1. Germany
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 07:51
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The EU document doesn't name a figure, but the European Council's document contains a sentence that talks about financial settlement but does not name a figure. Amounts up to 60 million Euros have apparently been bandied around by officials. Although since this seems to be Britain's normal contribution it's not obvious to me why it needs to be mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-39454447
    The U.K. has ongoing commitments with respect to funding several E.U. programmes that run over multiple years. For each such programme there needs to be some kind of agreement as to whether the U.K. will continue to participate in any form, or whether they will no longer contribute, in which case the EU and the U.K. need to form some kind of agreement on whether the U.K. should pay to cover up the shortfall. An example is science funding, of which much now comes from the EU, and the U.K., hosting many top research institutes, now receives about 20% of this money. Most likely the U.K. will wish to continue to participate in research funding at the European level, but it will cost them to do so, more so than they are contributing now.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 08:31
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The U.K. has ongoing commitments with respect to funding several E.U. programmes that run over multiple years. For each such programme there needs to be some kind of agreement as to whether the U.K. will continue to participate in any form, or whether they will no longer contribute, in which case the EU and the U.K. need to form some kind of agreement o ...[text shortened]... g at the European level, but it will cost them to do so, more so than they are contributing now.
    That would be an ongoing thing though. The document seems to be talking about a one off payment.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 08:32
    Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
    Anyone who thinks that 'Brexit' is having and will have no effect one way or the other on the North/South Irish border is missing something, so your statement is ridiculous as I think (and hope) that you know well enough. So of course I will 'blame' 'Brexit' if the border goes hard, (bad thing) just as I will 'blame' 'Brexit' if as a result of it the ...[text shortened]... criticism of that which people write, it really isn't clever or helpful. And anyway, what team?
    Your claims are ridiculous. The Irish situation as you well know is rooted in centuries of tribal conflict. Yes Brexit will have some effect, of course as The ROI is in the EU, that's obvious. But having some effect on, and being responsible for, are not the same thing, so I suggest you also take some responsibility for you write.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 13:42
    Have you all buggered off yet?
    The two years of whining have surely come to a close!

Although I do feel sorry for various pals who's shops are suffering from this stupidity.

And no, they can't buy flowers from the US...
    And no, buying Bordeaux and Riesling in China doesn't quite work.
    And no, holiday trips in the form of long weekends doesn't really work in Australia.

Ah. Yes. Reality.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 15:25
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That would be an ongoing thing though. The document seems to be talking about a one off payment.
    Yes, but one can imagine a one-off payment in order to sever the U.K.'s responsibility for those EU incentives to which it no longer wishes to contribute.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 15:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, but one can imagine a one-off payment in order to sever the U.K.'s responsibility for those EU incentives to which it no longer wishes to contribute.
    As I understand it, the UK is part of the EU for the next two years or as long as negotiations last. So, we would be making the normal contribution during that time. If the UK is committed to other payments, such as your science example, then I wouldn't expect to be paying it all at once, but in an ongoing fashion. So it's not clear to me what they're on about.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 18:04
    Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
    Anyone who thinks that 'Brexit' is having and will have no effect one way or the other on the North/South Irish border is missing something, so your statement is ridiculous as I think (and hope) that you know well enough. So of course I will 'blame' 'Brexit' if the border goes hard, (bad thing) just as I will 'blame' 'Brexit' if as a result of it the ...[text shortened]... criticism of that which people write, it really isn't clever or helpful. And anyway, what team?
    The only reason for the border going hard will be if the EU insist on implementing their free trade means free movement mantra with respect to Northern Ireland, they could allow free trade between ROI and NI without free movement. There may be another issue arising from Brexit regarding ROI and the UK, at the moment Irish citizens have free movement to the UK by virtue of their Irish citizenship on top of and predating their free movement rights as fellow citizens of the EU, if things get really silly that might also get revisited by the UK as it tumbles over the edge of the cliff.
    If on the other hand it resulted in a united Ireland within an EU that could stop preening itself long enough to afford Irelands historical links with the UK some consideration then at least one good thing would have come out of Brexit.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    02 Apr '17 20:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your claims are ridiculous. The Irish situation as you well know is rooted in centuries of tribal conflict. Yes Brexit will have some effect, of course as The ROI is in the EU, that's obvious. But having some effect on, and being responsible for, are not the same thing, so I suggest you also take some responsibility for you write.
    What 'claims?' In the first place where did I 'claim' that 'Brexit' was 'responsible' for the Irish situation? I simply said that 'Brexit' could either have a positive or negative effect on the border as it now exists, and now you seem to agree with me; closing the border or letting it remain more open will certainly be 'some effect'. Whereas, I don't expect 'Brexit' to have an effect on, what was it, global warming or 'my team', whatever that is. You seem to be very good at reading things which aren't there, and then trying to use them against the person who doesn't write them.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    06 Apr '17 06:41
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/04/daily-chart-2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree