1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 12:041 edit
    http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/02/16/harf-we-cant-kill-our-way-out-of-war-against-isis/

A spokesperson for the US State Department recently came out and said that the solution for groups like ISIS are jobs. If they all had jobs and health care and a good retirement system, then it would diffuse the desire to be a terrorist.

My only question is, what jobs are there left to export and do they enjoy eating at McDonalds?

So just remember, the next time you are captured by ISIS and about the be beheaded, burned alive, place on a cross etc., etc., don't panic. Stay calm and just ask them if they need a job.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 13:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/02/16/harf-we-cant-kill-our-way-out-of-war-against-isis/

A spokesperson for the US State Department recently came out and said that the solution for groups like ISIS are jobs. If they all had jobs and health care and a good retirement system, then it would diffuse the desire to be a terrorist.

My only question is, wh ...[text shortened]... live, place on a cross etc., etc., don't panic. Stay calm and just ask them if they need a job.
    I realize the point is a little too subtle for right wingers to grasp, but it is certainly true that high levels of youth unemployment among males in the Middle East increases the ability of violent Islamist groups to recruit from that demographic: The highest rates of youth unemployment are found in the Middle East and North Africa, at roughly 24Â percent each, according to the International Labor Organization.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/magazine/content/11_07/b4215058743638.htm

So yeah, getting more young Middle Eastern males jobs would probably reduce terrorist activity.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 14:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I realize the point is a little too subtle for right wingers to grasp, but it is certainly true that high levels of youth unemployment among males in the Middle East increases the ability of violent Islamist groups to recruit from that demographic: The highest rates of youth unemployment are found in the Middle East and North Africa, at roughly 24Â perce ...[text shortened]...
    So yeah, getting more young Middle Eastern males jobs would probably reduce terrorist activity.
    That seems to be in line with Obama's op ed in the LA Times:
    We know from experience that the best way to protect people, especially young people, from falling into the grip of violent extremists is the support of their family, friends, teachers and faith leaders. At this week's summit, community leaders from Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Boston will highlight innovative partnerships in their cities that are helping empower communities to protect their loved ones from extremist ideologies.

More broadly, groups like al Qaeda and ISIL exploit the anger that festers when people feel that injustice and corruption leave them with no chance of improving their lives. The world has to offer today's youth something better.

Governments that deny human rights play into the hands of extremists who claim that violence is the only way to achieve change. Efforts to counter violent extremism will only succeed if citizens can address legitimate grievances through the democratic process and express themselves through strong civil societies. Those efforts must be matched by economic, educational and entrepreneurial development so people have hope for a life of dignity.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-obama-terrorism-conference-20150218-story.html

Still, it's hard to fathom how a summit of business and community leaders in the US is going to have any effect on the problem he describes in ME.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 14:21
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    That seems to be in line with Obama's op ed in the LA Times:[quote]We know from experience that the best way to protect people, especially young people, from falling into the grip of violent extremists is the support of their family, friends, teachers and faith leaders. At this week's summit, community leaders from Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Boston will ...[text shortened]... s and community leaders in the US is going to have any effect on the problem he describes in ME.
    Obama: Governments that deny human rights play into the hands of extremists who claim that violence is the only way to achieve change.

Maybe we should stop supporting all those in the Middle East that do but then we wouldn't have many partners to bomb with.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 15:55
    Obama: Governments that deny human rights play into the hands of extremists who claim that violence is the only way to achieve change.

Maybe we should stop supporting all those in the Middle East that do but then we wouldn't have many partners to bomb with.
    You might also have to stop supporting yourselves. The US has a far from perfect human rights record.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 21:05
    That seems to be in line with Obama's op ed in the LA Times:[quote]We know from experience that the best way to protect people, especially young people, from falling into the grip of violent extremists is the support of their family, friends, teachers and faith leaders. At this week's summit, community leaders from Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Boston will ...[text shortened]... s and community leaders in the US is going to have any effect on the problem he describes in ME.
    This insipid and tepid analysis doesn't quite account for the role played by vastly wealthy Saudi Arabia in promoting extremist and sectarian versions of Islam across the region and beyond, including not only funding of terror but direct participation of Saudi nationals in terror not least of which, naturally, was the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Centre. Was Osama Bin Laden out of work? Only the way most very wealthy people can afford to be. The only teachers and faith leaders available to most ordinary people in a country like Pakistan is going to be through a madras, often funded by Saudi money.

Nor does he consider the immense wealth from oil that has been corruptly squandered in American backed countries like Nigeria as well as the Gulf. Why is that money not funding jobs and infrastructure and social welfare? Because it is funding the Western capitalist machine instead. Ask HSBC about its charming customer base.

As for his new found concern about human rights, will Obama apply that insight to his extensive use of drone warfare, or to the long deferred closure of Guantanamo Bay? Seems not. Will he be recommending a new concern for human rights to Netenyahu or the Israeli Defence Force or instead continuing the uncritical provision of US money and weapons? Will he be suggesting support for the International Criminal Court? Thought not. Does Obama think the people of Gaza are just hoping for a 9 to 5 office job? Don't they need dignity and liberty as well? How cheaply does he think they can be purchased?

That speech was for nobody's benefit but the fat assed American voters who want to be lulled back to political sleep after a bad dream.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 21:385 edits
    Originally posted by whodey

My only question is, wh ...[text shortened]... live, place on a cross etc., etc., don't panic. Stay calm and just ask them if they need a job.
    That must have been some comedian. It is kind of funny. Maybe the Obama administration could give them jobs as border guards to stop illegal immigration. On second thought, I am sure Obama would rather give them jobs giving the illegal immigrants amnesty and benefit cards. While they are at that they could also register each of them to vote as a Democrat. Yeah, problem solved.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 00:57
    I realize the point is a little too subtle for right wingers to grasp, but it is certainly true that high levels of youth unemployment among males in the Middle East increases the ability of violent Islamist groups to recruit from that demographic: The highest rates of youth unemployment are found in the Middle East and North Africa, at roughly 24Â perce ...[text shortened]...
    Wut about people coming from the US and Europe to fight with ISIS?

Hmmm, seems like you forgot about them.

Perhaps instaed of telling other countries they need to find jobs for their people they should pluck the beam out of their own eye first.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:18
    In the sometimes primitive or at least semi primitive cultures, unemployment is often the norm. Many people are still nomadic, and unemployment would be almost impossible to measure.

Even in our advanced separation of production economy, it is nearly impossible to give an accurate unemployment percentage figure, or raw number.

Who would administer a program to increase employment? Would moving ahead from dark ages culture help? Is it any of our business, economically or militarily?
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:28
    More broadly, groups like al Qaeda and ISIL exploit the anger that festers when people feel that injustice and corruption leave them with no chance of improving their lives. The world has to offer today's youth something better.

Governments that deny human rights play into the hands of extremists who claim that violence is the only way to achieve change ...[text shortened]... s and community leaders in the US is going to have any effect on the problem he describes in ME.
    Al Queda, and now ISIS (ISIL), are organized, sponsored and run by monied interests in the Middle East. Bin Laden was a wealthy heir.

They offer fools gold to desperate people, much the same as the way the Democratic party exploits envy among the poor and middle class in America, never suggesting that the 99% better prepare themselves for the jobs and business of the 21st century.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:30

US foreign aid to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Iran all exceed that given to Israel. Historically, giving away money hasn't made the US friends in the world.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    In the sometimes primitive or at least semi primitive cultures, unemployment is often the norm. Many people are still nomadic, and unemployment would be almost impossible to measure.

Even in our advanced separation of production economy, it is nearly impossible to give an accurate unemployment percentage figure, or raw number.

Who would administer ...[text shortened]... moving ahead from dark ages culture help? Is it any of our business, economically or militarily?
    In primitive cultures, unemployment is nonexistent. The idea that Egypt or Jordan today is largely composed of semi-primitives nomadic tribes is hilariously stupid.

I believe the point the low level State Department employee was making was that these countries needed to take measures that decreased youth unemployment. I don't recall her saying the US had to do it for them.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:33
    US foreign aid to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Iran all exceed that given to Israel. Historically, giving away money hasn't made the US friends in the world.
    Do I have to bother to point out that that statement is ridiculously inaccurate?

I can see that praxeology has made a profound impression on you; you make up a reality and then cling to it in the face of all evidence to the contrary with even more relish than Mises.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 01:40
    In primitive cultures, unemployment is nonexistent. The idea that Egypt or Jordan today is largely composed of semi-primitives nomadic tribes is hilariously stupid.

I believe the point the low level State Department employee was making was that these countries needed to take measures that decreased youth unemployment. I don't recall her saying the US had to do it for them.
    "In primitive cultures, unemployment is nonexistent."

Yes, a point emphasized by Hans Herman Hoppe, who argues that exploitive governments create unemployment by rigging markets, and preventing the price of labor to move toward its ideal. Mises, and Rothbard both argued the same, regarding the Great Depression.

" these countries needed to take measures that decreased youth unemployment. I don't recall her saying the US had to do it for them."

Whether it is their government, or an outsider, the operation of a market economy is a far better solution. The US is a pretty good laboratory proving the ineffectiveness of government in creating jobs and limiting unemployment.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 02:16
    "In primitive cultures, unemployment is nonexistent."

Yes, a point emphasized by Hans Herman Hoppe, who argues that exploitive governments create unemployment by rigging markets, and preventing the price of labor to move toward its ideal. Mises, and Rothbard both argued the same, regarding the Great Depression.

" these countries needed to take me ...[text shortened]... laboratory proving the ineffectiveness of government in creating jobs and limiting unemployment.
    Austrian economics again. (Sigh). Talk about "primitive".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree