1. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    18 May '10 02:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    After WWII, was there a returning general who could have been analogous to Julius Caesar under slightly different circumstances, or is there a fundamental difference in the two Republics prohibiting this?
    haha u r an idiot this is america land of the free we dont have caesars or dicktaters
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 May '10 18:33
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    For pretty much all of the past century, the US has been extremely prosperous and one of the world's top powers (if not THE top power). This sort of thing tends to produce a strong consensus that the system is sound. Even during times of political divisiveness and seeming mass cynicism (like we have now), almost no one has seriously wanted to see the kind ...[text shortened]... g to return America to its past glory while calling for the slaughter of some scapegoat group.
    I'd like to think that if an American Caesar were to establish himself against the [Senate's] will (as Caesar did), that we would not have to wait 5 years for him to be assassinated (44 BC). Americans are more impatient than that -- and we have more FIREARMS at hand.

Of course, what would happen afterwards is open to question.
  3. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    19 May '10 11:06
    Originally posted by joneschr
    OK, so if any American general would have been inclined to become an American Caesar (if given the possibility) who would it be? Any timeframe, but lets rule out Civil war.

I'm thinking Patton.
    Three American Presidents have held the highest ranking position in uniform prior to being elected: Washington, Grant and Eisenhower. I wish you had not excluded the Civil War as I think Col. Custer may have had a large enough ego to have been a Ceaser. LOL I would nominate Gen George S. Patton jr but, He saw himself as a warrior only (in his life at that time and several other life times in the past).
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 May '10 17:04
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    Three American Presidents have held the highest ranking position in uniform prior to being elected: Washington, Grant and Eisenhower. I wish you had not excluded the Civil War as I think Col. Custer may have had a large enough ego to have been a Ceaser. LOL I would nominate Gen George S. Patton jr but, He saw himself as a warrior only (in his life at that time and several other life times in the past).
    He thought he was Napoleon reborn.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '10 01:45
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    I wish you had not excluded the Civil War as I think Col. Custer may have had a large enough ego to have been a Ceaser.
    He didn't really have any claim to being a 'great' general though, did he?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree