1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 12:112 edits
    Record numbers of GOP lawmakers are not seeking reelection, instead telling everyone they "want to spend more time with their families" I wonder what brought about this sudden urge for flipping pancakes and driving their kids to soccer practice? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that that they can no longer redraw legislative districts to guarantee themselves a win, or the fact that their President has made them the party of womanizing bigots, who'll get in bed with anyone (even mother Russia) to win an election, would it? Oh well, enjoy those pancakes boys! 😀

Mott and Whodey: The link below is from FOX NEWS so it's OK to read it

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/05/republicans-who-wont-be-coming-back-to-congress-after-2018-midterm-elections.html
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 12:37
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Record numbers of GOP lawmakers are not seeking reelection, instead telling everyone they "want to spend more time with their families" I wonder what brought about this sudden urge for flipping pancakes and driving their kids to soccer practice? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that that they can no longer redraw legislative districts to guarant ...[text shortened]... ics/2018/03/05/republicans-who-wont-be-coming-back-to-congress-after-2018-midterm-elections.html
    Good riddance!
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 13:03
    We have wanted to purge our party for years.

You're just jealous.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 13:13
    Record numbers of GOP lawmakers are not seeking reelection, instead telling everyone they "want to spend more time with their families" I wonder what brought about this sudden urge for flipping pancakes and driving their kids to soccer practice? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that that they can no longer redraw legislative districts to guarant ...[text shortened]... ics/2018/03/05/republicans-who-wont-be-coming-back-to-congress-after-2018-midterm-elections.html
    It's common for parties poised to have a bad election cycle to have recruiting problems, which causes a positive feedback loop, which is one reason we've had so many one-sided mid-terms recently.

It has nothing to do with redistricting (districts are changed after the census, which means the districts are the same as in 2014 and 2016). People don't like to lose elections. These are mostly successful people who could get plum jobs in industry. So, rather than fighting an uphill battle in a terrible political climate, they go home and get a job for twice as much money with half the pressure.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 13:39
    Originally posted by @sh76
    It's common for parties poised to have a bad election cycle to have recruiting problems, which causes a positive feedback loop, which is one reason we've had so many one-sided mid-terms recently.

It has nothing to do with redistricting (districts are changed after the census, which means the districts are the same as in 2014 and 2016). People don't like to ...[text shortened]... le political climate, they go home and get a job for twice as much money with half the pressure.
    SH- Your pragmatism is noted, but it doesn't make what I said any less true.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 14:181 edit
    SH- Your pragmatism is noted, but it doesn't make what I said any less true.
    === they can no longer redraw legislative districts to guarantee themselves a win ===

This part is not true, or at least it has no impact on 2018.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 15:02
    Originally posted by @sh76
    === they can no longer redraw legislative districts to guarantee themselves a win ===

This part is not true, or at least it has no impact on 2018.
    SH - I respect that you are a pretty smart guy, but you might want to read this before you make your final decision. It seems the supreme court does not share your views.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/19/594993409/supreme-court-delivers-blow-to-republicans-declines-to-take-up-pa-redistricting
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 15:55
    SH - I respect that you are a pretty smart guy, but you might want to read this before you make your final decision. It seems the supreme court does not share your views.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/19/594993409/supreme-court-delivers-blow-to-republicans-declines-to-take-up-pa-redistricting
    Read the article.

That district was drawn in 2011 (all districts are drawn after the census). Politicians cannot re-draw their districts now to ensure victory and the districts are substantially unchanged since 2014 and 2016. Re-districting restrictions may have a substantial impact in 2022 and forward, but will not impact 2018.

Certainly, the wave of GOP retirements and declinations to run for re-election cannot be attributed to the inability to re-district.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree