1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:121 edit
    It seems that Texas is on the verge of usurping the federal ban on incandescent light bulbs by proposing to only make and use them in the Lone Star state.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-adv-texas-light-bulbs-20110710,0,4858840.story

This is in response to GE petitioning law makers to ban the traditional incandescent light bulbs on the premise that it would help save the environment. No matter how you feel about the premise, which we have been over and over on this sight ad naseum, one thing is sure and that is in the process they closed down factories in the US (who made incandescents) and shipped the jobs to China where the new and improved bulbs are supposidly made. Texas wants jobs and is a shining example of a state that knows how to lower unemployment.

I have to say, I love Texas!! I think it no small coincidence that the Alamo resides there.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    It seems that Texas is on the verge of usurping the federal ban on incandescent light bulbs by proposing to only make and use them in the Lone Star state.
    Having presumably addressed - at last - the enormous problems with its education system, threats to its environment and the de facto corruption rife in its 'bidness' money politics, the Texas legislature spends time cocking the snook at common sense by championing decades old and inefficient technology.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:451 edit
    ...one thing is sure and that is in the process they closed down factories in the US (who made incandescents) and shipped the jobs to China where the new and improved bulbs are supposidly made. Texas wants jobs and is a shining example of a state that knows how to lower unemployment.
    Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making bulbs that use fewer watts because they have halogen capsules surrounding the filaments? People are going to be buying them, clearly. What's going to stop them from buying bulbs from factories in Texas as they have in the past?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Having presumably addressed - at last - the enormous problems with its education system, threats to its environment and the de facto corruption rife in its 'bidness' money politics, the Texas legislature spends time cocking the snook at common sense by championing decades old and inefficient technology.
    What should be done to Texas for their supposide shortcomings? Should the federal government step in and force them to comply?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:141 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making bulbs that use fewer watts because they have halogen capsules surrounding the filaments? People are going to be buying them, clearly. What's going to stop them from buying bulbs from factories in Texas as they have in the past?
    The same could be done for the auto manufacturers. Why not force them to make cars that are all hybrids in Texas? The same could be said for the food they eat. Why not ban all Happy Meals like they did in San Fran? After all, eating such filth can't be good for you and only adds to the woes of Medicare etc.

Where does it end?
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:19
    The same could be done for the auto manufacturers. Why not force them to make cars that are all hybrids in Texas? The same could be said for the food they eat. Why not ban all Happy Meals like they did in San Fran? After all, eating such filth can't be good for you and only adds to the woes of Medicare etc.

Where does it end?
    I don't get it. Do you have a frigging point?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 04:40
    Your OP paints a scenario which seems to be founded on the idea that Texans can only make old inefficient bulbs and that, even with three years' notice, technological change in the marketplace will lead to job losses specifically in Texas. Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making the new bulbs?
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 05:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your OP paints a scenario which seems to be founded on the idea that Texans can only make old inefficient bulbs and that, even with three years' notice, technological change in the marketplace will lead to job losses specifically in Texas. Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making the new bulbs?
    Because YEEEEEHAW!
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 05:28

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-adv-texas-light-bulbs-20110710,0,4858840.story

This is in response to GE petitioning law makers to ban the traditional incandescent light bulbs on ...[text shortened]...

I have to say, I love Texas!! I think it no small coincidence that the Alamo resides there.
    Once again, Texas reveals itself to be a goofy place in terms of politics. But I'm glad they got their priorities straight.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 10:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    For the sake of arguement, if it could be shown that making the older light bulbs would save jobs and cost people less to use in the long run, would that be good enough reason to flip the feds the bird FMF?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 12:18
    For the sake of arguement, if it could be shown that making the older light bulbs would save jobs and cost people less to use in the long run, would that be good enough reason to flip the feds the bird FMF?
    What kind of "sake of argument" is that? It doesn't save jobs, and it doesn't save money. Incandescent light bulbs are inefficient. I don't approve of the ban either (I prefer raising the tax on energy consumption instead and let the market do the work), but why are you getting so upset over such a trivial matter? Oh well, I guess I know the answer to that question already - there's a Democrat in office.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 12:29
    I'll try just once more. Why your talk of lost jobs? Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making the new bulbs?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 15:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'll try just once more. Why your talk of lost jobs? Why don't the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs start making the new bulbs?
    Why don't you ask the manufacturers? If making the newer light bulbs save money, then I would think they would do it on their own. Otherwise they are not very good business people. The better question is, why are bureaucrats trying to make these decidions for them?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 15:15
    Why don't you ask the manufacturers?
    Because I am asking you. Your thread, your subject matter, your assertion. You claimed in your OP that there'd be job losses and you implied there'd be factory closures across the state of Texas. Last chance, whodey, if you're at all interested in engaging in discussion of what you yourself claimed in your own OP: Why do think the factories in Texas that used to make incandescent light bulbs cannot start making the new bulbs for which there is clearly going to be a massive market in the years ahead?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because I am asking you. Your thread, your subject matter, your assertion. You claimed in your OP that there'd be job losses and you implied there'd be factory closures across the state of Texas. Last chance, whodey, if you're at all interested in engaging in discussion of what you yourself claimed in your own OP: Why do think the factories in Texas that used to ...[text shortened]... ing the new bulbs for which there is clearly going to be a massive market in the years ahead?
    Why is it any of your business as to why they want to make incandescent light bulbs? In a free society we would not be deciding such things for other people who have an expertise in something we do not.

As for making jobs, Texas seems to know what they are doing compared to the rest of the country.

Are you suggesting that Texas is purposefully making something that will not increase jobs/revenue simply to piss off bureaucrats in Washington?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree