1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 20:19
    I bet if an Afrocentric studies class was suggested the libtard students would totally endorse it.
    http://www.amren.com/news/2016/04/stanford-students-reject-western-civilization-by-a-6-to-1-margin/
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:102 edits
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I bet if an Afrocentric studies class was suggested the libtard students would totally endorse it.
    http://www.amren.com/news/2016/04/stanford-students-reject-western-civilization-by-a-6-to-1-margin/
    libtard students ?

Name calling such as this is a testament to your own prejudice and ignorance. One can differ on issues without resorting to this childish practice, in addition, I would suggest the curriculum at Stanford is among the most rigorous, and challenging in the nation, to suggest these kids are retarded in any way just because they reject one class is pretty silly. 😞
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:20
    Makes sense. Why should a university require students to learn something they've already been learning about since grade school?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:171 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Makes sense. Why should a university require students to learn something they've already been learning about since grade school?
    As a balance against the anti American nonsense that they can take for credit.

They have been studying English and Math since grade school too, but courses in those subjects are available.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:19
    Originally posted by vivify
    Exactly!

Once you hit college you shouldn't be required to take things like English, Mathematics, Science or History classes.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:261 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Exactly!

Once you hit college you shouldn't be required to take things like English, Mathematics, Science or History classes.
    I don't see the problem. Why specifically require Western history?

Stanford is in California. There are lots of Asians here. Eastern history should be an alternative.

From the article referenced in the OP:

An effort by a group of Stanford University students to restore a Western civilization class requirement has been decisively rejected by the student body, with voting results released Monday showing it mustering less than 15 percent support.

The ballot initiative was promoted by members of the school’s conservative-leaning Stanford Review. If passed, it would have called for Stanford to require that all freshmen complete a two-quarter course covering “the politics, history, philosophy, and culture of the Western world.” Stanford once possessed a similar requirement, but eliminated it after a student campaign in the 1980s that denounced it as fostering racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Stanford is in California. There are lots of Asians here. Eastern history should be an alternative.

An effort by a group of Stanford University students to restore a Western civilization class requirement has been decisively ...[text shortened]... aign in the 1980s that denounced it as fostering racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms.
    I guess Western Civilization does teach racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:28
    Originally posted by bill718
    I would suggest the curriculum at Stanford is among the most rigorous, and challenging in the nation, to suggest these kids are retarded in any way just because they reject one class is pretty silly. 😞
    No, they are rich kids who pay for their grades. Grade inflation is a major problem at "Stanfurd".

UC Berkeley represent! GO CAL GOLDEN BEARS
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I guess Western Civilization does teach racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms.
    No, the requirement to study Western civ teaches these things.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:311 edit
    Ok, the requirement to take Western Civ teaches racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms, although the course does not.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:36

An effort by a group of Stanford University students to restore a Western civilization class requirement has been decisively ...[text shortened]... aign in the 1980s that denounced it as fostering racism, sexism, and other perfidious -isms.
    They voted. It seems like the inmates running the asylum. If enough just didn't select the class the school would have dropped it anyway.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:38
    They have the syllabus there at Jumbos? 😛
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:40
    Originally posted by normbenign
    They voted. It seems like the inmates running the asylum. If enough just didn't select the class the school would have dropped it anyway.
    How can students who are REQUIRED to take the class "just not select" it?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:43
    How can students who are REQUIRED to take the class "just not select" it?
    Ah, hah! It went from being required, to dropped! There is a middle ground, where it could be offered but not required.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ah, hah! It went from being required, to dropped! There is a middle ground, where it could be offered but not required.
    The requirement was dropped, not the class itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree