil.
    Don't go getting all sensitive sonhouse.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 11:02
    Mind you the US as the world's richest country certainly knows how to invest in its children. Answer - don't bother if they are an avoidable expense. The wealthy can pay for their own education thanks and leave the rest to rot. But what if people proetest? In a democracy this is easy - make it illegal.

According to the annual Nation's Report Card, only 4% of 13- to 14-year-olds in Detroit schools are proficient or better at maths and 7% for reading.
    These are far below average and the worst figures for any major US city.
    Detroit has become one of the highest-profile examples of US cities struggling with industrial decline, with its population falling by more than half since the 1970s.
    The number of students in the Detroit Public School system has fallen even more sharply, down by about 80% compared with the 1970s.
    As well as the collapse in the local population, pupils have been moving to publicly funded but independent "charter schools".
    And there have been other schools created by an intervention to replace those that are failing.
    Governor Snyder has announced a commission to examine ways to improve education and wants to relaunch the city's schools - saying after decades of malaise they urgently need to be turned around.
    He said: "We have a 19th Century education system in the 21st Century. It's time to ask ourselves why?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35397451
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 14:41
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You do like to drive your points home.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 22:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:211 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Hey, I wasn't saying don't criticize, Of course I care about how well they play now. There just are very few real masters on the level of Martha Argerich or Clara Schumann or Vladimir Horowitz or Van Cliburn or Kissin or de Larrocha (one of my personal favorites). There is a pretty long list of the masters but there is a much larger list of prodigies who go on to become car washers or some such, burned out too early by forceful parents or teachers.

I certainly wasn't one of those🙂 I have a medium talent at best so I am not trying to include myself in any of those giants' lives🙂

If I had been given lessons at 3 or 4 I might have made myself into a passable classical player but not starting at age 8 and going for a couple of years of lessons.....

But I have one strength, persistence. I took Pete Seeger's word, just make tiny gains each day or week, they will add up. So now I am more creative musically at 74 than I was even 20 years earlier and I am continually surprised at that. I had thought you get to be 50 and the creative juices dry up but for me they get stronger, so far anyway.

But if you see a fault in me, I am a big boy, I can take it and hopefully grow from it. I am far from any form of perfect🙂

Suppose I have some problem with reading comprehension, as you assume I do.

What can be done about it? I read a lot but not deep novels, mostly sci fi but a lot of that is pretty deep. Anyway, right now I am running low on energy, been up 14 hours at work and commute. Have to stop before I fall asleep on my work comp.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 17:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Learn obedience. 🙄

That says a lot about you.
    And is contrary to anyone who truly loves freedom.
    You really believe that children are born FREE? How ludicrous! A quick comparison between human young and cubs of most mammals, reveals that humans are nearly helpless well into their teens, while most mammal cubs are self reliant adults by age two or thereabouts.

Teaching obedience in children is security and protection for them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree