This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 22:14
    Originally posted by sh76
    Was that fun, Finn?
    Much more fun than trolling and bitching and repeating the same opinion for the zillionth iteration without the slightest concession to other voices in this so called debates forum.

As a general rule, I have ended most debates that I joined knowing something new. True I have mainly had to find things out myself, but the debates jogged me to bother, and some of the posters have given great new leads. In exchange, I periodically throw into a debate some stuff I have been reading or cogitating. As you may know, we learn best by trying to paraphrase new ideas in our own words.

So yes, it was fun in its way. But then, I also like playing chess and that is no less unusual for this forum.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:11
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ohhhh, not the 50's, but a decade later during the height of the cold war, well that's different, it was only 50 years ago, so it must be relevant today.
    Just shut up Beavis.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    If I'm a conservative and wish to speak at a University, chances are they will disallow it or they will just shout me down like they do others.

I've seen people with petitions to outlaw freedom of speech or outlaw the entire Bill of rights on major college campus' across the country and students are more than willing to sign it.

Intellectual curiosity? Pfft. Just a bunch of Hitler youth
    50 years ago the university libtards allowed free speech, even welcomed opposing viewpoints.
    YouTube
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:30
    Ancient history. The year now is 2015.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:36
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ancient history. The year now is 2015.
    Next he'll bring up the Crusades to condemn Christianity as violent and just as bad as Islam.
    They all do it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:411 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:46
    You can't stop feelings.
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Apr '16 23:54
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    50 years ago the university libtards allowed free speech, even welcomed opposing viewpoints.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGsFMmcIfOw
    McCarthyism was not in the Middle Ages but in our lifetimes. American totalitarianism has long been evident to observors but of course fish can't see the water, can they Fishface?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 00:08
    Originally posted by finnegan
    McCarthyism was not in the Middle Ages but in our lifetimes. American totalitarianism has long been evident to observors but of course fish can't see the water, can they Fishface?
    The reality is that opposing sides have always tried to silence their critics.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 00:561 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Your lifetime?
    Were you alive in 1952?
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 17:09
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Your lifetime?
    Were you alive in 1952?
    You weren't? Sorry - forgot there are children in the room.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 17:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    If I'm a conservative and wish to speak at a University, chances are they will disallow it or they will just shout me down like they do others.

I've seen people with petitions to outlaw freedom of speech or outlaw the entire Bill of rights on major college campus' across the country and students are more than willing to sign it.

Intellectual curiosity? Pfft. Just a bunch of Hitler youth
    You merely make my own argument for me. American universities are not primarily concerned with academic freedom. They have long been bought into the corporate world and serve the interests of the corporations that fund them,. Student places in the prestige institutions are increasingly dictated by inherited wealth and influence, teaching is a commerical enterprise, routinized and conservative, and the products (qualifications) are of declining intrinsic value. Wealthy students are not paying stupid and uneconomic levels of fees in order to have their prejudices challenged but in order to obtain their entry certificate into a world of corporate greed to which they feel entitled by birth and from birth, while excluding the children of less affluent and influential families and social groups. Yes: I agree with your comparison to Hitler youth.

This all happened in China while Europe was entering its Middle Ages (in fact, arguably while Europe was still in its Dark Ages) and it is predictable that American universities will decay in the same manner under the conflicting pressures they face.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree