1. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 15:44
    It must be, in view of recent events:
    # In one of the oldest nations, one of the most famous for its contributions to humanity, its people voted to abandon a group of 28 nations, deciding to be alone.

It then also decided that the leader to steer the nation out of that group would be a person who had voted to remain in the group.
    ## In one of the newest nations, the one seen by itself as the greatest nation in the world, the more powerful, with the biggest economy, its people voted into its presidency someone who has shown himself to be an absolute and dangerous fool - and who also wants to distance himself from the rest of the world.

Despite the great majority knowing all this, its buffoon is still in place.
    These are just two of the most glaring and intriguing examples.

Truthfully, I'm sure the historian Duchess64 would be able to add quite a few more.

So, can anyone deny that the earth is now moving backwards?!

Or does anyone have a better explanation?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:151 edit
    I think you're being a bit of a drama queen.

The world has seen a lot of good times and bad times in recent history. This will continue. Neither the USA nor Great Britain are the centres of the world and these "hiccups" are precisely that: minor events that will just be bumps in the future history of mankind.

Stop being so dramatic and have a cup of tea.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat

The world has seen a lot of good times and bad times in recent history. This will continue. Neither the USA nor Great Britain are the centres of the world and these "hiccups" are precisely that: minor events that will just be bumps in the future history of mankind.

Nonsense

We are all gonna die!!!!! 😲

Incidentally, my button is bigger than yours.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:22
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Nonsense

We are all gonna die!!!!! 😲
    Well, yes. That too.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:241 edit

I would add also that the the world economy in general and the economy of that country that elected the "absolute and dangerous fool" in particular are stronger than ever and growing at a torrid pace and that scientific and cultural achievement are at all-time highs.

I don't think there is a "center of the world" right now, though if you did have to choose two, New York and London would certainly be the two clearest candidates, but if the US and UK are those centers, the world will be just fine.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:27
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I would add also that the country that world economy in general and the economy of that country that elected the "absolute and dangerous fool" in particular are stronger than ever and growing at a torrid pace and that scientific and cultural achievement are at all-time highs.

I don't think there is a "center of the world" right now, though if you did have t ...[text shortened]... he two clearest candidates, but if the US and UK are those centers, the world will be just fine.
    You made me look up the difference between "centre" and "center".
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:31
    You made me look up the difference between "centre" and "center".
    What did you find out? I always thought they're just American vs. British spelling of the same word.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:38
    What did you find out? I always thought they're just American vs. British spelling of the same word.
    Yeah, according to http://grammarist.com/spelling/center-centre/ that's it. Apparently sub-consciously my mind chose the English version rather than the American version.

"There is no difference in meaning between center and centre. Center is the preferred spelling in American English, and centre is preferred in varieties of English from outside the U.S.

Some people do make distinctions between the words. For instance, some prefer to treat center as the word for a place or institution and centre as the word for the middle point of something. But while these preferences may be taught in some schools and are perhaps common among careful English speakers in Canada, the U.K., and elsewhere, they are not broadly borne out in 21st-century usage."
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 17:01
    I would add also that the the world economy in general and the economy of that country that elected the "absolute and dangerous fool" in particular are stronger than ever and growing at a torrid pace and that scientific and cultural achievement are at all-time highs.

I don't think there is a "center of the world" right now, though if you did have to choose ...[text shortened]... he two clearest candidates, but if the US and UK are those centers, the world will be just fine.
    "I would add also that the the world economy in general and the economy of that country that elected the "absolute and dangerous fool" in particular are stronger than ever and growing at a torrid pace and that scientific and cultural achievement are at all-time highs."

Don't worry. The "Elite Political Class" won't tolerate being undercut in their criminal enterprise for long...wealthy/empowered slaves are not desirable.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 18:20
    Originally posted by @ptriple42
    # In one of the oldest nations, one of the most famous for its contributions to humanity, its people voted to abandon a group of 28 nations, deciding to be alone.

It then also decided that the leader to steer the nation out of that group would be a person who had voted to remain in the group.
    ******************** ...[text shortened]... nyone deny that the earth is now moving backwards?!

So if the world is moving clockwise, shouldn't we all be dizzy?

I mean, if were true, the world is moving clockwise, the only way to not get dizzy would be to spin counter clockwise

Right?
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 19:063 edits

******************** ...[text shortened]... nyone deny that the earth is now moving backwards?!

."Or does anyone have a better explanation?"

ducky lucky does
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jan '18 06:424 edits

I don't think there is a "center of the world" right now, though if you did have to choose ...[text shortened]... he two clearest candidates, but if the US and UK are those centers, the world will be just fine.
    NY is OK. A city that can produce Woody Allen and Billy Joel can't be all bad. 😀
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '18 08:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So if the world is moving clockwise, shouldn't we all be dizzy?

I mean, if were true, the world is moving clockwise, the only way to not get dizzy would be to spin counter clockwise

Right?
    That's right.
    Carry on.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '18 10:04

Rat, let me distract you from your cheese, put some meat in my statements and refute your easy dismissal.

I would agree with your dismissal if either country under discussion was, for ex., Tokelau or Nauru: similar events there would have no effect at all in the rest of the world. But you are making a very tall prediction that the recent events I mentioned in the USA and Great Britain will be just bumps in the future of mankind.

It is well known that it is quite difficult to determine the future importance of any specific event if you are in the middle of it; you don't have enough of an "angle" for perspective. To dismiss them outright, therefore, Rat is foolish.

We are, after all, talking about two of the nations with the greatest influence in the rest of the world, for the past several hundred years in one case.

# What happened there were two major oddities: one, it was proven beyond any doubt that voting is emotional, not rational, but despite that its results still contain all the power to effect major changes to the future of that country.
    And its citizens let it be?!

Two, against all logic or common sense, a person who voted against such changes is the person elected (given the task) to implement them(?!?).

## The absolute and dangerous fool was elected not by a majority of votes but by an outdated system (unused anywhere else) contrary, not for the first time, to the expressed will of the majority;
    He is, as all polls show by a substantial margin, disliked and disapproved and scorned by his own people;
    His juvenile and despicable displays - and everything else - have not been enough to remove him from office because the elected members of his adopted party do not want to lose their positions;
    The majority [excluding Israel and Honduras(?)/Guatemala(?)...] of the rest of the world despises and mocks him.

The problem is major: this is the most influential country of all and what happens there affects the rest of the world, whether one likes it or not.

Hiccups? Minor events? Go back to your cheese, Rat.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Jan '18 11:00
    Doom and Gloom
    I'm scaaaaaaaaaaared!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree