1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 08:25
    Very little of Donald Trump's ballyhooed tax cut package has made its way to main street. The vast majority of those that benefited from this tax package are the Fortune 500 and America's 1%. Now the American working class taxpayer foots a massive national debt bill to benefit the rich

Tax cuts - They never learn, do they?

https://itep.org/moodys-and-conservative-economists-agree-the-trump-corporate-tax-cut-is-not-helping-workers/

https://www.newsweek.com/republican-tax-cuts-trump-wage-increases-879800
  2. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 10:47
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Very little of Donald Trump's ballyhooed tax cut package has made its way to main street. The vast majority of those that benefited from this tax package are the Fortune 500 and America's 1%. Now the American working class taxpayer foots a massive national debt bill to benefit the rich

https://itep.org/moodys-an ...[text shortened]... not-helping-workers/

But ... what about trickle down? It just takes a while...

Sad!
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 10:521 edit
    Originally posted by @lundos

Sad!

Yes indeed. I've been hearing that it will start trickling very soon - since 1981.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 11:35

Yes indeed. I've been hearing that it will start trickling very soon - since 1981.
    Trickle down, or Reaganomics, always reminded me of the phrase

"Please don't pee on me and tell me it's raining."
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 19:39
    I could never understand why giving money to the rich to spend would
    help the economy but giving money to the poor to spend would not.
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 20:04
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I could never understand why giving money to the rich to spend would
    help the economy but giving money to the poor to spend would not.
    It's not about giving anything, that's the language used to lull the plebs like yourself. The language of envy used to make the green (envy green) beetles feel better about themselves.

'Taking less' is the term you're looking for, and even then be careful, it doesn't mean taking less than what is taken from poor folk, it just means taking less than what was taken before.

Don't be so gullible.
  7. RSA
    Moves
    27 Aug '18 20:53

https://itep.org/moodys-an ...[text shortened]... not-helping-workers/

I'm going to be the painful person that points out that your articles are rather old.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 00:24
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    I'm going to be the painful person that points out that your articles are rather old.
    mchill is always good for a laugh...LOL
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 00:38
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    'Taking less' is the term you're looking for, and even then be careful, it doesn't mean taking less than what is taken from poor folk, it just means taking less than what was taken before.

Don't be so gullible.
    You are plainly naïve or stupid if you think society can be run without giving and taking.
    Nobody can grow money in their veggie plot. It is taken from somewhere. And gullible?
    I bet you've only been using the word since you were told of its omissiont in the OED.
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 01:18
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    You are plainly naïve or stupid if you think society can be run without giving and taking.
    Nobody can grow money in their veggie plot. It is taken from somewhere. And gullible?
    I bet you've only been using the word since you were told of its omissiont in the OED.
    Didn't say anything about vegie plots or running whatever-this-that or the-other.

Just called you out on your language. Tax is taken, if less tax is taken that is not the same as it being given. It's an uncomfortable distinction for those that wallow in envy, but without commenting one way or the other on the morality of taking more or less tax, that is the correct term to use.

Cutting tax is "giving money" to those it is being taken from. 🙄 wolfgang logic,
    haw haw.
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 01:38
    Reducing the cost of doing business results in job creation, more demand for workers, reducing the supply of workers, and driving wages up. Sure, there are businesses that will pocket the money. But other businesses build and expand. So pick your poison. Raise taxes, grow government, and trickle a few pennies per dollar down to the citizens it was intended for, or, give businesses a tax break and trickle the aforementioned effects down to the people.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 03:52
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Reducing the cost of doing business results in job creation, more demand for workers, reducing the supply of workers, and driving wages up. Sure, there are businesses that will pocket the money. But other businesses build and expand. So pick your poison. Raise taxes, grow government, and trickle a few pennies per dollar down to the citizens it was in ...[text shortened]... for, or, give businesses a tax break and trickle the aforementioned effects down to the people.
    Doesnt matter how many times you say it.
    It doesn't work.
    Didn't work in 80s.
    Doesn't work now.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 05:19
    Reducing the cost of doing business results in job creation, more demand for workers, reducing the supply of workers, and driving wages up. Sure, there are businesses that will pocket the money. But other businesses build and expand. So pick your poison. Raise taxes, grow government, and trickle a few pennies per dollar down to the citizens it was in ...[text shortened]... for, or, give businesses a tax break and trickle the aforementioned effects down to the people.
    Tom, people like wolfgang learn their economics from old Walt Disney comics, they have this picture of rich folk and businesses filling their swimming pool with money and then frollicking in it, very, very few businesses 'pocket' the money. Successful businesses are businesses that are good at spending money, they can't afford to have it filling their pool or stuffing their mattress or any of the other imaginations of left whingers. Invest, invest invest. Straight financial investments, investment in R and D, investment in growth.

....Goobermint on the other hand...oh dear.

Years back the NZ goobermint decided to put money into helping solo parents, particularly women. Solo parents numbered in their hundreds, fast forward to now and their are many thousands with multi generations knowing nothing but a life on the DPB. This is where wolfgang would prefer to see the money go, spent on growing misery and abuse.
  14. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 07:23
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Tom, people like wolfgang learn their economics from old Walt Disney comics, they have this picture of rich folk and businesses filling their swimming pool with money and then frollicking in it, very, very few businesses 'pocket' the money. Successful businesses are businesses that are good at spending money, they can't afford to have it filling their pool ...[text shortened]... PB. This is where wolfgang would prefer to see the money go, spent on growing misery and abuse.
    Invest, invest, invest. Really? For all companies?

You live in a theoretical world. I like your world, as a matter of fact. It's so positive and always expects the best from people and companies. There is no waste in (bigger) companies, no harmful business practices, no price/market stickiness, no moral hazard, no adverse selection, and no externalities.

Though, for some reason the above doesn't involve government, though governments are aggregated people and companies.

It must be nice living there.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 08:15
    Reducing the cost of doing business results in job creation,
    Lets take your assertions one by one.

Imagine a business, your choice - any industry, any size.
    And its costs are suddenly reduced.

Explain to me how that creates jobs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree