1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 09:183 edits
    Likely only a temporary victory for Texas women due to Republican continued aggression, but nice nonetheless. An difficult old-style filibuster.

Abortion bill dies after late-night chaos, confusion
    Opponents celebrated. They said they were fighting the bill because they wanted to protect women’s rights and preserve their access to safe, legal abortions.

SB5 would have banned abortion starting at 20 weeks in the pregnancy. It also would have imposed tighter restrictions on abortion clinics, forcing them to meet ambulatory surgical center standards, which opponents of the bill said would cause mass closure of the facilities. It would have required doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges within 30 miles, and it would have set out new regulations for administering abortion-inducing drugs.

Moments after [Lt. Gov.] Dewhurst declared that the proposal did not pass, a group of Senate Democrats took to the Capitol rotunda to celebrate with pro-choice advocates.

“Senate bill 5 be dead,” said Sen. Kirk Watson, of Austin, who heads the Senate Democratic Caucus, flanked by TV cameras and about 100 folks wearing burnt-orange t-shirts. “Your voices were heard.”

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/06/abortion-bill-dies-after-late-night-chaos/
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 16:50
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Likely only a temporary victory for Texas women due to Republican continued aggression, but nice nonetheless. An difficult old-style filibuster.

[b]Abortion bill dies after late-night chaos, confusion

Opponents celebrated. They said they were fighting the bill because they wanted to protect women’s rights and preserve their access to safe, l ...[text shortened]...

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/06/abortion-bill-dies-after-late-night-chaos/[/b]
    I agree. The GOP wants to "get the government off our backs", but they don't have a problem with the government getting on women's backs regarding their right to choose.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:12
    Originally posted by bill718
    I agree. The GOP wants to "get the government off our backs", but they don't have a problem with the government getting on women's backs regarding their right to choose.
    Yes, the GOP is pushing this all across the country in various states and on the federal level. Big government.

Not helping their gender gap very much. Will continue to lose the Presidency.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:41
    Right. And telling medical doctors they have to shove a medically unnecessary apparatus inside a woman's vagina to punish her for exercising her constitutional right.

They're supposedly against big guvamint but they support the government literally raping women through legislation.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:56
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Right. And telling medical doctors they have to shove a medically unnecessary apparatus inside a woman's vagina to punish her for exercising her constitutional right.

They're supposedly against big guvamint but they support the government literally raping women through legislation.
    Texas Republicans passed a forced sonogram law a while back. Force a medially unnecessary sonogram even over protest of doctor and patient. Big government. The Republican Party.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:58
    Republicans force transvagina* probes prior to abortion. Wisconsin Republicans inject big government between doctor and patient.

Wisconsin Republicans passed a bill requiring a medically unnecessary ultrasound to obtain an abortion. Typically, such an ultrasound will require an inserted transvagina* probe. Again, this government-forced procedure pushed by Republicans is required even over the protest of the doctor and patient.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/14/wisconsin-assembly-approves-abortion-ultrasound-bill/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/us-usa-wisconsin-abortion-idUSBRE95D03I20130614

Similar Republican efforts to restrict abortion and inject government between doctor and patient women are underway in Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Alabama, North Dakota, Indiana, Arkansas and other states where Republican governors and legislators are in control.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:00
    Example of big-government anti-women activity in other Republican-controlled states.
    North Dakota's governor, Republican Jack Dalrymple, signed a law in March that outlaws abortions as early as six weeks into a pregnancy or when a fetal heartbeat is detected, making North Dakota the most restrictive state in the nation to get an abortion. Dalrymple also signed laws that same month that made North Dakota the first state to ban abortions based on genetic defects and genetic selection and to impose hospital-admitting requirements on providers.

Also in March, Arkansas Republicans passed a law that bans most abortions after 12 weeks. The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Reproductive Rights have won a preliminary injunction blocking the law in federal court, however, arguing it's unconstitutional and contradicts the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. That ruling legalized abortion until a fetus could survive outside the womb.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, signed a bill in April that blocked tax breaks for abortion providers, banned sex-selective abortions and declared life begins at fertilization. And the U.S. House of Representatives is currently considering legislation that would ban almost all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

A federal court in May overturned a 20-week abortion ban in Arizona, saying the law violated a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy before a fetus is viable. Viability is generally considered to start at 24 weeks. Some nine other states have enacted similar bans and have faced court challenges.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/14/wisconsin-assembly-approves-abortion-ultrasound-bill/#ixzz2WygbMAyI
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:02
    House Republicans propose far-reaching bill to restrict abortion

Thanks Republicans for continuing to insure that the Democrat candidate will be elected President in 2016.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/56476502-68/abortion-bill-committee-anti.html.csp
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:04

[b]Abortion bill dies after late-night chaos, confusion

Opponents celebrated. They said they were fighting the bill because they wanted to protect women’s rights and preserve their access to safe, l ...[text shortened]...

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/06/abortion-bill-dies-after-late-night-chaos/[/b]
    President Obama tweet last night: “Something special is happening in Austin tonight."
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:09
    Republicans force transvagina* probes prior to abortion. Wisconsin Republicans inject big government between doctor and patient.

Wisconsin Republicans passed a bill requiring a medically unnecessary ultrasound to obtain an abortion. Typically, such an ultrasound will require an inserted transvagina* probe. Again, this government-forced procedure pushed ...[text shortened]... a, Indiana, Arkansas and other states where Republican governors and legislators are in control.
    What is it about the l in "transvaginal" that you need to * it out? Transvagina is ok, but you gotta censor trasnvaginal?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:19
    President Obama tweet last night: “Something special is happening in Austin tonight."
    Did another NBA star come out of the closet?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:21
    Absolutely. I would like to be able to just shoot people who annoy me, but the government won't get off my back man!!

😠
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:231 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What is it about the l in "transvaginal" that you need to * it out? Transvagina is ok, but you gotta censor trasnvaginal?
    Yes. Would not let me post the word.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 02:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    Absolutely. I would like to be able to just shoot people who annoy me, but the government won't get off my back man!!

😠
    Are you equating shooting someone with getting an abortion? If so, the Supreme Court and the Constitution disagree with you.

Keep it up. I love that gender gap. The Republican Party going backwards.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Jun '13 05:32
    It is a temporary victory, but it accomplished two things.

1. It energized Texas liberals.

2. The Democrats have a new national figure. Expect that she will have a primary speaking slot at the next convention, even if she's gerrymandered out of office.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree