1. Germany
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:39
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Is that Donald Duck?
    Nah, Donald Duck is not impressed by the goofy quacking of politicians.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Nah, Donald Duck is not impressed by the goofy quacking of politicians.
    Yeh, I kind of thought that the Duck leaned a bit left, like the whole Disney clan.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm not sure one is worse than the other.

If you listened to Obama before the election, you would have seen someone chastising "W" for being in wars abroad and spending like a drunken sailor.

But then when he enters office, he picks up where Obama left off.

I could really care less what politicians promise or say, cuz its all crap.
    Interesting to see how balanced you become when put in a pinch like this 😉
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 02:241 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting to see how balanced you become when put in a pinch like this 😉
    I actually think Donald will be worse. It does not have to do with Donald so much as it is the system that seems to defecate on the Constitution more and more with each succeeding President.

So if it's not Donald, it will be some other cookie cutter statist who will take up the task at hand.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 15:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    I actually think Donald will be worse.
    You say "actually" as though you think you are begin a bit "out there".

You American political fundies crack me up
  6. Germany
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 16:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You say "actually" as though you think you are begin a bit "out there".

You American political fundies crack me up
    It boggles the mind what a politician should do to make whodey happy.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 16:33
    It is probably, the very thing that you have commented on, that there is so little, if any, difference between the parties and politicians.

The two biggest blows to the Constitution of the US were the Civil War, which ended federalism, and the institution of the Federal Reserve, which made banks essentially a part of the government.

Reverse these two, and I suspect whodey and I would be less complainers.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 16:35
    It is probably, the very thing that you have commented on, that there is so little, if any, difference between the parties and politicians.

The two biggest blows to the Constitution of the US were the Civil War, which ended federalism, and the institution of the Federal Reserve, which made banks essentially a part of the government.

How, exactly, do you propose to reverse the Civil War?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Oct '15 16:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    How, exactly, do you propose to reverse the Civil War?
    I've already said that laws are seldom reversed, so the idea of "reversing the Civil War" is mind boggling.

Still many are still convinced that federalism (for now dead) is part of the American heritage, and that we'd be well served if the States had more authority, and less intrusion from the national government.

Is there any reason why SCOTUS can reverse the laws of perhaps the majority of States by finding gay marriage a right? Michigan by a vote of the people passed a "Defence of Marriage Amendment" which was overturned by 5 lawyers. That seems an overstepping of authority, whether you are in favor of or oppose the actual decision. That power wasn't originally given SCOTUS. They took it for themselves. Just as Lincoln took away the right of States to leave the Union.

Almost every year, some State proposes secession, and at some point, one or more will do it. The question is whether the President at that time will take the position that Lincoln did.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 22:401 edit
    Who exactly does this government make happy?

You?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 22:42

You left out the Federal income tax which was declared unconstitutional befre othe turn of the 20th century, so they just made an amendment.

This gave the power to the federal government over the states. The Fed is just an extention of that power of the purse.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree