1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 17:30
    The movie, The Big Short is excellent and clearly shows why we need Bernie Sanders in the White House and as many Dems as possible in Congress. The abuses of Big Business and Wall Street are destroying the vast majority of U.S. citizens economically. The next time the big banks fail, it will be far worse globally because international economies have not fully recovered from the last bomb in 2008.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 17:42
    Originally posted by Phranny
    The movie, The Big Short is excellent and clearly shows why we need Bernie Sanders in the White House and as many Dems as possible in Congress. The abuses of Big Business and Wall Street are destroying the vast majority of U.S. citizens economically. The next time the big banks fail, it will be far worse globally because international economies have not fully recovered from the last bomb in 2008.
    The movie aside, why are people on both sides of the Isle still supporting the same crooks that bailed out Wall Street and the Banks the last time, and allowed them to continue the same policies that led to the 2008 meltdown, that led to each and every bank failure of the past century?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 17:57
    Originally posted by Phranny
    .http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/robert-reich-why-sanders-plan-bust-big-banks-so-much-better-clintons

The dems aren't guilt-free on this.
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 18:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    .http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/robert-reich-why-sanders-plan-bust-big-banks-so-much-better-clintons

The dems aren't guilt-free on this.
    I totally agree that both parties have been bought and sold by Wall Street and other sources of massive wealth. It appears that Sanders is far cleaner than anyone else running and he seems to get it regarding the impact of money on government in the U.S. and the economy along with the dangers and opportunities posed by global climate change.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 19:36
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The movie aside, why are people on both sides of the Isle still supporting the same crooks that bailed out Wall Street and the Banks the last time, and allowed them to continue the same policies that led to the 2008 meltdown, that led to each and every bank failure of the past century?
    Obviously because the US system of government is corrupt in its design. Corruption is not just legalized but a requirement of office. (and I am not just talking senators and presidents, it applies to many other posts as well including judges.)
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 20:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Obviously because the US system of government is corrupt in its design. Corruption is not just legalized but a requirement of office. (and I am not just talking senators and presidents, it applies to many other posts as well including judges.)
    I don't think the US system is any more corrupt than others around the world, and probably not better than many. The problem is people. Governments everywhere are run by humans, who tend to seek their own betterment, by hook or by crook.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 20:27
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I don't think the US system is any more corrupt than others around the world, and probably not better than many.
    It is significantly more corrupt than many other countries. However there are also many other countries with similarly corrupt systems.

The problem is people. Governments everywhere are run by humans, who tend to seek their own betterment, by hook or by crook.
    And those problem people have created a highly corrupt system which is used to great effect. It remains the case that the system itself is set up so that corruption is a fundamental part of the system and a required part of the system. If the system were changed to at least make corruption less of a requirement then corruption could be significantly reduced.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 21:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 21:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I do not think the U.S. is corrupt "by design". it has become corrupt because the voting electorate has allowed those with heaps of money to buy off politicians.I certainly trust elected officials more than the heads of corporations.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 21:18
    Please elaborate; how is the US system any more "corrupt" than any other representative democracy?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 21:281 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 23:06
    A professor of mine had an apt phrase which applies marvelously to this post.

LANGUAGE ON HOLIDAY
  13. Germany
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 07:321 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Please elaborate; how is the US system any more "corrupt" than any other representative democracy?
    Corruption in politics is a larger problem in the US compared to some other representative democracies, mainly because of:
    a) legalized bribery;
    b) the existence of gerrymandering and "safe" seats;
    c) the district voting system.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results
    7 out of 10 countries at the top are multi-party representative democracies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree