1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 20:553 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/texas-shooting-suspects-phone-too-encrypted-access-now-181005096--abc-news-topstories.html

Texas church shooting suspect and Air Force veteran Devin Kelley escaped from a New Mexico mental health hospital in 2012, according to an El Paso Police Department report, which also said he "was attempting to carry out death threats" that he "had made on his military chain of command."

A witness said Kelley "suffered from mental disorders and had plans to run from Peak Behavioral Health Services ... and take a bus out of state,” according to the report.

The report said Kelley had previously been caught sneaking firearms onto Hollaman Air Force Base where he served in New Mexico. The report also noted that Kelley was facing military criminal charges.

Kelley was located and did not resist or make any comments about harming himself or other officers, the report said, adding that he was released to Sunland Park police officers.

The Air Force official confirmed the details in the police report, including that Kelley was a danger to himself and others, faced military criminal charges, had been sneaking firearms onto Holloman Air Force Base and had made threats toward his chain of command. The official also confirmed the description from the person at the facility that Kelley "suffered from mental disorders."

Peak Behavioral Health said in a statement today, "We are deeply committed to providing the best patient care. We never discuss whether someone was or was not a patient at our hospital, and we never discuss any information about our patients. Preserving the confidentiality of this information is not only a matter of policy, it is federal and state law."

The facility added, "Our hearts go out to the victims of this horrible act and their families and friends, and like everyone else in Texas, we are doing everything we can to help the community in recovering and healing from this tragedy."

Investigators have been unable to access information on the phone belonging to because it is encrypted, officials said today.

But Christopher Comb of the FBI said today authorities will press forward "until we find an answer."

"We're working very hard to get into the phone and that will continue until we find an answer," Combs said. "I don't know how long that's going to be to be, quite honest with you. It could be tomorrow, a week or a month. We don't know yet. We're going to keep working on the phone and the other digital media we have."

The device "highlights an issue that you have all heard about before with the advance of the technology and the phones and the encryptions -- law enforcement, whether it's at the state, local or federal level, is increasingly not able to get into these phones,” Combs said.

He added, "I'm not going to describe what phone it is because I don't want to tell every bad guy out there what phone to buy."

Portraits of Texas victims: 8 members of 1 family die, including pregnant mom, 3 kids

Texas church shooting suspect nearly struck a 2-year-old boy, father says

Texas church shooter 'was there to kill everybody,' source says
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 21:04
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/texas-shooting-suspects-phone-too-encrypted-access-now-181005096--abc-news-topstories.html

Texas church shooting suspect and Air Force veteran Devin Kelley escaped from a New Mexico mental health hospital in 2012, according to an El Paso Police Department report, which also said he "was attempting to carry out death threats" th ...[text shortened]... a 2-year-old boy, father says

Texas church shooter 'was there to kill everybody,' source says
    Why do you keep looking for defend the right to bear arms by trying to find any other person, process or organisation to blame?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 21:072 edits
    So here we have someone who escaped a mental hospital, and who had a dishonorable discharge, and attempted to kill members of his own family, who was later freed to then later carry out this attack. I reckon attempted murder is not as bad as actual murder. Just come back when you are successful I guess Is the message.

He was not legally allowed to own the gun, but from what I have heard and was not in the article, the Air Force failed to notify federal authorities of the history of the shooter which should have disallowed him to own a gun.

From the top down, it appears to be a complete and total failure of the government system, something we are akin to seeing every day.

At the other end, was a law abiding man without mental issues who used his gun to stop him, something the government system was either unwilling or unable to do.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Why do you keep looking for defend the right to bear arms by trying to find any other person, process or organisation to blame?
    It was illegal for him to own the gun. He did not have the right to bear arms.

Guns are a liberty, something that should not be allowed for those infringing on the liberty of others.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 21:161 edit
    So here we have someone who escaped a mental hospital, and who had a dishonorable discharge, and attempted to kill members of his own family, who was later freed to then later carry out this attack. I reckon attempted murder is not as bad as actual murder. Just come back when you are successful I guess Is the message.

He was not legally allowed to own t ...[text shortened]... used his gun to stop him, something the government system was either unwilling or unable to do.
    He did not have a dishonorable discharge.

He was not charged with attempted murder.

It remains unclear whether the Air Force erred at all despite the media repeatedly claiming it:

Some experts said the military is required to report only criminal cases that result in dishonorable discharges into the database, while others said any military conviction for domestic violence should be reported.

http://www.gazettenet.com/How-did-he-get-it-13579055

The government may be said to have failed in one way; the gun he used was illegal under the Brady Bill passed in 1994 which Congress allowed to lapse 10 years later.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 21:224 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder

It remains unclear whether the Air Force erred at all despite the media repeatedly claiming it.
    From the article that for some reason did not copy and paste.

Kelley served in the Air Force from 2010 until 2014 and he left after receiving a bad conduct discharge, which is the second-lowest level of dismissal in the armed services.

He was court-martialed in 2012 on charges of assault and aggravated assault on his spouse and a child, according to the Air Force.

According to documents from the Air Force, Kelley pleaded guilty to hitting his then-wife with his hands and choking her, as well as striking and hitting his stepson "with a force likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm."

Sounds like attempted murder to me.

From what I've heard, his history with the Air Force should have prevented him from legally owning a gun.

Even if not, it should have been obvious to all that he should not have been allowed to own a weapon.
  7. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 00:03

It remains unclear whether the Air Force erred at all despite the media repeatedly claiming it:

Some experts said the military is required to report only criminal cases that result in dishonorable discharges into the database, while others said any military conv ...[text shortened]... was illegal under the Brady Bill passed in 1994 which Congress allowed to lapse 10 years later.
    The man was a mentally deficient, criminal, lunatic you Godless Jackwagon. Why should the rights and freedoms of anyone be limited by rules put in place to constrain the most inept murderous dregs of humanity? This is why we have to have hot liquid warnings on coffee cups.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 00:27
    Originally posted by @hand-of-hecate
    The man was a mentally deficient, criminal, lunatic you Godless Jackwagon. Why should the rights and freedoms of anyone be limited by rules put in place to constrain the most inept murderous dregs of humanity? This is why we have to have hot liquid warnings on coffee cups.
    Had Ted Cruz had his legislation passed, it may have stopped the troubled soul.

But they can't even seem to pass a decent health care plan, let alone a gun control law.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/11/07/ted-cruz-says-legislation-could-have-prevented-texas-shooting-but-democrats-pulled-the-plug/
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 00:56
    Getting the facts straight is a first step, one that whodey rarely ever takes. His response to my post shows my statements were accurate.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 01:47
    Getting the facts straight is a first step, one that whodey rarely ever takes. His response to my post shows my statements were accurate.
    Whodey has never been one to let facts stand in the way of truth.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 06:48
    Guns are a liberty.
    The problem in a nutshell.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 09:22
    Guns are a liberty, something that should not be allowed for those infringing on the liberty of others.
    Would you allow me "the liberty" of standing behind you with a knife at your
    throat.? I won't harm you - but it is my right to stand where I want. OK with that?
  13. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Nov '17 12:02
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Would you allow me "the liberty" of standing behind you with a knife at your
    throat.? I won't harm you - but it is my right to stand where I want. OK with that?
    Tighten up Princess, that's a logically fallacious argument and intellectually dishonest.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 04:18
    If this was 'the way it is' in America, then the vast majority of Republican voters would have to give up their guns.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 07:53
    Tighten up Princess, that's a logically fallacious argument and intellectually dishonest.
    I'll be generous and ask you to only prove one of those false assertions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree