Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    05 Dec '17 14:40
    Even before watching comment, it seemed clear, that the GOP have put up with Donald and the damage he has inflicted on the office of the President and America's reputation abroad as long as he could deliver one thing. Significant tax reform, on a scale most probably could only dream about. With their tax agenda mission accomplished, will they be loyal to the man who made it possible, or with their loot in hand will they suddenly develop a conscience and find ways to get rid of him, before he triggers WW3?
  2. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    05 Dec '17 15:23
    Interesting take on the matter. Donald has not yet delivered on ACA, they might want that, too. Now that they showed some resistance they can blame him fully on the next attempt.
  3. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    05 Dec '17 19:03
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Even before watching comment, it seemed clear, that the GOP have put up with Donald and the damage he has inflicted on the office of the President and America's reputation abroad as long as he could deliver one thing. Significant tax reform, on a scale most probably could only dream about. With their tax agenda mission accomplished, will they be loyal to the ...[text shortened]... will they suddenly develop a conscience and find ways to get rid of him, before he triggers WW3?
    with their loot in hand will they suddenly develop a conscience and find ways to get rid of him, before he triggers WW3?



    I don't think so. Remember, they still want to replace the ACA with a system that benefits HMO's and big pharmaceuticals even more than it already does, not to mention doing as much environmental damage as possible, in order to benefit the 1%. Once this is over, they may ditch Trump, then they'll go back home and hide behind their church.
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    05 Dec '17 23:56
    Originally posted by @mchill
    ......Once this is over, they may ditch Trump, then they'll go back home and hide behind their church.
    Given that religious organisations can now fund candidates, what do you see changing in the US in ten years.

    For starters, how about a repeal of Roe vs Wade? And in terms of social welfare, less tax payer funded programs, vs private tax exempt charity?
  5. 06 Dec '17 09:50
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Even before watching comment, it seemed clear, that the GOP have put up with Donald and the damage he has inflicted on the office of the President and America's reputation abroad as long as he could deliver one thing. Significant tax reform, on a scale most probably could only dream about. With their tax agenda mission accomplished, will they be loyal to the ...[text shortened]... will they suddenly develop a conscience and find ways to get rid of him, before he triggers WW3?
    the president shouldn't be able to veto what brand the toilet paper is in Air Force One, let alone any legislation. It goes without saying that he shouldn't be anywhere near nukes.
  6. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    06 Dec '17 10:57
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Interesting take on the matter. Donald has not yet delivered on ACA, they might want that, too. Now that they showed some resistance they can blame him fully on the next attempt.
    Is a 20% corporate tax rate enough of a win to chalk up for now, in the face of a certain bloodbath at the polls in 2018? How do the Republicans hide actual facts like increased taxes and increased health care costs from their rural base? When do all the hardworking conservative types, who may have actually bought into Trump's promises realize they've been played? Or are the church funded candidates simply going to ignore facts and amp up the godless liberalism rhetoric and hope the faithful don't notice?
  7. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    06 Dec '17 14:45
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Given that religious organisations can now fund candidates, what do you see changing in the US in ten years.

    For starters, how about a repeal of Roe vs Wade? And in terms of social welfare, less tax payer funded programs, vs private tax exempt charity?
    Possible, but not likely. If the Mueller investigation doesn't gut the entire Trump administration and the GOP's majority, the next 2 elections will. This group is pretty unpopular.
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Dec '17 14:53
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Is a 20% corporate tax rate enough of a win to chalk up for now, in the face of a certain bloodbath at the polls in 2018? How do the Republicans hide actual facts like increased taxes and increased health care costs from their rural base? When do all the hardworking conservative types, who may have actually bought into Trump's promises realize they've been ...[text shortened]... g to ignore facts and amp up the godless liberalism rhetoric and hope the faithful don't notice?
    The attempt will be made to hide the bad news till 2019 and their coup is complete.
  9. 06 Dec '17 15:14
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanellis/2017/12/04/ted-cruz-529-education-savings-amendment-to-tax-reform-is-a-big-win-for-families/#52d750296c45

    Looks like the tax law will allow for 529 plans to give to education before college.

    Nice!
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    Caustic/Disagreeable
    06 Dec '17 15:26
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanellis/2017/12/04/ted-cruz-529-education-savings-amendment-to-tax-reform-is-a-big-win-for-families/#52d750296c45

    Looks like the tax law will allow for 529 plans to give to education before college.

    Nice!
    Another boon for the upper income:

    Affluent families reap almost all of the benefits from the federal tax incentives. Currently, any capital gains or dividends produced by 529 savings plan investments are not taxed. This provision almost exclusively benefits the seven in ten families with 529 plans who have six-figure incomes, because lower-income families are not liable for taxes on capital gains and dividends.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Who reaps the benefits of these tax breaks? The main beneficiaries are upper-middle-class families. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) found that in 2010, 47 percent of families with 529 plans had an annual income of over $150,000. (Note that only 11 percent of families with children made more than $150,000 that year.)[4] The tax benefits associated with 529 plans also skew towards higher-income families, according to the GAO. The median tax savings for families making up to $100,000 was $561, compared to $1,958 for families making between $100,001 and $150,000, and $3,132 for families with incomes over $150,000.

    https://www.brookings.edu/research/a-tax-break-for-dream-hoarders-what-to-do-about-529-college-savings-plans/
  11. 06 Dec '17 15:28
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Another boon for the upper income:

    Affluent families reap almost all of the benefits from the federal tax incentives. Currently, any capital gains or dividends produced by 529 savings plan investments are not taxed. This provision almost exclusively benefits the seven in ten families with 529 plans who have six-figure incomes, because lower-income fa ...[text shortened]... rookings.edu/research/a-tax-break-for-dream-hoarders-what-to-do-about-529-college-savings-plans/
    I suppose those who can afford to save in a 529 tax plan is considered rich by DNC standards.

    No one should have that much discretionary income it seems.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Dec '17 15:33
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I suppose those who can afford to save in a 529 tax plan is considered rich by DNC standards.

    No one should have that much discretionary income it seems.
    Least of all the donald.
  13. 06 Dec '17 15:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Least of all the donald.
    Well, to be fair, there needs to be an elite ruling class of some kind in government to oversee all the poor folk.

    This is the natural order of things it seems.

    They all send their kids to private schools but preach to us about how good public education is, just like with health care.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    Caustic/Disagreeable
    06 Dec '17 15:40
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I suppose those who can afford to save in a 529 tax plan is considered rich by DNC standards.

    No one should have that much discretionary income it seems.
    Try actually reading my post.
  15. 06 Dec '17 15:51
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Try actually reading my post.
    So let's say it helps the rich. So what?

    Are you really that concerned with deficit spending? If so, how much is too much?