1. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 11:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, and we all know how important Joe Stalin was to D-Day. 😛

As for the other, I suggest we stand each world leader side by side, including Hilter, and display each "atrocity" under their name. However, the men who ACTUALLY fought should be honored.
    do you really call him joe in the states, or is it just you making the mistake? sounds strange anyway ! we call it josef here.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 12:39
    Originally posted by shorbock
    do you really call him joe in the states, or is it just you making the mistake? sounds strange anyway ! we call it josef here.
    Joe is an often used short form for Josef here in the US like some people call people named Robert the short form Rob.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 12:411 edit
    I want to call him much worse but I'll stick with Joe since this is a family site and all. 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 12:42
    Oh hell yeah Joe Stalin is the prefered term we know it's Joseph or Josef or whatever.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 14:48
    Uncle Joe is warmer and friendlier.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 16:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Here's what the plaque under the statute "honoring" Stalin says:

“In memory of the tens of millions who died under Stalin’s rule and in tribute to all whose valor, fidelity, and sacrifice denied him and his successors victory in the cold war.”

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/controversial_stalin_bust_installed_at_d-day ...[text shortened]... would be a distortion of history. The site is meant to educate, not merely to honor the dead.
    how about a hitler statue as well then, remembering those who died under his rule?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 16:35
    IF there had been no Eastern Front, there would have been no D-Day.

That makes the leader of the Soviet Union pretty important to D-Day.
    I think there should be another statue of stalin saying something like "I only joined the allies because I was double-crossed by hitler, PS: remember how we raised hell in poland, boy that was fun!"
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 21:42
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I think there should be another statue of stalin saying something like "I only joined the allies because I was double-crossed by hitler, PS: remember how we raised hell in poland, boy that was fun!"
    The purpose of the exhibit is to educate, not repeat stale propaganda. If the British and French had wanted to stop German aggression as early as the Sudetenland crisis (or before in Spain), then they would have had the Soviet Union as a firm ally. Even after the Munich double cross, the Soviets were still attempting to negotiate military assistance to Poland against German attack but this was hampered by the Polish refusal to accept Soviet troops on their soil even in the eventuality of a German invasion. Under the circumstances, the Soviets made the best deal they thought they could.

I realize that actual history is a bit more complicated and not as much "fun" as juvenile exhibitions like your post, but hey what are ya gonna do?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jun '10 21:43
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    how about a hitler statue as well then, remembering those who died under his rule?
    Last I checked, Hitler was not the leader of an ally of the forces that landed on D-Day. Maybe the pro-fascist history you learned is a bit different.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 00:13
    http://blog.heritage.org/2010/06/04/statue-of-joseph-stalin-to-be-erected-in-virginia/print/

This Sunday, people around the world will honor the 66th anniversary of D-Day, when over 160,000 troops from the US, Britan, France and Canada bravely stormed the beaches of Normandy, marking a turning point in World War ll. In Bedford, Virginia, a memorial to the ...[text shortened]... lead of those who were oppressed under Joseph Stalin and tear down this statue.
    Presumably the memorial is remembering the soldiers from those countries ... the figure-heads represent those soldiers ... its not a validation of politics merely a historical monument and whether you like it or not USSR and USA were allies against Hitler.

As a previus poster said if you want to re-write history visit Winston Smith.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 03:09
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Presumably the memorial is remembering the soldiers from those countries ... the figure-heads represent those soldiers ... its not a validation of politics merely a historical monument and whether you like it or not USSR and USA were allies against Hitler.

As a previus poster said if you want to re-write history visit Winston Smith.
    Don't tell me, tell the families of the fallen soldiers who are outraged. Tell them them to get over it and get a clue.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 03:10
    Last I checked, Hitler was not the leader of an ally of the forces that landed on D-Day. Maybe the pro-fascist history you learned is a bit different.
    But it seems Hitler had more to do with D-Day than Joe Stalin.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 06:18
    Don't tell me, tell the families of the fallen soldiers who are outraged. Tell them them to get over it and get a clue.
    Nothing in the article says anything about "the families of the fallen soldiers" so like so many of your posts this is simple hysterical propaganda.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 06:19
    But it seems Hitler had more to do with D-Day than Joe Stalin.
    🙄🙄
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 13:36
    Im telling you because you started this thread.

As for outraged families people outrage far too easily these days. My father died with shrapnel still in him from WWII and he wouldnt have given a flying fig whether or not Joe Stalin was in a commemorative statue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree