1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:23
    http://blog.heritage.org/2010/06/04/statue-of-joseph-stalin-to-be-erected-in-virginia/print/

This Sunday, people around the world will honor the 66th anniversary of D-Day, when over 160,000 troops from the US, Britan, France and Canada bravely stormed the beaches of Normandy, marking a turning point in World War ll. In Bedford, Virginia, a memorial to the invasion will be unveiled with statues of western Alllied leaders, including FDR, Winston Churchill and President Harry Truman. The memorial will also include a bust of dictator Joseph Stalin.

Presidents of Bedford are rightfully outraged, Annie Polland, a Bedford County supervisor, and a volunteer at the memorial told the Lynchburg News and Advavance. "I just don't think it belongs on the hill with them.....To me, Stalin is just a murderer. I just can't see how he fits in with the memorial. They are people we want to remeber. He is someone I'd rather forget."

James Morrison and fellow veterans from the Bedford Post 54 of the American Legion are equally outraged and have been fighting the effort since the plan was announced in 2007. Morrison, author of the book, "Bedford Goes to War: The Heroic Story of a Small Virginia Community in World War ll", said, "It's a disgrace and a dihonor to the veterans."

So why do it? Willion McIntosh, the president of the Memorial Foundation said, "He certainly was a fact of life and a major ally during World War ll.....There is nothing about the presentation that is going to be flattering of Stalin."

Dr. Lee Edwards, a distinguished Fellow at the Heritage Foundation and chairman of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, diagrees. Edwards released a statement saying:

"Since the fall of the USSR, statues of Joseph Stalin have been torn down all over Europe and even in the former USSR itself. The world is closer than ever before to a consensus on the evils of communism and Stalin's primary role in the worst crimes of the last century. And yet a statue of Stalin is included in the National D-Day Memorial, to be dedicated in Bedford, Virginia, this Sunday, June 6. Neare the statue of Stalin, a plaque catalogues Stalin's crimes against millions of people both in Russia and throughout Europe. But no mere plaque can justify the inclusion of the statue which dishonors the heroic individuals who sacrificed so much on D-Day and in the Cold War. A bust of Joseph Stalin has no place in a memorial whose purpose is to salute the brave soldiers who made D-Day a vital victory in the crusade for freedom."

It's times for Mr. McIntosh and those responsible for the memorial in Bedford to do the right thing. Follow the lead of those who were oppressed under Joseph Stalin and tear down this statue.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://blog.heritage.org/2010/06/04/statue-of-joseph-stalin-to-be-erected-in-virginia/print/

This Sunday, people around the world will honor the 66th anniversary of D-Day, when over 160,000 troops from the US, Britan, France and Canada bravely stormed the beaches of Normandy, marking a turning point in World War ll. In Bedford, Virginia, a memorial to the ...[text shortened]... lead of those who were oppressed under Joseph Stalin and tear down this statue.
    Right wing political correctness. Perhaps we should hire a Winston Smith to erase all the mention of Stalin being the leader of our most effective military ally in WW II from our history books.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:362 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Right wing political correctness. Perhaps we should hire a Winston Smith to erase all the mention of Stalin being the leader of our most effective military ally in WW II from our history books.
    Why have any of the "leaders" even mentioned? Is this what the memorial is about? It seems to me that what the memorial is about are those who gave their life for their country, not a history lesson. In addtion, the memorial is there for those still living. So when you offend pretty much everyone who goes to the memorial, what has been accomplished? If it were me, I would remove ALL the statues of the world leaders, but ESPECIALLY Joe Stalin.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:43
    Nobody's talking about making him an unperson marauder, they just don't want to honor him with a statue.
    You do see the difference, right?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 19:01
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Nobody's talking about making him an unperson marauder, they just don't want to honor him with a statue.
    You do see the difference, right?
    Here's what the plaque under the statute "honoring" Stalin says:

“In memory of the tens of millions who died under Stalin’s rule and in tribute to all whose valor, fidelity, and sacrifice denied him and his successors victory in the cold war.”

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/controversial_stalin_bust_installed_at_d-day_memorial/27522/

To have statutes of the other major Allied leaders and not Stalin would be a distortion of history. The site is meant to educate, not merely to honor the dead.
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 19:11
    Well, i think it's ok to have a bust of Stalin displayed as long as his head is impaled on a 6 ft. stake. If a bunch of duhs can find a way to burn down a school in Sweden some contractor can provide a chop saw to bada bing stalin's head.

GRANNY.
  7. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:03
    Who's Joe stalin?
    a relative of Bill Stalin?
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:121 edit
    A nice example of the great deeds of this outstanding man, that you defame so shamefully :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazino_affair

i especially like the examples of reasons for this deportation :

"Novozhilov, Vl., from Moscow. Kompressor works. Driver. Awarded bonuses three times. Wife and child in Moscow. After work he was getting ready to go to the cinema with his wife. While she was getting dressed, he stepped out to smoke a cigarette and was apprehended." (for not having his passport on him)

and the eyewitness report...(not for the faint-hearted!)

"They were trying to escape. They asked us "Where's the railway?" We'd never seen a railway. They asked "Where's Moscow? Leningrad?" They were asking the wrong people: we'd never heard of those places. We're Ostyaks. People were running away starving. They were given a handful of flour. They mixed it with water and drank it and then they immediately got diarrhea. The things we saw! People were dying everywhere; they were killing each other.... On the island there was a guard named Kostia Venikov, a young fellow. He was courting a pretty girl who had been sent there. He protected her. One day he had to be away for a while, and he told one of his comrades, "Take care of her," but with all the people there the comrade couldn't do much.... People caught the girl, tied her to a poplar tree, cut off her breasts, her muscles, everything they could eat, everything, everything.... They were hungry, they had to eat. When Kostia came back, she was still alive. He tried to save her, but she had lost too much blood."
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:171 edit

This Sunday, people around the world will honor the 66th anniversary of D-Day, when over 160,000 troops from the US, Britan, France and Canada bravely stormed the beaches of Normandy, marking a turning point in World War ll. In Bedford, Virginia, a memorial to the lead of those who were oppressed under Joseph Stalin and tear down this statue.
    Presidents of Bedford are rightfully outraged, Annie Polland, a Bedford County supervisor, and a volunteer at the memorial told the Lynchburg News and Advavance. "I just don't think it belongs on the hill with them.....To me, Stalin is just a murderer. I just can't see how he fits in with the memorial. They are people we want to remeber. He is someone I'd rather forget."

We need many more memorials of this sort. The most important lessons of history generally include various people and events that are less than "warm & fuzzy". Those who can't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. If Annie Polland doesn't want to remember these things, too bad. They need to be remembered.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:53
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    [quote]Presidents of Bedford are rightfully outraged, Annie Polland, a Bedford County supervisor, and a volunteer at the memorial told the Lynchburg News and Advavance. "I just don't think it belongs on the hill with them.....To me, Stalin is just a murderer. I just can't see how he fits in with the memorial. They are people we want to remeber. He is ...[text shortened]... nie Polland doesn't want to remember these things, too bad. They need to be remembered.
    Then how about a plaque under his statue stating the millions he murdered? I mean, its a memorial isn't it?

How's that for a history lesson Maurauder? In fact, lets not stop there, lets put a plaque below FDR's name that states the great numbers of Japanese Americans he imprisoned unjustly.
  11. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 20:57
    Could they at least have a hammer and cycle impeded in stalin's frontal cortex. Will stalin have that horse toothed jackass smile on his face? Is there a picy of this statue?

GRANNY.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 23:04
    Then how about a plaque under his statue stating the millions he murdered? I mean, its a memorial isn't it?

How's that for a history lesson Maurauder? In fact, lets not stop there, lets put a plaque below FDR's name that states the great numbers of Japanese Americans he imprisoned unjustly.
    This particular memorial deals with D-Day -- so it should focus on D-Day related events.

But there should definitely be other memorials erected to deal with things like the Japanese Internment Camps and 20th Century Totalitarianism, as well as the civilian death toll from Truman's atom bombs.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 00:202 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This particular memorial deals with D-Day -- so it should focus on D-Day related events.

But there should definitely be other memorials erected to deal with things like the Japanese Internment Camps and 20th Century Totalitarianism, as well as the civilian death toll from Truman's atom bombs.
    Yes, and we all know how important Joe Stalin was to D-Day. 😛

As for the other, I suggest we stand each world leader side by side, including Hilter, and display each "atrocity" under their name. However, the men who ACTUALLY fought should be honored.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 00:31
    Yes, and we all know how important Joe Stalin was to D-Day. 😛

As for the other, I suggest we stand each world leader side by side, including Hilter, and display each "atrocity" under their name. However, the men who ACTUALLY fought should be honored.
    IF there had been no Eastern Front, there would have been no D-Day.

That makes the leader of the Soviet Union pretty important to D-Day.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 00:451 edit
    IF there had been no Eastern Front, there would have been no D-Day.

That makes the leader of the Soviet Union pretty important to D-Day.
    And if it had not been for the competing regimes in these various countries there would have been no D-Day.

To be honest, out of the whole lot of them the only leader I have some respect for is Churchill.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree