Strikers

Strikers

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LA

Moves
19 Mar 10

Why do we put up with 'strikers' who threaten vital public services. All that is needed is to call their bluff and sack them.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Mar 10

If you sack all personnel, who is going to do the work?

B

Moves
19 Mar 10

Originally posted by Leon Alvarado
Why do we put up with 'strikers' who threaten vital public services. All that is needed is to call their bluff and sack them.
As much as I hate it when there is a strike in public transit for some idiotic reason, your idea doesn't make any sense. Let alone all the legal objections (I'd guess you don't care much for them), sacking them all would make sure that there isn't just a day or two of trouble, but rather months and months while you try to replace the workers and train the replacements and even after that the service will still suffer because off all the lost experience in the organisation. In short, no one calls their bluff because it isn't a bluff, the workers do hold a lot of power in an organization.

F

Moves
19 Mar 10

Why do we put up with 'strikers' who threaten vital public services.
If the services are 'vital' maybe the workers should be paid more. It's well worth looking into that. The facts of each case are different.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 Mar 10

There are laws protecting strikers in some cases, of course.

But aside from that, I'm sure there are times where it's more efficient to negotiate with strikers than the fire them.

Where it's less efficient to negotiate them than to fire them and where the law does not protect them, they are fired. Reagan fired the air traffic controllers who went on strike. Major League baseball, when confronted with the threat of an Umpire strike, simply said that all strikers would be fired.

Where that tactic is legal and would work, it's employed.

Moves
19 Mar 10
1 edit

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Mar 10

Why do we put up with management that cause their employees to strike, thereby threatening vital public services? All that is needed is to call their bluff and sack them.

HG

Moves
19 Mar 10

In the interest of clarity, who is threatening strike, or is there a current strike?

LA

Moves
20 Mar 10

Originally posted by Barts
As much as I hate it when there is a strike in public transit for some idiotic reason, your idea doesn't make any sense. Let alone all the legal objections (I'd guess you don't care much for them), sacking them all would make sure that there isn't just a day or two of trouble, but rather months and months while you try to replace the workers and train the repl ...[text shortened]... heir bluff because it isn't a bluff, the workers do hold a lot of power in an organization.
Ronald Reagan called the bluff of the aircraft traffic controllers in the USA who went 'on strke' in the 80s, and replaced them overnight, despite the fact that they were far more skilled,and therefore more difficult to replace, than the waiters and waitresses now trying to hold BA to ransome.

F

Moves
20 Mar 10

Ronald Reagan called the bluff of the aircraft traffic controllers in the USA who went 'on strke' in the 80s, and replaced them overnight, despite the fact that they were far more skilled,and therefore more difficult to replace, than the waiters and waitresses now trying to hold BA to ransome.
I think a lot of people, in the U.S. and observers out here too, thought that what Ronald Reagan did to the aircraft traffic controllers was unjust. It was however a demonstration of political muscle that the aircraft traffic controllers were not equal to.

LA

Moves
20 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
I think a lot of people, in the U.S. and observers out here too, thought that what Ronald Reagan did to the aircraft traffic controllers was unjust. It was however a demonstration of political muscle that the aircraft traffic controllers were not equal to.
Just or unjust my point was to remind Barts that the action worked even though it involved far more skilled staff,and therfore more difficult to replace, than those involved in the current dispute with BA.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
20 Mar 10

Just or unjust my point was to remind Barts that the action worked even though it involved far more skilled staff,and therfore more difficult to replace, than those involved in the current dispute with BA.
Why do you hate ordinary workers so much?

LA

Moves
20 Mar 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I think that anyone dissatisfied with his or her job should look for a better one, like 'Old Bill' in WW1 who advised his mates to look for a better shell-hole in which to shelter if they were not happy witn the one they were in.

F

Moves
20 Mar 10

Although I have not been keeping close tabs on this story, I think the cabin crew's claim seems just. I think the poor industrial relations at B.A. have a lot to do with management's handling of the negotiation process.

F

Moves
20 Mar 10

I think that anyone dissatisfied with his or her job should look for a better one...
That is one possibility. But of course people have collective bargaining rights too. So this means that people don't automatically have to walk away from dissatisfying situations. They can choose to try to make the situation better for themselves and for their successors. This would be another another possibility rather different from yours.