21 Mar '10 10:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    30 Jan '09
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 23:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This dispute is not about cutting wages but altering staffing levels to save money to avoid bankruptcy. Your argunebt is simply irrelevant in rn this case.
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 23:48
    Originally posted by Leon Alvarado
    This dispute is not about cutting wages but altering staffing levels to save money to avoid bankruptcy. Your argunebt is simply irrelevant in rn this case.
    The dispute is more than about staffing levels (though this is a major part of it).

There's a pay freeze too - effectively a wage cut.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 03:05
    Why do we put up with 'strikers' who threaten vital public services. All that is needed is to call their bluff and sack them.
    that's right, especially govt workers, then they won't be clogging up public transit slots need by the rest of us.
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 06:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    And, on average, a better quality of life than Americans, longer holidays, and higher productivity.
    Longer holidays -- yes. I had nine weeks vacation when I worked there (5 weeks plus 21 'RTT' days. An RTT day was compensation for the fact that you worked 40 hours/week but by law were only supposed to work 35 hrs/week.) But there was no such thing as a sick or personal day -- that came out of those days, too.

Better quality of life -- No, different quality of life. Living in France can be as annoying as anywhere else. The US is much easier and more convenient. You can find what you need and get it without hassles -- often 24/7. Food is better in France.

More Productive -- No. I'm not sure where this myth comes from, but I know it is false. It took me a month and 12 visits to get a simple phone line repair. My brother-in-law says there is no comparison between his UK group (efficient) and his Paris group (always inclined to argue about their job descriptions). The French attitude to something not working is, "Great! Then I don't have to do ... xyz!" They look forward to things not working.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 09:281 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Better quality of life -- No, different quality of life. Living in France can be as annoying as anywhere else. The US is much easier and more convenient. You can find what you need and get it without hassles -- often 24/7.
    Speaking as a person who has found a better quality of life despite living in a apart of the world where everything is far, far less convenient than where I once lived in Europe, I really don't understand why people always think of 'quality of life' in terms of business transactions, consumption etc. Oh how those who are obsessed with the mathematics of economics have, first hogged the definition of, and then deliberately shrivelled the meaning of the human condition! 😛
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 09:382 edits

9. Joined
    30 Jan '09
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 13:241 edit
    Do not flatter yourself that your argument is 'too difficult' for me to comprehend. You are evidently just too thick to be able to see that it is totally irrelevant.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 14:34

11. Joined
    30 Jan '09
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 13:412 edits
    Your 'points' are completely irrelevant in the context of the present 'dispute', which is solely concerned with trying to save a loss-making enterpise from dissolution by reducing costs.
  12. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 23:05
    Your 'points' are completely irrelevant in the context of the present 'dispute', which is solely concerned with trying to save a loss-making enterpise from dissolution by reducing costs.
    You claimed it was not about cutting wages. It clearly is.

As usual, in your various persona, you've no idea what you're on about.
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 10:03

14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 10:12
    What is to be Leon Alvarado. In 9 words. A masterpiece of encapsulation.
  15. Joined
    30 Jan '09
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 13:25
    Trolls and leprechauns are part of your culture, not mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree