1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 01:242 edits
    Should women be forced to sign up for the draft? I got to thinking about this when I saw the GOP talking about it. To my amazement, they were all for forcing women to sign up for the draft.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 04:112 edits
    If women are fighting to be treated equally in the military, then I guess it only makes sense that women should be able to be drafted.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 04:24
    Originally posted by vivify
    If women are fighting to be treated equally in the military, then I guess it only makes sense that women should be able to be drafted.
    Are women drafted for the NFL?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 04:442 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are women drafted for the NFL?
    No, because of the being weaker thing. But simply being drafted doesn't mean you'll get chosen to fight on the font lines; only some men who show they are able will be chosen for that. The same goes for women.

Furthermore, modern warfare is much less about physical feats than in years past. A woman can pilot a jet, command a submarine or launch missiles from a base.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 10:56
    Should women be forced to sign up for the draft?
    Of course, why not?
    If men must sign up, so must women.
    I am not a strong supporter of the whole idea of the draft, but if it exists, it should apply to everyone. When war starts then either the army should be able to decide who they need regardless of gender, or all signups should be voluntary.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 12:38
    No, because of the being weaker thing. But simply being drafted doesn't mean you'll get chosen to fight on the font lines; only some men who show they are able will be chosen for that. The same goes for women.

Furthermore, modern warfare is much less about physical feats than in years past. A woman can pilot a jet, command a submarine or launch missiles from a base.
    So you would at least agree that women don't belong on the front lines, I guess that is a start.

So if men and women are drafted, who would be left to stay behind and run things?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 13:401 edit
    But simply being drafted doesn't mean you'll get chosen to fight on the font lines; only some men who show they are able will be chosen for that.

From my experience, during the Vietnam war if a person was drafted they almost always went straight to the infantry or other combat arms designation. Better jobs went to people who enlisted for a longer time and were able to select what MOS they wanted.
    I saw some of the squireliest people you can imagine in the infantry, not exactly the pick of the litter.
    But no, if they drafted women it certainly wouldn't be for front line combat duty unless they were some kind of freak that wanted to try out for it.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:03
    So you would at least agree that women don't belong on the front lines, I guess that is a start.
    Where women serve in the army is a completely different question from whether or not they should be forced to serve when required.

So if men and women are drafted, who would be left to stay behind and run things?
    Usually its anyone who is considered not fit for active duty. The old people and the children.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Usually its anyone who is considered not fit for active duty. The old people and the children.[/b]
    Well they are hardly going to draft every single person between the ages of 18 and 35, are they?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:29

No one "belongs" on the front lines.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:38
    Should women be forced to sign up for the draft? I got to thinking about this when I saw the GOP talking about it. To my amazement, they were all for forcing women to sign up for the draft.
    We should not have any gender based obligations. If men need to sign up then equality mandates that women have the same legal obligations.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 14:54
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Well they are hardly going to draft every single person between the ages of 18 and 35, are they?
    It depends on how bad the war is. And I don't see why 35 would be the upper limit.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It depends on how bad the war is. And I don't see why 35 would be the upper limit.
    If you were 40 and tried to make it through basic training you'd know why 35 would be the upper limit.
    Most 35 year olds couldn't do it unless they lowered the fitness requirements.
    Hell today a lot of 25 year olds don't even qualify to enter the service because they aren't in good enough shape to enter the military due to obesity, and that's among YOUNG applicants:
    http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/2014/05/14/80-of-military-recruitments-turned-down.html
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 16:153 edits

I didn't say women don't belong on the front lines. I said some women will show they can handle being on the front lines, just like some men.

Who'd be left behind? Well, we have the third most populated nation in the world, so I guess we'll scrape by with about 304,000,000.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 16:20
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    If you were 40 and tried to make it through basic training you'd know why 35 would be the upper limit.
    The army can perfectly well use people without putting them through a strenuous basic training. I would probably fail basic training on insubordination grounds anyway. I don't take well to brainwashing.

Most 35 year olds couldn't do it unless they lowered the fitness requirements.
    When an army starts drafting, they take what they can get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree