1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 12:09
    I read Will's column today addressing the federal government's ambition to create more standard curriculum. The Dept of Education was founded in 1979. I graduated in 1973. I can't see how this department has provided any improvement in educating our children. I'm quite the progessive but in this case perhaps this is big government for big government's sake with no actual outcome of improving anything.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 14:35
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I read Will's column today addressing the federal government's ambition to create more standard curriculum. The Dept of Education was founded in 1979. I graduated in 1973. I can't see how this department has provided any improvement in educating our children. I'm quite the progessive but in this case perhaps this is big government for big government's sake with no actual outcome of improving anything.
    I agree.
    That is why Ron Paul and others are for doing away with the Dept. of Education.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 14:55
    Heretic!!

Stone him!! 😛
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 18:57
    "A previous Department of Education was created in 1867 but soon was demoted to an Office in 1868.[3] As an agency not represented in the president's cabinet, it quickly became a relatively minor bureau in the Department of the Interior. In 1939, the bureau was transferred to the Federal Security Agency, where it was renamed the Office of Education. In 1953, the Federal Security Agency was upgraded to cabinet-level status as the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare." (Wikipedia)

Then in 1979...

Are you objecting to its location in the government? If it was a bad idea generally, it was in place when you graduated, it was just not at an independent cabinet level.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 00:28
    Just like Rick Perry said.

He wants to get rid of the Departments of Education, Commerce and um.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 13:57
    Sing it!!

Departement of education....what is it good for...absoultely noth'in!!. I'll say it again, department of education.....what is it good for.....aboslutetly noth'in!!
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 13:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Just like Rick Perry said.

He wants to get rid of the Departments of Education, Commerce and um.
    Poor Rick Perry. I wonder if he sits up at night trying to remember what other departement he was going to cut. Then again, by now he has probably forgotten the entire interaction ever occured.
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 14:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sing it!!

Departement of education....what is it good for...absoultely noth'in!!. I'll say it again, department of education.....what is it good for.....aboslutetly noth'in!!
    I know that is true for a Republican.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 14:51
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I know that is true for a Republican.
    For the love of God, tell us how the department of education has saved the US education system!!

Anyone?
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 20:52
    For the love of God, tell us how the department of education has saved the US education system!!

Anyone?
    Tell us how you amassed such great knowledge and skills. Sea World trainers? Or was it George Lincoln Rockwell?
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 01:40
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Tell us how you amassed such great knowledge and skills. Sea World trainers? Or was it George Lincoln Rockwell?
    There is a direct line relationship to the decline of American K-12 education, and the amount of federal meddling (money spent by the Dept or Education). Most federal money is contingent on locals doing stuff that costs more than the money they get. In many cases they buy in, and the money promised dries up, but the program costs go on.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 11:59

Anyone?
    Assuming the department of education is responsible for maintaining overall quality of education in the country (as it is in countries I am familiar with), I would agree the US department of education must be pretty useless. The state of education of some of the Americans on this forum is appalling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree