1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 20:511 edit
    People seem to dismiss my view as paranoid when I complain about the gangs. They are out of control!

MEXICO CITY - Business groups in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez said Wednesday they are calling for United Nations peacekeepers to quell the drug-related violence that has given their city one of the highest homicide rates in the world.Groups representing assembly plants, retailers and other businesses said they will submit a request to the Mexican government and the Inter American Human Rights Commission to ask the U.N. to send help.
    "This is a proposal ... for international forces to come here to help out the domestic (security) forces," said Daniel Murguia, president of the Ciudad Juarez chapter of the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism. "There is a lot of extortions and robberies of businesses. Many businesses are closing."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33876408...news-americas/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 20:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    People seem to dismiss my view as paranoid when I complain about the gangs. They are out of control!

MEXICO CITY - Business groups in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez said Wednesday they are calling for United Nations peacekeepers to quell the drug-related violence that has given their city one of the highest homicide rates in the world.Gr ...[text shortened]... ses. Many businesses are closing."

While they are at it, why not ask the UN to protect the US/Mexico border?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 20:58
    Legalize drugs, problem solved.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 22:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What type of intervention do you hope for from the UN? Will violence actually stop the violence? Obviously the security and police services are failing and need help but that is different to an external force.

Prohibition is a disaster Worldwide and it is time to stop using force to impose what are eventually moral aspirations. An end to prohibition is an essential first step, releasing vast resources from the war on drugs for socially useful programmes. Regulated methods for distribution - as with alcohol - might permit a less insane but legally tolerated market.

Let's admit at once that this will not destroy the cash rich criminal economy. Sadly, sociopaths will seek out alternatives. The Italian Mafia prospered without the drug market. What they did have was an impoverished and poorly governed state to exploit. So for example they could control the fashion industry through the control of production in small sweatshops. It is economic redistribution and social development that gives ordinary folk the motivation and morale to withdraw their support and protection from the criminals, because perversely they often see the gangs as their best hope for a tolerable life.

You will not defeat violence with violence. The whole concept of drug prohibition is flawed and everyone knows it does not work. So it's time to stop and invest instead in the lives of ordinary people - through health, education and social development.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 23:36

MEXICO CITY - Business groups in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez said Wednesday they are calling for United Nations peacekeepers to quell the drug-related violence that has given their city one of the highest homicide rates in the world.Gr ...[text shortened]... ses. Many businesses are closing."

While the UN is there, can they stay there... or anywhere but New York?
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 00:27
    Legalise drugs and privatise healthcare problem solved.

That way people who mess up their lives through the abuse of drugs are responsible for the consequences of their own bad choices.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 00:50

would any country be nuts enough to send their soldiers into juarez as peacekeepers?

would the mexican government even LET them?
  8. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 04:08

The gangs are a problem, but it doesn't take the UN. Additional steps towards legalization would help, like in Mexico allowing companies and people to legally supply medical marijuana to those establishments that are legalized in California (granted by state law only).

At this point, there are many powerful players in the drug game behind bars.

Drug murders have stopped doubling this year, which merely points to the fact that the brakes are being applied, even if some experts say the drug war could take a couple of decades to truly turn the entire situation around. That was a similar situation in Colombia.

So far there are some signs of progress, but like unemployment in the economy, results may lag some of these reforms like the justice system reforms that took place in Mexico over a year ago.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 06:13
    The profit margin on drugs has to be destroyed.
    If nobody can make a profit out of it, then nobody is gonna be pushing any.

We can't send the UN troops to Mexico. They're needed in Israel / Palestine.
  10. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 06:54
    Yes. Gangs in Mexico are out of control, but so is Mexican governmental corruption. The problem is bigger than gangs. They're just a symptom.

And NO! The UN should not go into Mexico. Or anywhere else for that matter. The best thing they can do for the world is to stay in their offices and natter amongst themselves.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 07:102 edits
    I think this is the right idea, though it might be more complex in application.

I'm glad Mexico is cleaning itself up. Los Angeles has done a great job of it; good that they are too.

We don't need the UN to guard our border, but it sure would be nice to have more friendly troops that could move into Mexico proper.
  12. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 15:36
    What about all those wonderful people in law enforcement who are counting on narc jobs to feed their families?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 18:28

It can't be worse than this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6879786.ece
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 03:27
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    It can't be worse than this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6879786.ece
    😲

This is f'n RIDICULOUS?!
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 03:27
    Originally posted by dryhump
    What about all those wonderful people in law enforcement who are counting on narc jobs to feed their families?
    They can start helping to cut down on all the violent crimes that go uninvestigated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree