1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 20:342 edits
    Many of Americas problems can be traced back to this one issue, yet most people simply don't think this is very important. As Danny Devito once said, "who needs education when you can blow up the world?!" In an age when Larry the cable guy is our country's unofficial posterboy, I was a little sad, but not very suprised to read this.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/07/28/youll-never-guess-what-americans-consider-the-leas.aspx🙁
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 21:24
    Originally posted by bill718
    Many of Americas problems can be traced back to this one issue, yet most people simply don't think this is very important. As Danny Devito once said, "who needs education when you can blow up the world?!" In an age when Larry the cable guy is our country's unofficial posterboy, I was a little sad, but not very suprised to read this.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/07/28/youll-never-guess-what-americans-consider-the-leas.aspx🙁
    Not just America.
    I think education is always down the list in times of strife, mainly because
    putting money/resource/effort into education is an investment for the
    future and people want instant fixes to their problems.

It's like the old management training Q.

Put these tasks into their order of priority.

A. Urgent/not important
    B. Urgent/important
    C. Non-urgent/not important
    D. Non-urgent/important

Of course the correct answer is B then D
    But so many do B then A

I think education is considered "important" but there are so many urgent
    fixes required elsewhere that it gets side-lined, put-off for another day
    when all the other problems are fixed.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 01:313 edits

Any government with tyrannical aspirations should have a goal of dumbing down the population first. The US is down to 48th in the world when it comes to science and math.

State run education rests squarely on the shoulders of our politicians. But alas, as with everything else it's never their fault, is it?

With a population without such critical thinking skills, who cares?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 15:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    Any government with tyrannical aspirations should have a goal of dumbing down the population first. The US is down to 48th in the world when it comes to science and math.

State run education rests squarely on the shoulders of our politicians. But alas, as with everything else it's never their fault, is it?

How can you have equality in a country where some people are smart and others are stupid. You can't make the stupid people smart, but you can leave the smart people stupid as long as you don't educate them.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 01:52
    Originally posted by whodey

Whether the poor performance of government schools is intentional "dumbing down", or simply the incompetence of government in accomplishing difficult and complex tasks, you can decide.

All the things that we see as constantly improving, are products and services of the private sector. Things we gripe about are usually government productions.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 01:53
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How can you have equality in a country where some people are smart and others are stupid. You can't make the stupid people smart, but you can leave the smart people stupid as long as you don't educate them.
    There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance.
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 12:26

It doesn't surprise me at all.

Most Americans are inward looking and care nothing
    for anything or anyone outside the USA. Most of the
    300 million or so Americans have never been outside
    the USA and don't even own a passport.

YouTube
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 12:44
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody

Most Americans are inward looking and care nothing
    for anything or anyone outside the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnHprUGKF0
    A completely inaccurate statement told merely to reinforce an anti-American stereotype. If you made a similar statement about a minority group, there would be a immediate hostile reaction and a discussion of your motives to make such a statement.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 15:19
    Originally posted by normbenign
    There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance.
    Not when you are taking entrance exams. If you miss a problem because you are stupid you look exactly the same as the person who misses the question out of ignorance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree